the last game where Miami was considered 'elite' in the 2000's..

k9cane

Senior
I know they had that magical 2017 run, where they were #2 in the country, but that was smoke and mirror to a certain degree. But somehow this video came up on my Youtube feed last night and I watched it. ( I remember actually ordering this game on the ESPN Game Plan PPV, lol, remember that?). This was a week after wrecking a highly ranked VAtech team in Blacksburg on prime time. I remember thinking, 'Wow, maybe Coker isn't this feckless, ineffective leader, after all, maybe I was wrong about him."

At this point, while USC and Texas were the two top ranked teams, I thought Miami, on paper, at least, could compete

But to put this game into context, after a disappointing opening night loss to FSU, Miami went on this long winning streak and the defense really came together and the offense led by Kyle Wright seemed to be improving. And on this day, he looked like the goods, throwing 5 touchdowns and making some eye opening tosses (the one to Olsen was a laser shot, I remember thinking, "this kid is real, we got a QB!!!'') People forget, Wright up to this point had looked promising, and was getting better.

Watch these clips and you'll see that UM still had elite talent all over, the defensive backfield had three #1 picks in Merriweather, Jenning and Phillips -- and Marcus Maxey got drafted. Jon Beason was a future first rounder, and I thought Rocky McIntosh was playing as well as any LB in the country that year. Upfront, guys like Kareem Brown, and Baraka Atkins were solid enough to be drafted. While a young Calais Campbell played a role.

Offensively, Olsen was a stud, Sinorice Moss was drafted high, as was Eric Winston. But the overall talent upfront on the Oline was lacking. BTW, Darnell Jenkins in todays spread offenses would be unreal, always thought he was mis-under utilized at Miami. Also Devin Hester was on this squad, playing various roles.

Anyways the next week they lose at home to Gatech, and really, that signaled the end. It was a soul crushing loss (and honestly, the rest of the season our guys packed it in and then got embarassed by LSU in the Peach Bowl. Coker scapegoated assistants that Monday, and really, you just kinda knew things had come to a head.)

Last edited:
Advertisement
This team also had true freshman Kenny Phillips & Willie Williams. Shame WW didnt work out

Last edited:
I know they had that magical 2017 run, where they were #2 in the country, but that was smoke and mirror to a certain degree. But somehow this video came up on my Youtube feed last night and I watched it. ( I remember actually ordering this game on the ESPN Game Plan PPV, lol, remember that?). This was a week after wrecking a highly ranked VAtech team in Blacksburg on prime time. I remember thinking, 'Wow, maybe Coker isn't this feckless, ineffective leader, after all, maybe I was wrong about him."

At this point, while USC and Texas were the two top ranked teams, I thought Miami, on paper, at least, could compete

But to put this game into context, after a disappointing opening night loss to FSU, Miami went on this long winning streak and the defense really came together and the offense led by Kyle Wright seemed to be improving. And on this day, he looked like the good, throwing 5 touchdowns and making some eye opening tosses (the one to Olsen was a laser shot, I remember thinking, "this kid is real, we got a QB!!!'') People forget, Wright up to this point had looked good, and was getting better.

Watch these clips and you'll see that UM still had elite talent all over, the defensive backfield had three #1 picks in Merriweather, Jenning and Phillips -- and Marcus Maxey got drafted. Jon Beason was a future first rounder, and I thought Rocky McIntosh was playing as well as any LB in the country that year. Upfront, guys like Kareem Brown, and Baraka Atkins were solid enough to be drafted. While a young Calais Campbell played a role.

Offensively, Olsen was a stud, Sinorice Moss was drafted high, as was Eric Winston. But the overall talent upfront on the Oline was lacking. BTW, Darnell Jenkins in todays spread offenses would be unreal, always thought he was mis-under utilized at Miami. Also Devin Hester was on this squad, playing various roles.

Anyways the next week they lose at home to Gatech, and really, that signaled the end. It was a soul crushing loss (and honestly, the rest of the season our guys packed it in and then got embarassed by LSU in the Peach Bowl. Coker scapegoated assistants that Monday, and really, you just kinda knew things had come to a head.)

lock it

Advertisement
Devin hester was mostly on the bench because they said he couldnt learn the plays in bro style playbook. I think corker made last ditch effort and finally got lightbulb moment in lsu game to use hester as "reggie bush" type role but hester told him eat it, im not gonna play for free, Im out.. What a time to be alive

Devin hester was mostly on the bench because they said he couldnt learn the plays in bro style playbook. I think corker made last ditch effort and finally got lightbulb moment in lsu game to use hester as "reggie bush" type role but hester told him eat it, im not gonna play for free, Im out.. What a time to be alive
Coker's last ditch effort was a feeble attempt to keep Hester from declaring early for the NFL draft. The "Hester package" was primarily some stupid wildcat plays or trickeration to get him the ball. There was no sincere attempt to integrate him into the offense the way Reggie Bush was used.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I remember seeing talent flash from 2003 through 2005, but the leadership that was evident from the 2000 through 2002 teams was clearly missing (at least in my eyes). That GTech game in 05 was a gut punch and a clear signal that the run was over. ****, I can’t wait to get back to expecting to win big games!

Coker's last ditch effort was a feeble attempt to keep Hester from declaring early for the NFL draft. The "Hester package" was primarily some stupid wildcat plays or trickeration to get him the ball. There was no sincere attempt to integrate him into the offense the way Reggie Bush was used.

Plus, he announced it to LSU and the world right before the bowl game so they knew exactly what was coming. Unbelievable.

Advertisement

But to put this game into context, after a disappointing opening night loss to FSU, Miami went on this long winning streak and the defense really came together and the offense led by Kyle Wright seemed to be improving. And on this day, he looked like the good, throwing 5 touchdowns and making some eye opening tosses (the one to Olsen was a laser shot, I remember thinking, "this kid is real, we got a QB!!!'') People forget, Wright up to this point had looked good, and was getting better.

To me, it either ended in that awful loss to LSU in the bowl, or against Louisville the following season. For the latter, Miami had lost an opening game squeaker to FSU (just as in 2005) and was 1-1 and ranked when they traveled to Louisville. There was no reason to expect that the Canes couldn't handle the Cardinals and put out another 9 or 10 win season. Instead, they got squashed. For the first time since 1997, Miami was 1-2. That ended all aspirations of being elite for me.

Elite. I love the U, ain’t nothing else but this U. On the Molly tho 💀😂

Advertisement
Weird, I have no recollection of Jones playing running back. I need a synopsis of him.

Yeah it was for sure a mystery. Led all freshman in special teams tackles. & It was clear he was a difference maker while on the field.

word is that this was very personal situation involving Shannon, more than a few people have told me that. Does anyone in their right mind believe that Glenn Cook should've been on the field more than him?

Weird, I have no recollection of Jones playing running back. I need a synopsis of him.

Had a decent run of play during that winning streak in 2005. But not a real difference maker, ended up transferring to Memphis for his last season. The big RB recruit his year was really Bobby Washington, IIRC, who never got to Coral Gables

Advertisement
Back