The most alarming stat of all

My intent for this thread was not to have it turn into another argument over roster management and not using scholarships.

I simply was trying to point out that we are about to hit our lowest point as a program in nearly 20 years, and yet there is no call for change.

In addition to roster management issues, Coach can bring in some better assistant coaches.

Advertisement
Please enlighten us on how you can manage to keep a roster of stacked talent with multiple early departures, then your best player getting prison raped by the NCAA during a prolonged NCAA investigation into potential criminal payoffs.

We miss you on the baseball board.

Just wondering, what do you think is the reason behind the possibility of Miami missing the post season for two consecutive years?

Opinions vary amongst the board.
I think there are several reasons. Clearly, the FBI had an impact and continues to have an impact, but that is far from the only reason why we are struggling and on the verge of our lowest point since the Perry Clark era. I will provide you a few other reasons that I feel are contributing to our downfall, in no particular order:

1. Recruiting too many guards of the same mold without finding/developing a true point guard

L claims the reason our assist totals are so incredibly low is because we shoot better off the dribble than off of the pass. While that is true for guys like Lykes, DJ, and Kam, the main reason our assists are so pathetically low (10 a game!, which is 341 out of 353 teams) is because we have no true point guard.

The last few rosters, including this one, have been full of combo guards (and mostly undersized ones to boot). Lykes is NOT a point guard dispute his size. He likes to chuck it, he rarely looks to distribute. Wong appears to be the same way. I can't fully tell yet with Beverly, maybe he's our answer. But L's most successful teams have had true floor generals running the point - Shane Larkin, Angel Rodriguez, etc.

The bottom line is we have too many guys looking to create their own shot, which leads me to my second reason

2. Lack of offensive innovation

I am far from an offensive basketball guru, but anyone who knows the basics about the game can clearly see that our offense relies on a lot of individual play making. We don't have an over abundance of talent, not by any means, so why is this our offensive strategy? Way too many of our possessions go like this:
Pass the ball back and forth around the perimeter with no purpose. Then, with about 10-15 seconds left on the shot clock, someone decides to play hero ball and take an acrobatic step back shot or attack the basket with 2 or 3 guys defending him. This roster has some decently talented scorers, so this works at times (see the VT road win), but this is not a recipe for consistent success.

3. Losing touch with the brand of basketball that was most successful here

L's best teams at Miami and even George Mason were tough, physical, and defended very well. We have defended extremely poorly for the last 3 seasons, with this one being the worst defense by far according to Kenpom in program history (dating back to 2002 since the website started). There is no rim protector on the roster. Instead, L fell too much in love with the idea of stretch 4's after the success of Kenny Kadji. The problem is, guys like Sam and Keith Stone aren't ACC caliber athletes like Kadji was.

L used to consistently overachieve at Miami. Now? We are underachieving. This team was picked to finish 8th and we won't come anywhere near that in the final standings.

I don't think the talent on this team is THAT far away from some of our more successful teams (the frontcourt is clearly less talented, the backcourt is not far away). It wouldn't solve every issue, but I truly believe adding a true pass first point guard, overhauling our stagnant offensive identity, and recruiting/developing a physical defensive minded big will get us back to where we were several years ago.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Pass the ball back and forth around the perimeter with no purpose. Then, with about 10-15 seconds left on the shot clock, someone decides to play hero ball and take an acrobatic step back shot or attack the basket with 2 or 3 guys defending him. This roster has some decently talented scorers, so this works at times (see the VT road win), but this is not a recipe for consistent success.
[/B]
I think an accurate astute analysis... I would add 2 things; maybe passing to someone like Miller who looks surprised and often bobbles the ball, or Sam who doesn't want to (or can't) shoot the 3 any more - etc - is so often a failure Coach L needs to have "hero ball" -

- and if he effectively is forced to rely significantly on hero ball, and the shots (like recently) are NOT dropping, he needs to get some of the guys with the most agility and stamina to stay around the basket for a better shot at the offensive rebound (90% of the time there is NO one, and other teams have 2-3 very often). Agility and stamina of course so they can "get back" in case the opponents get the rebound instead.

