the last game where Miami was considered 'elite' in the 2000's..

And people think coaching/leadership doesn't matter - or that it's just about X-and-O's.

Coker was that substitute teacher, who got REAL lucky.

People who kept harping on 53-9 never truly grasped that a better coach in that era would've had half the losses, and many more dominant wins. Say it with me -- coaching absolutely matters...
Leadership matters, obviously. We'll find out more this year, but no reasonable Canes fan can say that how we performed last year coming off BYE weeks is not of significant concern going forward. It's almost too unbelievable. When looking at the numbers from those games vs games against Louisville or Virginia, you almost wonder if we played with different players.

Advertisement
Leadership matters, obviously. We'll find out more this year, but no reasonable Canes fan can say that how we performed last year coming off BYE weeks is not of significant concern going forward. It's almost too unbelievable. When looking at the numbers from those games vs games against Louisville or Virginia, you almost wonder if we played with different players.

Lu, after that Louisville game, I thought we - and Jarren Williams-- had turned the corner, I really did. Im thinking, "Ok, it's not the record I wanted, but we got this thing going in the right direction, lets win this games(which were very winnable) and get to recruiting."

And then we lay more eggs then a hen. I found that inexcusable in many ways. Manny lost me

Now he has chance to get me back on his side...

Miami at VT 2005 was the last “elite” game we played. No one, and I mean, NO ONE, gave us a chance at Blacksburg that night. VT was coming in on fire. We dominated that game. Something happened in the previous game against UNC at halftime that sparked the team and that carried over to VT. I put that above ND simply because it was an a dominating performance, with major injuries, in the arguably the biggest hostile crowd we have witnessed in decades.

Willie was book smart, but undisciplined as ****. Dude just wanted to run around and freelance all day. You can't do that and run a disciplined system or have a defense that isn't giving up huge chunk plays. Shannon wanted him to play within the system, much like guys like Dan Morgan, Jon Vilma and DJ did. Willie thought he knew better. He's always thought that he knew better, hence why he didn't do anything at the college level and ended up as a personal trainer somewhere.
Maannnnn this post is 100% Trash....Shannon ruined him, just like Arthur Brown....Stop the nonsense....

I know they had that magical 2017 run, where they were #2 in the country, but that was smoke and mirror to a certain degree. But somehow this video came up on my Youtube feed last night and I watched it. ( I remember actually ordering this game on the ESPN Game Plan PPV, lol, remember that?). This was a week after wrecking a highly ranked VAtech team in Blacksburg on prime time. I remember thinking, 'Wow, maybe Coker isn't this feckless, ineffective leader, after all, maybe I was wrong about him."

At this point, while USC and Texas were the two top ranked teams, I thought Miami, on paper, at least, could compete

But to put this game into context, after a disappointing opening night loss to FSU, Miami went on this long winning streak and the defense really came together and the offense led by Kyle Wright seemed to be improving. And on this day, he looked like the goods, throwing 5 touchdowns and making some eye opening tosses (the one to Olsen was a laser shot, I remember thinking, "this kid is real, we got a QB!!!'') People forget, Wright up to this point had looked promising, and was getting better.

Watch these clips and you'll see that UM still had elite talent all over, the defensive backfield had three #1 picks in Merriweather, Jenning and Phillips -- and Marcus Maxey got drafted. Jon Beason was a future first rounder, and I thought Rocky McIntosh was playing as well as any LB in the country that year. Upfront, guys like Kareem Brown, and Baraka Atkins were solid enough to be drafted. While a young Calais Campbell played a role.

Offensively, Olsen was a stud, Sinorice Moss was drafted high, as was Eric Winston. But the overall talent upfront on the Oline was lacking. BTW, Darnell Jenkins in todays spread offenses would be unreal, always thought he was mis-under utilized at Miami. Also Devin Hester was on this squad, playing various roles.

Anyways the next week they lose at home to Gatech, and really, that signaled the end. It was a soul crushing loss (and honestly, the rest of the season our guys packed it in and then got embarassed by LSU in the Peach Bowl. Coker scapegoated assistants that Monday, and really, you just kinda knew things had come to a head.)

Yep, the last great game. Very next game was GaTech/Seventh Floor Crew and we began our long, unending spiral into mediocrity and/or humiliation.

