The Money Myth

At this point I would be less surprised if Donna announced an initiative to channel parts of that $21MM to welfare for sofla residents than towards buying out our fat fvkk corch

I wish they would show how this was spent or allocated.

UM can't control the ACC press releases but they can control some of their releases.

Advertisement
Shalala raised roughly 3 billion dollars in the last 10 years or so.

Nearly all of it was earmarked by the donor for academic/research purposes. Not sure why people can't understand this.

Bullsh!t

Look at the ******* homepage for momentum 2.

50 mil to name healthcare facility
100 mil for a diabetes research facility
10 mil for an eye research center
14.5 mil for new med research equipment

On and on and on. That **** is earmarked by the donors, not the university.

Unfortunately you guys are too clueless to recognize how fundraising works. You don't just give millions of dollars for the U to do with as they wish...you give for a specific purpose, and your money can only be used for that purpose.

Last edited:
The school is doing very well this year.

I'd also love to ask some questions on the allocations of expenses and where we are accounting for the 20m from the ACC. I really doubt the athletic program is losing money.

Advertisement
One of the biggest con jobs is the $9,500,000 in "student aid" as an expense. They are adding up the cost of the students on scholarship, even though it isn't a real number. It isn't a cost, it is just what the university would collect if those 85 students paid full tuition price (which most students don't pay anyway). The reality is that the profits are higher than the numbers even show.

One of the biggest con jobs is the $9,500,000 in "student aid" as an expense. They are adding up the cost of the students on scholarship, even though it isn't a real number. It isn't a cost, it is just what the university would collect if those 85 students paid full tuition price (which most students don't pay anyway). The reality is that the profits are higher than the numbers even show.

The allocated expenses are also way too high....

Nearly all of it was earmarked by the donor for academic/research purposes. Not sure why people can't understand this.

Bullsh!t

Look at the ****ing homepage for momentum 2.

Unfortunately you guys are too clueless to recognize how fundraising works. You don't just give millions of dollars for the U to do with as they wish...you give for a specific purpose, and your money can only be used for that purpose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbaBkDlo1e4

Bullsh!t

LMAO...OK, chief...you obviously don't know **** about this topic, but please, keep pretending you do.

Advertisement
They understand the next coach will be north of $3.5M. Keeping Golden had very little to do with money and more to do with timing. Like it or not Golden is getting another year largely because of the timing with Shalala and the probation. Although I am 100% against this, it shocks me more that so far the entire staff has been retained. This has to be by design to some degree. He knows that staff changes don't often change things, and the admin wants him to sink or swim on his own. Worst case for us, is te new President is not pro Athletics and sees no reason to fire the football coach after just getting here. Best sign for us is that Blake James is let go late next summer or next fall or he's given control. People give him a bad wrap IMO. If he had control I doubt Golden would be here.

They understand the next coach will be north of $3.5M. Keeping Golden had very little to do with money and more to do with timing. Like it or not Golden is getting another year largely because of the timing with Shalala and the probation. Although I am 100% against this, it shocks me more that so far the entire staff has been retained. This has to be by design to some degree. He knows that staff changes don't often change things, and the admin wants him to sink or swim on his own. Worst case for us, is te new President is not pro Athletics and sees no reason to fire the football coach after just getting here. Best sign for us is that Blake James is let go late next summer or next fall or he's given control. People give him a bad wrap IMO. If he had control I doubt Golden would be here.

North of $3.5M? I would sure as **** hope so, because in the very near future there are a lot of other programs in the ACC alone that are poised to be bringing in new coaches, and they're all probably looking at north of $4.5M, minimum. $3.5M might sound nice for right now, but it'll be pennies on the dollar by the end of the decade. If we ever hope to compete, the checkbook needs to open, especially for a school without a home stadium that has to travel almost 20 miles to get to each home game.

Bullsh!t

LMAO...OK, chief...you obviously don't know **** about this topic, but please, keep pretending you do.

Not all of it gets earmarked you *******.. so pipe down.

3 billion dollars

THREE BILLION DOLLARS

Not all of it gets earmarked you *******.. so pipe down.

3 billion dollars

THREE BILLION DOLLARS

Which is why I said "nearly all of it" in my original post, you illiterate ****.

First off, some of that 3 billions was, in fact, earmarked specifically for athletics. That's why there was a press release a few weeks ago about the athletic dept reaching 100 mil in donations (over 6 years) through the momentum campaign.

Second, the vast majority (meaning more than 90%) is in fact earmarked for other purposes. There are some smaller gifts that are made to the general university coffers, but most million+ gifts have a specific purpose, and the U can't shift that over to the athletic dept just because they want to.

But again, please keep showing your own ignorance.

Advertisement

But then you can spend your OTHER money (like your ACC money) on OTHER things, because all those huge donations freed you from having to spend it on your medical facilities. There's a fancy word for this: fungibility.

Bullsh!t

Waits for answer to the other thread...

What is any of this based on? How do you know? Do you have a source? Please enlighten us.

Advertisement

Waits for answer to the other thread...

Feel free to copy and paste my responses from this thread to that one.

Feel free to copy and paste my responses from this thread to that one.

All your bullchit, no thanks. We wait for sources in this thread (below).

https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/84204-Michigan-s-BOT-vs-Ours/page4

AND WE WAIT!

Not sure what you want. Moreover, I'm not sure what you think you've proven.

Far as I can tell, you keep relying on **** like the endowment and the momentum campaigns as some sort of be-all-end-all that shows UM "has the money" and is just too cheap to spend it. And again, you simply ignore the fact that A) most of those funds are earmarked B) only 100 mil was raised over a full 6 years for athletics, which is a pitiful amount, and C) the university already subsidizes the athletic department.

We can keep going round and round if you want, but you're really not showing anything more than your ability to maintain a faulty argument.

Advertisement
Back