I think there are several reasons. Clearly, the FBI had an impact and continues to have an impact, but that is far from the only reason why we are struggling and on the verge of our lowest point since the Perry Clark era. I will provide you a few other reasons that I feel are contributing to our downfall, in no particular order:

1. Recruiting too many guards of the same mold without finding/developing a true point guard

L claims the reason our assist totals are so incredibly low is because we shoot better off the dribble than off of the pass. While that is true for guys like Lykes, DJ, and Kam, the main reason our assists are so pathetically low (10 a game!, which is 341 out of 353 teams) is because we have no true point guard.

The last few rosters, including this one, have been full of combo guards (and mostly undersized ones to boot). Lykes is NOT a point guard dispute his size. He likes to chuck it, he rarely looks to distribute. Wong appears to be the same way. I can't fully tell yet with Beverly, maybe he's our answer. But L's most successful teams have had true floor generals running the point - Shane Larkin, Angel Rodriguez, etc.

The bottom line is we have too many guys looking to create their own shot, which leads me to my second reason

2. Lack of offensive innovation

I am far from an offensive basketball guru, but anyone who knows the basics about the game can clearly see that our offense relies on a lot of individual play making. We don't have an over abundance of talent, not by any means, so why is this our offensive strategy? Way too many of our possessions go like this:

3. Losing touch with the brand of basketball that was most successful here

L's best teams at Miami and even George Mason were tough, physical, and defended very well. We have defended extremely poorly for the last 3 seasons, with this one being the worst defense by far according to Kenpom in program history (dating back to 2002 since the website started). There is no rim protector on the roster. Instead, L fell too much in love with the idea of stretch 4's after the success of Kenny Kadji. The problem is, guys like Sam and Keith Stone aren't ACC caliber athletes like Kadji was.

L used to consistently overachieve at Miami. Now? We are underachieving. This team was picked to finish 8th and we won't come anywhere near that in the final standings.

I don't think the talent on this team is THAT far away from some of our more successful teams (the frontcourt is clearly less talented, the backcourt is not far away). It wouldn't solve every issue, but I truly believe adding a true pass first point guard, overhauling our stagnant offensive identity, and recruiting/developing a physical defensive minded big will get us back to where we were several years ago.

I actually agree with you on all three.

1. A true point guard would definitely help especially when you don't have a facilitator on the floor to lead the team.

2..The ball screen offense does create a lot of one on one situations and when you have guys with a scorers mentality on the floor, they don't look to pass that often.
I have thought more offensive sets or even a slight version of the Princeton offense would help increase ball movement, flow and movement without the ball on offense.
3. Team identity is a problem. 2013 was the most successful year under Coach L but I think Frank Haith built half the roster. I have always wondered why Miami over recruited guards and under recruited bigs. In 2013, Miami always had two bigs on the floor with big wings who could shoot and defend with a true point guard. That should be the model for every team going forward.
4. Roster management is important.
Coach L always says he loves to coach older teams. 2013 and 2016 were older teams. In order to win every year and get older, you must use all 13 scholarships. You don't have to play all 13 guys every game. 11 guys should be available to play while the last two spots are used for red shirt players or transfers.
Anything else is rebuilding your roster every year which causes inconsistent team performance. Meaning 2 Sweet Sixteens in 10 years.

I'm less pessimistic than most of the posters on this thread. Next year barring multiple injuries and transfers we should be very good, experienced and deep. If we are not a NCAA team next year I will be extremely surprised.

I'm less pessimistic than most of the posters on this thread. Next year barring multiple injuries and transfers we should be very good, experienced and deep. If we are not a NCAA team next year I will be extremely surprised.

Like you would be extremely surprised if we get swept by UF in baseball, or even more surprised than that?

Advertisement
It is amazing how you fail to acknowledge the roster issues before the FBI.

Huh?

Are you really so ignorant as to not know that miami lost 3 basketball scholarships from NCAA sanctions from the Shapiro scandal?? With the scholarship reductions going through 2016?

This board is such a bunch of reactionary little crybabies.

Are you really so ignorant as to not know that miami lost 3 basketball scholarships from NCAA sanctions from the Shapiro scandal?? With the scholarship reductions going through 2016?

