Spring The Mario Era begins: Spring PractiSe #1

Advertisement

Gaby noted that Ladson is the most physically imposing receiver right now

His main comp is Brinson and with him out for the Spring..Ladson can really take control of that spot and make it an uphill battle for Brinson come Fall. But thats great IMO. I remember someone on CIS saying Brinson wasnt being pushed enough last year and he got complacent. Well, thats pretty much over now now that Ladson is here.

Gaby Urrutia - P1 Notes
Posted on 12 mins

The energy was high from the time we were waiting outside waiting to get in. That's not to be unexpected given the people around the program, but Aaron Feld was leading the stretching, which they call "Flex."

- Tyler Van Dyke, Jake Garcia, and Jacurri Brown was the order of operations for the quarterbacks on day one. There was some natural rust with some of the throws from all of the guys, but when they got rolling Van Dyke and Garcia were throwing darts out there. Josh Gattis wanted 100 percent completions on the routes on air and some balls were misfired but they seemed to all settle down.

Brown adds a unique element to the room. He stands out physically and showed some flashes through the air. He did have some balls that fell short and wabbled around a bit, but this is a long-term investment by Miami and there were some early signs that he can spin it.

- Thad Franklin seems to have reshaped his body some which is a great sign for Miami. He looked to be taking the early reps with Jaylan Knighton and Don Chaney sidelined for the spring.

- The wide receivers seem to have a ways to go. Josh Gattis was working with them directly in front of the media and you can tell that there was some frustration. He called out some guys for having bad habits. Xavier Restrepo seems to be the most polished of the group while Frank Ladson looks the most physically impressive. A close second there might be Michael Redding III who had no restrictions after suffering through injuries last fall.

Jacolby George seems like he could be a guy who carves out a role for himself. It feels like Gattis is trying to polish up Brashard Smith some. The speedster certainly has tools that Gattis has had success with in the past.

- Will Mallory and Elijah Arroyo were clearly the top two tight ends. Both guys were working through blocking drills with Mario Cristobal, Cody Woodiel, and some offensive tackles. I didn't notice Jaleel Skinner going through the same drills. I did see him catching passes while the other tight ends were blocking. I could have missed Skinner getting that blocking work.
- It was good to see Jalen Rivers and John Campbell dressed and actively participating in drills on Monday, though it should be noted that the two are listed as "limited" by Miami. Logan Sagapolu is probably a bit smaller from a height perspective than I thought he was. As expected, Cristobal was very hands-on with the group, especially the tackles who he had off to the side. He was working directly with Zion Nelson and John Campbell amongst some others.

- Jason Taylor was at Miami on Monday and was working with the defensive linemen out there. I didn't get a great look at the unit but did see Taylor around the group.

- It was good to see Wesley Bissainthe running around in orange and green. He still needs to add more to his frame but didn't look out of place. Corey Flagg got reps at middle linebacker as expected. Gilbert Frierson also broke up a Tyler Van Dyke pass intended for Xavier Restrepo near the sideline.

- There was some concern about Avantae Williams not being on the printed roster, but he was out there and wearing his regular 15. Marcus Clarke got the first reps at cornerback when they moved to some offense-defense stuff. Al Blades was the other starter opposite of Clarke with James Williams and Jalen Harrell also on the field. Tyrique Stevenson is out for the spring, which is worth mentioning.

Full list of "Out for Spring"

Romello Brinson
Sam Brooks
Don Chaney
Lou Hedley
Jabari Ishmael
Tyler Johnson
Kam Kinchens
Jalen Knighton
Nyjalik Kelly
Anthony Moultrie
Khamauri Rogers
Chase Smith
Tyrique Stevenson
Issiah Walker
Keyshawn Washington
Is this real!! Outside of Hedley and Stevenson we need all the others out there being coached and getting reps. ****!!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Some additional notes from Barry Jackson:

▪ Center Jakai Clark ran indoors, with a trainer, early in practice, and Ryan Rodriguez replaced him at center with the first group. Clark looked fine as he jogged off the field. The first team offensive line, once Clark left, was Zion Nelson at left tackle, Ousman Traore at left guard, Rodriguez at center, Justice Oluwaseun at right guard and DJ Scaife at right tackle. Scaife played well at right guard last season but might be needed at right tackle; that will be a big decision for Cristobal and new offensive line coach Alex Mirabal. Sagapolu, the Oregon transfer, got snaps at guard. ▪ Freshman quarterback Brown made several nice throws and showed good velocity on a 20-yarder to Redding.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...-of-miami/article259141728.html#storylink=cpy

Field looking like Fat Joe's brother.

Fat Joe Mask GIF by Verzuz

Advertisement
Some notes from Matt Shodell at Canesport:

here's what I've got so far - team looks really energetic, sprinting station to station, no down time. And coaches are all VERY hands on. Especially Josh Gattis and Addae - those guys are perfectionists who literally stop their individual work with position groups to go up to one guy that had a bad rep and correct him. Haven't seen that in a LONG time out here. As for guys that stand out just in shorts that I haven't seen on the field before? Super impressed with Frank Ladson, he passes every look test. Tallest WR out here and just looks like that long, rangy downfield playmaker you need. And I was surprised how good Jacurri Brown looks - on point passes, technique needs some work but that's to be expected. Good enough arm for a freshman, passes on target and half a head taller than Van Dyke (Brown was tallest QB out there, Ladson tallest WR).

No real depth chart to be ascertained from the viewing, lot of individual stuff and then a rep here and there for different groups of personnel. might get more on that the last two periods.

But for what it's worth here were guys out there on defense just in first three reps of 7 on 7 for example:
Avery Huff
Corey Flagg
Marcus Clarke
Te'Cory Couch
Al Blades
DJ Ivey
James Williams
Brian Balom
Jalen Harrell

Also of note: Laurence Seymore and Ryan Rodriguez were getting a lot of individual attention from Mirabal at center. And Logan Sagapolu and Justice Oluwaseun were working at RG with Cleveland Reed and Ousman Traore at LG.

In 7 on 7 worth mentioning is Will Mallory great fingertip grab and Blades had a leaping PBU

Advertisement
Some D Line notes from David Lake:

- This group also worked on the other side of the field for much of our viewing window…

- Here is the first team defensive line from what I could gather though: DE Elijah Roberts, DT Jake Lichtenstein, DT Leonard Taylor, DE Jahfari Harvey

Advertisement
Back