The most entitled CFB fans in America

My2Sense

Recruit
Premium
We're all hungry for a new coach. We all want the same thing - our next ring. And we all believe that the next hire - if its the right hire - gives us that chance. But over the last few weeks, I'm blown away by the sense of entitlement from some of this fanbase - as if we are somehow entitled to the 2nd coming of Jimmy Johnson to walk through the Hecht and say he'll work for free so that we can hire Bill Walsh as OC and Belichick as DC on the cheap.

This is the fan base that believes we are somehow entitled to and better than Chip Kelly (too gimmicky, too finesse, too much ego), Gary Patterson (hasn't won ****), Mark Dantonio (Big 10 - don't want), Mark Richt (not hungry), Dan Mullen (bad fit), Tom Herman (not proven).

This is the fan base that would say, "Nick Saban? Don't want - lost to Mississippi this year."
This is the fan base that would say, "Urban Meyer? Don't want - did you see how they got owned by Michigan State?!?"
This is the fan base that would say, "Jim Harbaugh? Don't want - Got beat by his brother in the Super Bowl."
This is the fan base that would say, "Pete Carroll? Don't want - struggling in the NFC West this year."

And this is the fan base who is OFFENDED that we are "interviewing" Butch Davis because, after all, why should we bother "interviewing". The coach we want should be groveling at our feet and if they are, should accept any offer we provide without due diligence.

This is mostly the BBB crowd. For the record, I love Butch and if Butch ends up being our guy - I'm good with it. But I'm only good with it if we are willing to do the hard work and decide he's the best choice above all options who otherwise told us "no thanks". But for those of you in the BBB crowd who are kicking everyone else to the curb and insist we hire Butch without question, consider that:

* Butch hasn't won more ships than Kelly, Patterson, Dantonio, Richt, Mullen, or Herman.
* Butch's record the last 4 years he was a coach were WORSE than Kelly, Patterson, Dantonio, or Richt. If he had no ties to the U and had just been a coach at UNC, all of you would be screaming, "He's Not Worthy!" For the record:
* Butch's last 4 years at UNC - 4-8, 8-5, 8-5, 8-5
* Kelly's 4 years at freaking OREGON (with no CFB tradition or recruiting base): 10-3, 12-1, 12-2, 12-1
* Patterson's last 4 years at TC for God's sake U: 7-6, 4-8, 12-1, 10-2
* Dantonio at Michigan State (we're OSU and Michigan's biatches): 7-6, 13-1, 11-2, 11-1
* Richt in UGA: 12-2, 8-5, 10-3, 9-3
* Dan Mullen in Mississippi Holy Crap We have Never Won Anything but are in a miserably difficult division State: 8-5, 7-6, 10-3, 8-4

If looking at the record, you're making excuses for Butch, why aren't you making excuses for the other guys? You're a blind-*** fan and/ or feel entitled.

And let's not forget that programs with great history (even if I hate them) have all endured **** before they got it right. Notre Dame has exactly 1 natty since 1978 and had to put up with Bob Davie, Tyrone Willingham, and Charlie Weiss before they found Brian Kelly - who you wouldn't been ok with for the U.

Before Saban showed up, Bama had exactly one NC since 1979 and had to put up with Mike DuBose, Dennis Franchione, and Mike Shula.

My point is NOT that we should settle. My point is that we should stop acting as if coaching candidates like Kelly, Patterson, Dantonio, Richt, Mullen, or Herman are somehow beneath us.

My point is that we shouldn't think that actually "interviewing" Butch - or any worthy candidate - are signals that the administration are incompetent.

And my point is, let's get this right - let's get the best coach possible. But let's not behave as fans as if there's only one coach in the world who can possibly be the right hire. And let's not behave as if we should start flying banners against coaches who are completely worthy of our consideration.

Advertisement
Yeah well, all examples you give are just sheer idiocy. Can't stop stupid.

Can, however, show passion and not let the BOT off the hook on this hire. The only fans left are the ones who frankly are entitled to a thorough coaching search. If they ***** this one up, that's the final nail.

Or, you could look at this from another perspective. This is the first time, in many MANY years that this fan base has anything to feel optimistic about. The last go around on this coaching carousel had our inept AD scraping the bottom of the barrel for the likes of Al ******* Golden (who almost no one had ever heard of) and Randy Edsall, etc. Only now, we find out that they passed over Dan Mullen for Golden?!? Ineptitude of epic proportions. Football on life support with an admin who wanted it there. The last three hires have been epic fails and there's been very little to get excited about.