Another porst. Thanks for taking us to tangentville.

1. No one denies that. We lost ONE scholarship for three seasons.

2. This Nevin/NCAA has NOTHING to do with the FBI bullchit.

3. In 2015-16, we used 11 total scholarships. Of the 11, 10 were active scholarships (players eligible). Even down ONE scholarship, we still didn't use the maximum we could (12). In fact, these numbers are pretty similar to the 5 year average.

2019-20: 10/11 (Brooks is sitting out)
2018-19: 9/11 (McGusty is sitting out and Miller redshirted)
2017-18: 10/12 (Wilson sat out and Gak redshirted)
2016-17: 9/11* (Gilmore sat out but was kicked out of school during the season)
2015-16: 10/11 (Muhammad sat out)

*Waardenburg sat out 2016-17 but arrived late. He is included in the numbers even though he sat and redshirted.

Average Active Scholarships/Season: 9.6
Average Total Scholarships/Season: 11.2

And you're a tremendous potato who whines about how people post. Click ignore.

All great points being made in here. Has been very obvious to the common eye since Lonnie and Bruce were playing here. IMO regardless of talent and returning players next year, this team is built for a massive let down. All points mentioned above considered is exactly why this team will lose games it shouldn't somewhat consistently. Especially with no lights out shooters on the roster at the moment.

Advertisement
Sometimes the ball just doesn't bounce your way. Look at UNC! An injury or 2 mixed with a few players going pro and they are in last place. This UM team has almost no ACC calibur starters. Their record is a direct result of that. Getting more talent is the key not more bodies. I've heard the roster management argument all season and offseason but having 2 more Anthony Macks doesn't move the needle on our record. If you're saying get more talented kids, well isn't that what every team in college is trying to do? Would Coach L see a talented kid who wants in and deny him just so he can stay at 10 kids? No.

We'll be better next year and possibly better the year after. But it will based on stacking talented kids on top of more talented kids.

Coach L still has some zip on his fast ball.

Maybe L thinks the NCAA imposed scholarship reduction due to the Shapiro scandal was permanent.

Advertisement
1. You realize that we started this season with 10 active scholarships and we're 6-11 in the ACC? Brooks is 11 but he is sitting out. How about last year when we had 9 active players?

2. Our best season was 2012-13, we had 12 players on scholarship: Larkin, Scott, Daniels, TMJ, Akepejiori, Brown, Swoope, Jekiri, Adams, Kadji, Johnson and Gamble. How many players on this roster (2019-20) would start in 2012-13? How many players on this roster (2019-20) would start in 2015-16?

3. As stated numerous times before...On average, we go into the season having less than 10 players able to play. So before any potential injuries, players transferring out or being thrown out of school, we go into the season with less than 10 players being able to play. Please note that all of these players aren't typically ACC-Level Caliber, if that was the case, things would be very different.

Forget about using all 13 scholarships; the thing that I don't understand is why aren't we able to use more scholarships. Over the last 5 years, we've only used 12 total scholarships once. We essentially self-impose a scholarship reduction of 2 scholarships each season.

I also understand that an ACC team may only have ___________ (insert a random number here) players in a rotation. UVA may have X, Duke may have Y and NCST may have Z. Everyone is different and the quality of the talent/rotation differs greatly per school. The players NOT in the rotation may be (a) depth (not relied on for serious burn) or (b) players sitting out/redshirtting. These players may simply be getting better, working on their skills or developing for the future. So when you handicap yourself for numerous years, these players aren't ready for the future. In fact, they don't exist.

Get back to flipping burgers while you tell everyone how you would be a better head coach making 7 figures.

program is in a freefall. ****, his "deep" and/or "talented" teams were postseason clown shows.

Do you see him rebuilding the team?

Another chit porst. You may want to invest in some Summer's Eve.

Posting on your break from the grill?

It’s phenomenal how someone who has accomplished so little in life could feel such entitlement to believe he knows more than someone who has accomplished so much.

And then, to top it off, offers such a dumb take.

How’s your Rodney prediction working out, btw?

Advertisement
Back