The Mario transition

This has been said before but it bears repeating. The coordinator hires are of immense importance. This cannot be overemphasized. In addition to being of immense importance both coordinators must be X's and O's types.

I'm as excited as anyone about the Mario hire even moreso. I'm so pumped as to the types of things we will be able to accomplish. We can already see things changing with the Skinner flip from Alabama plus the Lichtenstein addition. Jaden Harris plus Moss, Stewart and Coleman all thinking about Miami when we had no chance with Manny Diaz. This is only the beginning. There are so many things that will be addressed from an organizational standpoint as well as an infrastructure standpoint. We finally have real leaders in charge who know college football plus the financial commitment needed to join the elite.

Right now however I am focused on the coordinator hires as they are that important. Right now I can't think of anything else related to Hurricane Football. Knock these two coordinator hires out of the park and man will we have something!!!! I'm literally on the edge of my seat in suspense and the suspense is killing me!!!!! Let's go!!! Let's get this!!!

Advertisement
I’m checking every few hours for news of an OC and DC hire but no news. I have concern no news and I’m hoping No news means Good news. Each day I get a bit more concerned as many good ones are off the table.

With Mario's previous accomplishments, personal gravitas, community connections and contract, I think he has unlimited time.

And, we all better hope he succeeds because if he doesn't, the next coaching search will not be for someone "better" than him. That scenario would more likely be UM "rethinking" its commitment to football and settling for being Duke in football, or the like.

BF756443-F7A7-4383-BA85-DE6DAF876C16.jpeg

Advertisement
I'd like to see the staff and who we pull in thru the portal but my general expectations are to win the coRstal every year. With Venables gone and the turmoil at clemson the ACC is up for grabs. Wouldn't have mattered with manny diaz at the helm but with Mario I'm not gonna just hope to get there, I'm gonna expect to win it more often than not.

I’m a Mario fan and super glad we landed him, and bringing in a sports minded AD just made me even more happy.

With the fan base we have with usually needing instant gratification, how long does Mario have? Myself, I think he needs 2-3 years, but how long does CIS give him? Two years to win the costal, three years to win the ACC and 5-6 years to have us in national contention is my answer.

So say you?
Have to what exactly? We have this discussion with every new coach lol. The difference with this regimen is the fact the U is putting in elite level cash rn..if that continues there’s no reason why it shouldn’t be 2-4 years and we are In national contention convo. Mario is a national recruiter. And that’s not said quite enough Imo..so again if the U is serious about the money invested there no reason this can’t be a relatively quick turnaround

I want to agree with all of this but our defense looks so bad on paper even with Portal guys and recruits.

It also takes time for players to learn new systems and ways of doing things with a new regime and culture.
Mario also has not been known as the best x's and o's manager late in games.

BUT this is still the ACC so I can see us finding a way to get to Charlotte. We just need the Defense to overachieve and special teams to finally play well in big games.
As far as Mario not X's and O's, neither was Diaz as head coach. As long as we have good coordinators, we should be fine.

I don't see the defense getting any worse than what it was. I think the offense puts up 40 a game. Different plays and vernacular, but the spread concepts should be the same. Look at what LSU did in one year with Joe Brady.

Advertisement
As far as Mario not X's and O's, neither was Diaz as head coach. As long as we have good coordinators, we should be fine.

I don't see the defense getting any worse than what it was. I think the offense puts up 40 a game. Different plays and vernacular, but the spread concepts should be the same. Look at what LSU did in one year with Joe Brady.
Hopefully the coordinators do come and and things go smooth but year one may need some time to work out some kinks.

We still do not have depth on D and glaring weaknesses.
I am hoping for the best but being cautiously optimistic year one.
It would be nice if we made a run at an ACC Championship but too many variables and unknowns right now for me to fully commit.

Last edited:
It's reasonable to think Miami will win the Coastal AND the ACC in '22. We'll have the best QB in the conference with fresh strength coming in through the portal and the blue chip recruits.

Clemson is not the old Clemson. Not nearly as much of a threat.
Reasonable to think it may happen, but not reasonable to expect or demand it yet. Any major change can require at least a little time to establish

Hopefully the coordinators do come and and things go smooth but year one may need some time to work out some kinks.

We still do not have depth on D and glaring weaknesses.
I am hoping for the best but being cautiously optimistic year one.
It would be nice if we made a run at an ACC Championship but too many variables and unknowns right now for me to fully commit.
With the defense, I would agree, but the offense should thrive.

On offense, you have TVD. So, a smart OC is going maximize the skills of TVD by installing the plays that fit him best. You don't just try to install your entire playbook. Put another way, if an OC were a Math professor of Calculus I, you provide the material up to the mid-term, not the material for the final or the materials for next year's Calculus II course.

With the defense, I would agree, but the offense should thrive.

On offense, you have TVD. So, a smart OC is going maximize the skills of TVD by installing the plays that fit him best. You don't just try to install your entire playbook. Put another way, if an OC were a Math professor of Calculus I, you provide the material up to the mid-term, not the material for the final or the materials for next year's Calculus II course.
Yes, Depends on the OC and how far Mario wants to deviate from his way of doing things. Yes, he is saying all the right things and the rumored guys sound promising.
We still have a lot of young WRs though learning new things. Spring will be crucial.
RBs need to stay healthy and out of trouble.
OL may have different things to work on with possibly new blocking schemes and techniques since it is always a weakness. And we may have a few new guys in key spots. Good thing we do not start off with a difficult game.
TEs should be ready to go.

I hope you are right but even on offense I can see a few issues.

Advertisement
Depends how well he recruits. The way he’s recruiting right now, I don’t care if he wins 7 games next year.

I’m playing the long game. We want to be a playoff team, and that’s gonna take a few years of recruiting at Alabama/Georgia levels to get there. Which he is doing right now, in a transition class, no less. It’s frankly amazing

I say 5 years, I’m giving him.

Yes, Depends on the OC and how far Mario wants to deviate from his way of doing things. Yes, he is saying all the right things and the rumored guys sound promising.
We still have a lot of young WRs though learning new things. Spring will be crucial.
RBs need to stay healthy and out of trouble.
OL may have different things to work on with possibly new blocking schemes and techniques since it is always a weakness. And we may have a few new guys in key spots. Good thing we do not start off with a difficult game.
TEs should be ready to go.

I hope you are right but even on offense I can see a few issues.
I just see us scoring 40+. Too many weapons. It's up to the coaches to get the most out them with the playbook.

If we score 40, there's few teams on the schedule that could compete even with a mediocre defense.

Advertisement
I've been saying it as long as we've been in the coastal.

Winning the Coastal should be the minimum yearly expectation. We have waaaay more access to better talent, more history, and just as good of resources as any other team in the coastal. Only coaching has held us back.

Every once in awhile when there's a very good VT or Pitt or UNC team, it may be acceptable to lose the coastal to one of them because we barely lost a head to head and went 7-1/10-2 overall and they also went 7-1 or something like that and hold the tiebreaker. But that should be the exception, not the norm.

This is after so many years of mediocrity..still far and away the best roster in the Coastal

With TVD, I think Coastal + ACCCG appearance is doable year 1.

I think he deserves (and will get) a longer leash than Manny, but it won't take long for CIS to bring out the pitchforks.

Our biggest weakness on offense(OL) is also hardest unit on offense to build. Unless we get very lucky in portal that will take at least 2 years

Advertisement
Back