the last game where Miami was considered 'elite' in the 2000's..

I saw too many chinks in the armor in 03...

Orlando, how that offensive staff didnt realize after that Florida comeback that Berlin was a shotgun spread QB, and kept trying to play that pro-style, mostly under center, was criminal. Honestly, both he and Kenny Kelly, were not great fits for the Coker-Chud style

And the thing is, thats what Berlin played in high-school, that's what he was bred to do. IMO, if they do that, and go with some up-tempo and just let Berlin get the ball out of his hands quickly into our playmakers outside, that 2003 defense couldve/should've led UM to the national title game. That unit was unreal

But Coker really was in over his head that only talent of this level could make him look competent.

Advertisement
Orlando, how that offensive staff didnt realize after that Florida comeback that Berlin was a shotgun spread QB, and kept trying to play that pro-style, mostly under center, was criminal. Honestly, both he and Kenny Kelly, were not great fits for the Coker-Chud style

And the thing is, thats what Berlin played in high-school, that's what he was bred to do. IMO, if they do that, and go with some up-tempo and just let Berlin get the ball out of his hands quickly into our playmakers outside, that 2003 defense couldve/should've led UM to the national title game. That unit was unreal

But Coker really was in over his head that only talent of this level could make him look competent.
In 03 it was Berlin...Derrick Crudup..Kyle Wright..and Marc Guillion...

Advertisement
Was at the game (after an awesome CANES tailgate). We started slow and then methodically went about our business. You almost didn’t realize the score without looking at it. Remember walking out of the stadium thinking did we really win by that much?

Sorry to say it was when we left the field vs Nebraska, everything since is just a cheap imitation......facts

Kw2 I'm a soldier game vs tenn

I was at that debacle, what a boring game with an awful ending. But at least in 2003, they were able to rebound and find a way to win the rest of their games, go to the Orange Bowl, beat FSU for the second time that season, and finish in the top five.

Yeah it was for sure a mystery. Led all freshman in special teams tackles. & It was clear he was a difference maker while on the field.

Willie was book smart, but undisciplined as ****. Dude just wanted to run around and freelance all day. You can't do that and run a disciplined system or have a defense that isn't giving up huge chunk plays. Shannon wanted him to play within the system, much like guys like Dan Morgan, Jon Vilma and DJ did. Willie thought he knew better. He's always thought that he knew better, hence why he didn't do anything at the college level and ended up as a personal trainer somewhere.

Advertisement
Devin hester was mostly on the bench because they said he couldnt learn the plays in bro style playbook. I think corker made last ditch effort and finally got lightbulb moment in lsu game to use hester as "reggie bush" type role but hester told him eat it, im not gonna play for free, Im out.. What a time to be alive

Hester was just a special kind of dumb. There's a reason why it was such a struggle for him to get into school. I remember watching him with the Bears and other receivers literally walking him to his spot on plays, like you would an eight year old kid in Pop Warner. Hester's talent was so unique he was able to be a force, just on pure ability. Unfortunately, his career will always be a what if. What if he was able to learn any playbook and be a functional receiver? He could have been a surefire HOFer as a WR.

word is that this was very personal situation involving Shannon, more than a few people have told me that. Does anyone in their right mind believe that Glenn Cook should've been on the field more than him?

Glen Cook wasn't the real travesty, it was a name I erased from my memory and trying not to disrespect, but he never made a play his entire career here.

The cause of him not getting on the field was that he would drop assignments and freelance too much. I didn't call it that, I called it diagnosing the play and getting there. His game track of on the field plays and productivity was double that of any backer we had, someone posted.

I don't blame him one but for leaving. Shannon had his project out there in the right spot and he still failed to make s play each and every time.

Anyhow, at that VT game, it was awesome. The next week, what a mess. I literally was bummed about that for two weeks, knew Coker was toast. **** VT game made me think I was wrong about him.

Glen Cook wasn't the real travesty, it was a name I erased from my memory and trying not to disrespect, but he never made a play his entire career here.

The cause of him not getting on the field was that he would drop assignments and freelance too much. I didn't call it that, I called it diagnosing the play and getting there. His game track of on the field plays and productivity was double that of any backer we had, someone posted.

I don't blame him one but for leaving. Shannon had his project out there in the right spot and he still failed to make s play each and every time.

Anyhow, at that VT game, it was awesome. The next week, what a mess. I literally was bummed about that for two weeks, knew Coker was toast. **** VT game made me think I was wrong about him.

It was all a dream, we used to read Word-up magazine...

I was at that game. Sinorice's TD before the half gutted them, they never recovered.

/I remember the car ride home and hearing on the radio that Bama lost, leaving just USC and Texas ahead of us
/I remember this being the first time seeing Calais in person and thinking "**** he's tall"

Last edited:
Advertisement
Hester was just a special kind of dumb. There's a reason why it was such a struggle for him to get into school. I remember watching him with the Bears and other receivers literally walking him to his spot on plays, like you would an eight year old kid in Pop Warner. Hester's talent was so unique he was able to be a force, just on pure ability. Unfortunately, his career will always be a what if. What if he was able to learn any playbook and be a functional receiver? He could have been a surefire HOFer as a WR.

in all fairness, he did make some plays at WR in Chicago and later Atlanta. And one day he'll be in Canton, IMO

in all fairness, he did make some plays at WR in Chicago and later Atlanta. And one day he'll be in Canton, IMO

SOME. When you have that kind of talent, you should be a dominant player. Devin's talent was so unique, he was able to skate by, but I don't feel that he maximized his skills. Some of that was because of his inability(Or unwillingness) to learn playbooks and apply himself mentally.

I think college and nfl are two different animals. The fact you as a coach have a talent like that standing on the sideline because your bro style playbook is that difficult means your playbook sucks. If you have to have the qb walk him to his spot, you do it. He was too special to have on sideline while we could have used that talent, every school in nation can. Admitting so after LSU just shows how dumb and ignorant we were with bro style.

Advertisement
1st down on the 30 and a throw into triple coverage to Olsen. That was the end of the Era right then. LSU finished it

if you look at that play, Quadtrine Hill was wide open in the flat, could've gotten it to at least the 15 yard line. Terrible decision by Wright, his career was never the same..

I watched practices multiple times during the GT week. We were lax and goofing off in direct contrast to the practices I watched during the VT week (a game we won impressively) that same season. I remember writing about it before the game on CanesOverHere or CanesTime. I think that game was the nail in our run's coffin, but caused by the same lack uneven focus that plagued those post-Reed Coker-led teams.

I watched practices multiple times during the GT week. We were lax and goofing off in direct contrast to the practices I watched during the VT week (a game we won impressively) that same season. I remember writing about it before the game on CanesOverHere or CanesTime. I think that game was the nail in our run's coffin, but caused by the same lack uneven focus that plagued those post-Reed Coker-led teams.

And people think coaching/leadership doesn't matter - or that it's just about X-and-O's.

Coker was that substitute teacher, who got REAL lucky.

People who kept harping on 53-9 never truly grasped that a better coach in that era would've had half the losses, and many more dominant wins. Say it with me -- coaching absolutely matters...

Advertisement
Back