Advertisement
I know they had that magical 2017 run, where they were #2 in the country, but that was smoke and mirror to a certain degree. But somehow this video came up on my Youtube feed last night and I watched it. ( I remember actually ordering this game on the ESPN Game Plan PPV, lol, remember that?). This was a week after wrecking a highly ranked VAtech team in Blacksburg on prime time. I remember thinking, 'Wow, maybe Coker isn't this feckless, ineffective leader, after all, maybe I was wrong about him."

At this point, while USC and Texas were the two top ranked teams, I thought Miami, on paper, at least, could compete

But to put this game into context, after a disappointing opening night loss to FSU, Miami went on this long winning streak and the defense really came together and the offense led by Kyle Wright seemed to be improving. And on this day, he looked like the goods, throwing 5 touchdowns and making some eye opening tosses (the one to Olsen was a laser shot, I remember thinking, "this kid is real, we got a QB!!!'') People forget, Wright up to this point had looked promising, and was getting better.

Watch these clips and you'll see that UM still had elite talent all over, the defensive backfield had three #1 picks in Merriweather, Jenning and Phillips -- and Marcus Maxey got drafted. Jon Beason was a future first rounder, and I thought Rocky McIntosh was playing as well as any LB in the country that year. Upfront, guys like Kareem Brown, and Baraka Atkins were solid enough to be drafted. While a young Calais Campbell played a role.

Offensively, Olsen was a stud, Sinorice Moss was drafted high, as was Eric Winston. But the overall talent upfront on the Oline was lacking. BTW, Darnell Jenkins in todays spread offenses would be unreal, always thought he was mis-under utilized at Miami. Also Devin Hester was on this squad, playing various roles.

Anyways the next week they lose at home to Gatech, and really, that signaled the end. It was a soul crushing loss (and honestly, the rest of the season our guys packed it in and then got embarassed by LSU in the Peach Bowl. Coker scapegoated assistants that Monday, and really, you just kinda knew things had come to a head.)

Agree 100%. Well said!

Orlando, how that offensive staff didnt realize after that Florida comeback that Berlin was a shotgun spread QB, and kept trying to play that pro-style, mostly under center, was criminal. Honestly, both he and Kenny Kelly, were not great fits for the Coker-Chud style

And the thing is, thats what Berlin played in high-school, that's what he was bred to do. IMO, if they do that, and go with some up-tempo and just let Berlin get the ball out of his hands quickly into our playmakers outside, that 2003 defense couldve/should've led UM to the national title game. That unit was unreal

But Coker really was in over his head that only talent of this level could make him look competent.
We have been stuck with a lot of coaches being stubborn and not adapting to their players, Berlin was money in the gun, we just refused to change. So sad and frustrating.

We have been stuck with a lot of coaches being stubborn and not adapting to their players, Berlin was money in the gun, we just refused to change. So sad and frustrating.

I just remember when Brock first committed to Florida, literally ever highlight was him in the 'gun, I'd bet he rarely took snaps from under center.

But UM was so wed to being 'pro-style' and 'NFL U' they kept pounding square pegs into round holes(for about 15 years, lol)

Advertisement
I just remember when Brock first committed to Florida, literally ever highlight was him in the 'gun, I'd bet he rarely took snaps from under center.

But UM was so wed to being 'pro-style' and 'NFL U' they kept pounding square pegs into round holes(for about 15 years, lol)
Think how many more wins we would have if we went spread a decade ago. Crazy as it sounds, Golden May have won here if we wasn’t married to Doritos and their trash scheme.

We finally have an offense that should fit the athletes littering south Florida.

Wasn't Todd Berry a spread guy? I kind of chuckle at the thought of Coker almost figuring out what we needed before the end

Advertisement
Advertisement
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dee vetoed Berry-for-OC and forced the hiring of Rich Olson, with Berry working as QB Coach.
He still didn't have the personnel to work the spread, even if instituted. Miami had only six wide receivers going into the year due to repeated and in retrospect preposterous recruiting failures. That number includes the converted CB. They lost two of them (one was Darnell Jenkins) during the season. The Canes were better suited to run the triple option offense in 2006 versus a spread.

Advertisement
Back