The most alarming stat of all

Gables Canes

Freshman
If we can't find a way to sneak into the NIT, it would make 2 straight seasons of no postseason play. That is a horrendous turn of events for this program. Even Frank Haith never missed the postseason in consecutive seasons!

The last time this happened was nearly 20 years ago - the 02-03 and 03-04 seasons with Perry Clark.

How are we ok with the status quo knowing this program is at its lowest point in nearly 20 years? How can we still completely dismiss this and blame it 100% on the FBI crap? If this were the football program, there'd be a riot outside of Blake James' office.

Advertisement
We were in the running for multiple top players when the FBI **** hit the fan. We missed out on all of them after hitting on guys like Walker and Brown.

This is it like football, one or two of those players can change your entire program for 1-3 seasons.

How was Louisville able to overcome it?

They are a traditional national power who had a far deeper and more talented roster overall.

All their leading scorers are seniors and juniors. Their recruiting has suffered since. Let’s see how they look next year and the following.

Advertisement
Grad transfers and a strong recruiting. Chris Mack did not "try" for use all 13 of his scholarships, he did it. Let's stop with the FBI excuse. Miami has 2 scholarships left for next season and they need to be filled with two high school bigs.
Maybe Coach L should hire you to advise him on these things. If it made sense he would have filled all 13 eve though 2 "guys" just to have a 13 man roster probably would have made no difference

Advertisement
For the umpteenth time, we've had a roster with 10 or 11 scholarship players for years before the FBI story.
And how did we do? We lost out on at least 2-3 very good players due to the FBI garbage. No one was coming here. Was it coach L's fault tht Dewan was suspended for the season last year? My point is you don't 13 friggin players on the roster.

My intent for this thread was not to have it turn into another argument over roster management and not using scholarships.

I simply was trying to point out that we are about to hit our lowest point as a program in nearly 20 years, and yet there is no call for change.

My intent for this thread was not to have it turn into another argument over roster management and not using scholarships.

I simply was trying to point out that we are about to hit our lowest point as a program in nearly 20 years, and yet there is no call for change.

I'm calling for change. Does that count?

Advertisement
Just wondering, what do you think is the reason behind the possibility of Miami missing the post season for two consecutive years?

Opinions vary amongst the board.

Advertisement
The 15-16 season when we made it to the Sweet 16 we had 10 players on scholarship. Would have had 11 but Muhhamed got kicked off the team

1. You realize that we started this season with 10 active scholarships and we're 6-11 in the ACC? Brooks is 11 but he is sitting out. How about last year when we had 9 active players?

2. Our best season was 2012-13, we had 12 players on scholarship: Larkin, Scott, Daniels, TMJ, Akepejiori, Brown, Swoope, Jekiri, Adams, Kadji, Johnson and Gamble. How many players on this roster (2019-20) would start in 2012-13? How many players on this roster (2019-20) would start in 2015-16?

3. As stated numerous times before...On average, we go into the season having less than 10 players able to play. So before any potential injuries, players transferring out or being thrown out of school, we go into the season with less than 10 players being able to play. Please note that all of these players aren't typically ACC-Level Caliber, if that was the case, things would be very different.

Forget about using all 13 scholarships; the thing that I don't understand is why aren't we able to use more scholarships. Over the last 5 years, we've only used 12 total scholarships once. We essentially self-impose a scholarship reduction of 2 scholarships each season.

I also understand that an ACC team may only have ___________ (insert a random number here) players in a rotation. UVA may have X, Duke may have Y and NCST may have Z. Everyone is different and the quality of the talent/rotation differs greatly per school. The players NOT in the rotation may be (a) depth (not relied on for serious burn) or (b) players sitting out/redshirtting. These players may simply be getting better, working on their skills or developing for the future. So when you handicap yourself for numerous years, these players aren't ready for the future. In fact, they don't exist.

Isn't crazy how we had roster management issues years before the bullchit from the FBI?

Please enlighten us on how you can manage to keep a roster of stacked talent with multiple early departures, then your best player getting prison raped by the NCAA during a prolonged NCAA investigation into potential criminal payoffs.

Please enlighten us on how you can manage a roster of stacked talent with multiple early departures, then your best player getting prison raped by the NCAA during a prolonged NCAA investigation into potential criminal payoffs.

Below is an old post I made.

Below are the numbers for the last 5 seasons (in terms of scholarships being used). The first number represents the "active" scholarships being used (those eligible to play). The second number represents the total scholarships being used.

(Active/Total Ships Used)

2019-20: 10/11 (Brooks is sitting out)
2018-19: 9/11 (McGusty is sitting out and Miller redshirted)
2017-18: 10/12 (Wilson sat out and Gak redshirted)
2016-17: 9/11* (Gilmore sat out but was kicked out of school during the season)
2015-16: 10/11 (Muhammad sat out)

*Waardenburg sat out 2016-17 but arrived late. He is included in the numbers even though he sat and redshirted.

Average Active Scholarships/Season: 9.6
Average Total Scholarships/Season: 11.2

———

As for your last sentence:

1. The numbers are very consistent over the last 5 years. Do you actually disagree with the numbers above? If so, which ones?

2. As you can see, this problem has been going on way before the FBI. There is no bias just actual numbers.

3. Ignoring the actual facts and numbers above; now the FBI has impacted two full seasons of the roster/scholarships. Why not 3 seasons? Why not the seasons before the FBI was involved?

For the 2018-19 season, we brought in 3 transfers.
For the 2019-20 season, we brought in 3 recruits, 1 grad transfer and 1 transfer.

My questions are simple:

a. Why didn’t Coach take more kids before these seasons?
b. Why didn’t Coach take more transfers in either year? Is it because ONLY 5 total transfers would consider Miami and those were the 5?
c. Why didn’t Coach take more recruits last year? Is it because ONLY 3 would consider and those were the 3?
d. How come Coach doesn’t take more Florida kids (e.g. FPOY N. Alvarez)?

Advertisement
Back