The Mario transition

PCBcanefan

99 problems but FSU ain’t 1
I’m a Mario fan and super glad we landed him, and bringing in a sports minded AD just made me even more happy.

With the fan base we have with usually needing instant gratification, how long does Mario have? Myself, I think he needs 2-3 years, but how long does CIS give him? Two years to win the costal, three years to win the ACC and 5-6 years to have us in national contention is my answer.

So say you?

Advertisement
__24b2d9d317eeaa048eed42926dabdc53_width-600.jpeg

Advertisement
I’m a Mario fan and super glad we landed him, and bringing in a sports minded AD just made me even more happy.

With the fan base we have with usually needing instant gratification, how long does Mario have? Myself, I think he needs 2-3 years, but how long does CIS give him? Two years to win the costal, three years to win the ACC and 5-6 years to have us in national contention is my answer.

So say you?
You know how this goes…if next year doesn’t look noticeably better, there will be rumblings. There will be posts about how I always new he wouldn’t work out. Everybody will be trying to get in first on the get-rid-of-Mario train.

I’d say there’s grumbling after year 1 and trouble for sure if he doesn’t win the coastal by year 2.

Advertisement
my expectations are that we’ll win the coastal next year. They are the same expectations I had with manny the past two years. If he doesn’t meet that, I’ll be disappointed. But, I definitely won’t be calling for his head. At this point, for me, it’s coastal minimum. At least one ACC title by 2024 (3 years). Whether that leads to the playoff, idk. But, those are my expectations.

If we aren’t in the playoff by 2026 (5 years), I’ll be disappointed. At least two ACC titles by then. I think is all reasonable, considering his new resources

Until he retires.

He’s Miami’s Harbaugh, he ain’t going nowhere.
Then he’s got work to do. You know **** well CIS would have run Harbaugh out of town like year 3 for not beating OSU. There’s no way Miami fans give him that long to win a NC let alone a conference championship.

The Miami greats of the past all left while they were popular, which was smart. They never had to see what Miami fans get like when you hurt their feelings.

How long does he have and what's the expectation is a different question.

Like we have been nearly every year. We will be the most talented team in the coastal division and we will also have the best QB. So no idea why anyone wouldn't think the team is capable of getting to the ACC title game.

Until he retires.

This has been said before but it bears repeating. The coordinator hires are of immense importance. This cannot be overemphasized. In addition to being of immense importance both coordinators must be X's and O's types.

I'm as excited as anyone about the Mario hire even moreso. I'm so pumped as to the types of things we will be able to accomplish. We can already see things changing with the Skinner flip from Alabama plus the Lichtenstein addition. Jaden Harris plus Moss, Stewart and Coleman all thinking about Miami when we had no chance with Manny Diaz. This is only the beginning. There are so many things that will be addressed from an organizational standpoint as well as an infrastructure standpoint. We finally have real leaders in charge who know college football plus the financial commitment needed to join the elite.

Right now however I am focused on the coordinator hires as they are that important. Right now I can't think of anything else related to Hurricane Football. Knock these two coordinator hires out of the park and man will we have something!!!! I'm literally on the edge of my seat in suspense and the suspense is killing me!!!!! Let's go!!! Let's get this!!!

Advertisement
It's reasonable to think Miami will win the Coastal AND the ACC in '22. We'll have the best QB in the conference with fresh strength coming in through the portal and the blue chip recruits.

Clemson is not the old Clemson. Not nearly as much of a threat.

So say you?
The bottom line is we should win the Coastal with or without Mario.

We should have the best offense in our division if not the entire league.

The division will be even weaker than it was in 2021 where we could/should have gone 6-0 within the division and 8-0 overall.

There are several QBs we won't see and those programs will not be as competitive than they were in 2021. They are:

Pitt - Kenny Pickett gone.
UVA - Brennan Armstrong gone.
UNC - Sam Howell likely gone.

With our competition rebuilding/portal hunting for QBs, the gap between us should be even wider.

I think there are two different things here. There's what is expected and then there's what would be accepted.

Mario will get a pass from the fanbase if the team goes 6-2 or 5-3 in the conference. However, I'm expecting more.

For 2022, I'm expecting a 7-1 ACC record with a chance to go 8-0. I would have expected that even under Manny because our offense is that **** good and Clemson isn't a juggernaut.

The fanbase is going to have high expectations. As I said, Mario will get a pass year one, but a division title would be expected in year two. He wouldn't see a hot seat until year 3 unless the team regressed which I just don't see happening.

Advertisement
Until he retires.

Such a great analogy.

Miami is going all in on Cristobal, and will give him time to build it up.

We are putting are eggs in his basket.

He may have a ceiling, but with his ability to acquire talent, the sky may be it!!

Mario has a body of work to earn some patience, at least that’s how I feel. CIS will probably be calling him out in year 3 if he doesn't meet expectations.

The bottom line is we should win the Coastal with or without Mario.

We should have the best offense in our division if not the entire league.

The division will be even weaker than it was in 2021 where we could/should have gone 6-0 within the division and 8-0 overall.

There are several QBs we won't see and those programs will not be as competitive than they were in 2021. They are:

Pitt - Kenny Pickett gone.
UVA - Brennan Armstrong gone.
UNC - Sam Howell likely gone.

With our competition rebuilding/portal hunting for QBs, the gap between us should be even wider.

I think there are two different things here. There's what is expected and then there's what would be accepted.

Mario will get a pass from the fanbase if the team goes 6-2 or 5-3 in the conference. However, I'm expecting more.

For 2022, I'm expecting a 7-1 ACC record with a chance to go 8-0. I would have expected that even under Manny because our offense is that **** good and Clemson isn't a juggernaut.

The fanbase is going to have high expectations. As I said, Mario will get a pass year one, but a division title would be expected in year two. He wouldn't see a hot seat until year 3 unless the team regressed which I just don't see happening.
I want to agree with all of this but our defense looks so bad on paper even with Portal guys and recruits.

It also takes time for players to learn new systems and ways of doing things with a new regime and culture.
Mario also has not been known as the best x's and o's manager late in games.

BUT this is still the ACC so I can see us finding a way to get to Charlotte. We just need the Defense to overachieve and special teams to finally play well in big games.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back