The More You Know...About Virginia

View as article

Dan E. Dangerously

This board...it's my note
Maude
128.jpg

The Canes are 5-4 and sitting by themselves atop the ACC Coastal with just 2 conference games remaining. This week Miami travels to Charlottesville to face the Virginia Cavaliers.

1. Where they are in the standings/rankings:

ConferenceOverall
CoastalWLWL
Miami (FL)
141.jpg
North Carolina
141.jpg
Duke
141.jpg
Georgia Tech
141.jpg
Virginia Tech
141.jpg
Virginia
141.jpg

Cellar dwellers. Remember when we were picked to finish last in the division with like 4 wins or something? Virginia is coming of their first conference win of the season by beating NC State 33-6. Here's what NC State fans are saying about Virginia:

Akula Wolf said:
And now more questions. Performances like these--especially given the timing--can really begin to turn the tide of public opinion. Frustration was already present. I could feel it simmering in the building, even though the TV. Before I was conflicted in my feelings about the whole TOB era, as I outlined here, and now I guess I'm a little more confused than I had been. Ultimately the results the rest of the way will set the course for the program going into 2013, and if the Pack spends the rest of 2012 just going through the motions, that might be impetus enough to make a change, even if the team gets bowl eligible. If I had to guess, I'd say O'Brien's job is safe unless the Pack finishes out the year with a string of meltdowns like that UVA performance. That would create generous circumstances for "going in a new direction."

Basically, this loss was so demoralizing it has them talking about Tom O'Brien's job security again...so we should beat these guys. When a loss to UVA is too much for NC State fans to bear, we better ******* win.

2. What happened the last time Miami played Virginia?

22.gif

From the Associated Press:

A fake field goal. A halfback option for a touchdown. A 53-yard catch-and-run on a screen for a score, and a 78-yard reception by a running back who slipped out wide for another.Virginia got big plays in bunches Thursday night -- and needed every one of them to beat Miami.
Michael Rocco passed for 226 yards and two scores, running back Perry Jones threw one touchdown pass and caught another, and the Cavaliers held off Miami 28-21 to snap a seven-game Atlantic Coast Conference road losing streak.

That bolded part is what The Playmaker and the rest of the people in former AD Shawn Eichorst's suite were reacting to. Early in the 4th quarter, RB Perry Jones split out wide on 3rd & 2 and got matched up 1 on 1 with Jimmy Gaines. Jones ran a slant, running right by Gaines and scoring an easy 78 yard touchdown.

So many things going on in this gif. Just look at the unbelievable reactions to that play. Look on the left side where the old man in green mouths, "Oh...my...God". That's probably my favorite. My second favorite is the chick drinking a soda in the bottom right corner. Her eyes pop out of her head like a Wile E. Coyote cartoon.

3. Who to be scared of:

22.jpg

Phillip Sims & Michael Rocco

Sims and Rocco are the 2 Headed Monster at QB for Virginia. Each has thrown over 1,000 yards for a total of 2,400 yards passing. Neither one of them are threats to run the ball. Rocco only has 72 yards on 20 attempts, and Sims only has 10 yards on 29 attempts.

Rocco was the starter last year and he was efficient enough to beat us, going 11/20 for 226 yards and a couple of TD's. This year he's completing passes at a rate of 58.2%. He's got 8 TD's and 8 picks, 3 of those picks came in the Maryland game alone.

Sims is a Virginia native who transferred from Alabama because he couldn't beat out A.J. McCarron for the job. Sims isn't much better of a passer, completing 55.8% of his passes. Like Rocco, he's thrown 8 TD's this year as well, but only 4 picks.

4. Player that will score against us:

23.jpg

Kevin Parks

Parks leads UVA in rushing with 618 yards on 128 carries (4.8). His 4 rushing touchdowns also leads the team in that category. He had 85 yards on 16 carries against us last year. When your defense has given up over 200 yards rushing for 8 games in a row, it's a no-brainer to predict the opposing teams running back will score.

5. Person that will **** you off:

24.jpg

Perry Jones

This guy killed us last year almost by himself. He threw a 37 yard touchdown pass on a Halfback option pass after Olivier Vernon extended their drive on a dumb personal foul penalty. He also caught the already mentioned 78 yard touchdown pass which ended up being the difference in the game. He'll probably pull some more plays out of his *** on 3rd down that make you throw the remote control at your dog. I'll guess he catches at least 2 screen passes the go for big gains to extend drives that result in points.

6. Official Internet meme for this game:

Based God

25.jpg

Just ******* win.

[video=youtube;bejVHszCIDo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bejVHszCIDo[/video]

Last edited:
Advertisement
"after Olivier Vernon extended their drive on a dumb personal foul penalty"

This was a bad call, if you look at it again, he is pushed into the QB.

for the life of me I can not remember any of that game last year. maybe my mind wont allow me too.

Advertisement
i had no idea Peyton Manning was in the building. he looks good in that UM polo

I remember when London cried after beating us a couple years back.

**** was ridiculous.

Advertisement
The only thing I remember about the game last year is Chase Ford being a ****** blocker at the goal line, basically costing us the game.

26.jpg

What an ugly day that was.

Hey there is no Special Occasion surrounding this game? Meaning no one is getting celebrated or honored? I ask because when ever Miami is honoring, recognizing, or closing down a stadium, these fuggers from UVA seem to be scheduled. Each time UVA has punked Miami at every special event.

Closing down the OB - Clowned
Championship team anniversary - Clowned
Possibly wrapping up the ACC Coastal - To be determined.

this game worries the **** outa me really. UVA will probably play their best game of the season vs us and they are physical up front. will probably stuff our run game if we are not bringing it 100%

26.jpg

What an ugly day that was.

Hey there is no Special Occasion surrounding this game? Meaning no one is getting celebrated or honored? I ask because when ever Miami is honoring, recognizing, or closing down a stadium, these fuggers from UVA seem to be scheduled. Each time UVA has punked Miami at every special event.

Closing down the OB - Clowned
Championship team anniversary - Clowned
Possibly wrapping up the ACC Coastal - To be determined.

Miami tried to schedule something this year, but Virginia voted it down. Something about them having control over their home games or something.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I think Irvin realizes we are in trouble on that play as soon as the RB goes in motion and he sees the matchup. While everyone is whincing he already recognized that it was going to happen.

no mention of their te's..?

They have 3 of them thats legit.....

Also they likely have the biggest oline or one of the biggest olines in the acc....our dline needs to step it up this week......

Have a speed rusher in #3 who i expect them to line up on Bunche...i would like for us to run right at him....

i would like for us to establish the run first this game....i dont expect though..as im sure Fisch is exploring his air coryell/greatest show on turf right now as i type this....

force these guys to bring guys up and blitz( they actually like to ) then we should hit em with deep passes with one on one situations. Dont think they can cover our wr's.

Advertisement
Back