Seriously, let the boys dream a little. Yes they seem extremely entitled when you look at it from a totally unbiased point of view, but in a very weird way - it's refreshing. I'm enjoying this to a certain extent.....the names being bandied about here, there, and everywhere are a definite upgrade for this program. It feels good to have a smidge of pride about the program.

Can, however, show passion and not let the BOT off the hook on this hire. The only fans left are the ones who frankly are entitled to a thorough coaching search. If they ***** this one up, that's the final nail.

How exactly are the examples of Kelly, Patterson, Dantonio, Richt, or Mullen "sheer idiocy"? By your logic, Butch Davis would be "sheer idiocy" too. smh...

Advertisement

How exactly are the examples of Kelly, Patterson, Dantonio, Richt, or Mullen "sheer idiocy"? By your logic, Butch Davis would be "sheer idiocy" too. smh...

Thanks for jumping to conclusions.

You specifically site EXAMPLES of fan base saying things. I claim those things being said are idiotic. That's a pretty simple Point A to Point B connection and was agreeing with you actually.

We're all hungry for a new coach. We all want the same thing - our next ring. And we all believe that the next hire - if its the right hire - gives us that chance. But over the last few weeks, I'm blown away by the sense of entitlement from some of this fanbase - as if we are somehow entitled to the 2nd coming of Jimmy Johnson to walk through the Hecht and say he'll work for free so that we can hire Bill Walsh as OC and Belichick as DC on the cheap.

This is the fan base that believes we are somehow entitled to and better than Chip Kelly (too gimmicky, too finesse, too much ego), Gary Patterson (hasn't won ****), Mark Dantonio (Big 10 - don't want), Mark Richt (not hungry), Dan Mullen (bad fit), Tom Herman (not proven).

This is the fan base that would say, "Nick Saban? Don't want - lost to Mississippi this year."
This is the fan base that would say, "Urban Meyer? Don't want - did you see how they got owned by Michigan State?!?"
This is the fan base that would say, "Jim Harbaugh? Don't want - Got beat by his brother in the Super Bowl."
This is the fan base that would say, "Pete Carroll? Don't want - struggling in the NFC West this year."

And this is the fan base who is OFFENDED that we are "interviewing" Butch Davis because, after all, why should we bother "interviewing". The coach we want should be groveling at our feet and if they are, should accept any offer we provide without due diligence.

This is mostly the BBB crowd. For the record, I love Butch and if Butch ends up being our guy - I'm good with it. But I'm only good with it if we are willing to do the hard work and decide he's the best choice above all options who otherwise told us "no thanks". But for those of you in the BBB crowd who are kicking everyone else to the curb and insist we hire Butch without question, consider that:

* Butch hasn't won more ships than Kelly, Patterson, Dantonio, Richt, Mullen, or Herman.
* Butch's record the last 4 years he was a coach were WORSE than Kelly, Patterson, Dantonio, or Richt. If he had no ties to the U and had just been a coach at UNC, all of you would be screaming, "He's Not Worthy!" For the record:
* Kelly's 4 years at freaking OREGON (with no CFB tradition or recruiting base): 10-3, 12-1, 12-2, 12-1
* Dantonio at Michigan State (we're OSU and Michigan's biatches): 7-6, 13-1, 11-2, 11-1
* Dan Mullen in Mississippi Holy Crap We have Never Won Anything but are in a miserably difficult division State: 8-5, 7-6, 10-3, 8-4

If looking at the record, you're making excuses for Butch, why aren't you making excuses for the other guys? You're a blind-*** fan and/ or feel entitled.

And let's not forget that programs with great history (even if I hate them) have all endured **** before they got it right. Notre Dame has exactly 1 natty since 1978 and had to put up with Bob Davie, Tyrone Willingham, and Charlie Weiss before they found Brian Kelly - who you wouldn't been ok with for the U.

Before Saban showed up, Bama had exactly one NC since 1979 and had to put up with Mike DuBose, Dennis Franchione, and Mike Shula.

My point is NOT that we should settle. My point is that we should stop acting as if coaching candidates like Kelly, Patterson, Dantonio, Richt, Mullen, or Herman are somehow beneath us.

My point is that we shouldn't think that actually "interviewing" Butch - or any worthy candidate - are signals that the administration are incompetent.

And my point is, let's get this right - let's get the best coach possible. But let's not behave as fans as if there's only one coach in the world who can possibly be the right hire. And let's not behave as if we should start flying banners against coaches who are completely worthy of our consideration.

Solid post and accurate. Truth hurts, but even though I roll w BBB, to discredit a lot of these top coaches mentioned to elevate Butch is ridiculous.

BUT on the other hand, you also have some who hate Butch, for whatever reason, where they nick-pick on his short comings and make excuses for other coaches short comings to justify why we should hire them and not Butch.

The fact is, we are grasping at straws...but we're in a good position where our targets are still available. As long as we don't hire Mario, Charlie, Greg...I'm good.

Whoever gets selected will likely get torn to shreds by some segment here though I can't imagine Patterson being a problem for anyone with his demeanor and what he's done at TCU.

Thanks for jumping to conclusions.

You specifically site EXAMPLES of fan base saying things. I claim those things being said are idiotic. That's a pretty simple Point A to Point B connection and was agreeing with you actually.

Gotcha - completely misunderstood your POV.

Advertisement
Nick Saban could come and we still would have ppl complain. No matter who it is. Some will be happy and some will be mad. No pleasing everyone

Since CaneDynasty isn't here - I'll say it.

Go replicate with yourself.

Or, you could look at this from another perspective. This is the first time, in many MANY years that this fan base has anything to feel optimistic about. The last go around on this coaching carousel had our inept AD scraping the bottom of the barrel for the likes of Al ******* Golden (who almost no one had ever heard of) and Randy Edsall, etc. Only now, we find out that they passed over Dan Mullen for Golden?!? Ineptitude of epic proportions. Football on life support with an admin who wanted it there. The last three hires have been epic fails and there's been very little to get excited about.

Seriously, let the boys dream a little. Yes they seem extremely entitled when you look at it from a totally unbiased point of view, but in a very weird way - it's refreshing. I'm enjoying this to a certain extent.....the names being bandied about here, there, and everywhere are a definite upgrade for this program. It feels good to have a smidge of pride about the program.

I'm with you. we've got good choices to choose from and a great story to sell a coach whose #1 priority is to win a National Championship. Just annoyed that so many of the people on this board wouldn't even consider someone like Kelly or Patterson if they were available.

Advertisement

Since CaneDynasty isn't here - I'll say it.

Go replicate with yourself.

Sorry Archer - did I hurt your feelings? Didn't know you were so fragile.

I'm tired of hearing this:
"Butch hasn't won more ships than Kelly, Patterson, Dantonio, Richt, Mullen, or Herman"
If you are crediting Larry Coker for winning 2001 NC and playing for a repeat in 2002 (we should have won that one too) then why don't you, as well, add him to your list of desirable names? Hey, Coker almost won 2 NC!!!!
Be at least honest to the man and credit him for the work he has done. Butch Davis won even when he was not there. No other HC in history has built as good of a team as the 2001 and 2002 teams. The best college team assembled of all times.

Advertisement
I'm tired of hearing this:
"Butch hasn't won more ships than Kelly, Patterson, Dantonio, Richt, Mullen, or Herman"
If you are crediting Larry Coker for winning 2001 NC and playing for a repeat in 2002 (we should have won that one too) then why don't you, as well, add him to your list of desirable names? Hey, Coker almost won 2 NC!!!!
Be at least honest to the man and credit him for the work he has done. Butch Davis won even when he was not there. No other HC in history has built as good of a team as the 2001 and 2002 teams. The best college team assembled of all times.

I don't discount what Butch accomplished in 2001 or 2002. He is the greatest talent evaluator of the last 20 years. If Butch is our guy - like I said - I'm good with it. But I'm frustrated by the idea that this fan base finds the idea of considering other completely worthy coaches unacceptable.

Niglet. We are not getting D'antonia, or patterson, or Chip Kelly. Some of you clowns have been throwing bames in there that are pipe dreams. Mullen Strong, Herman Butch Cristobal, Schiano, Strong, Chud, and some others. Richt may not even want to coach anymore. But thats the list we are choosing from. I choose Butch. He seen it and done it, he knows it. And thats not taking anything from anyone else.

From a percentage of words typed standpoint, this may be the fastest I have ever given up on an op.

Advertisement
Back