The King and Ragone Show with Nesta Silvera

I'm sure Nesta has some solid points, but he's obviously going to paint himself in the most positive light. Alot of other ppl in the building believe he was a loose cannon, a knucklehead, and at times a bully that negatively affected the overall culture of the locker room. I'm a big proponent of its not what you say or do its how you do it and I kind see Nesta coming off and rubbing alot of ppl the wrong way. With that being said alot of this **** gets swept under the rug when you're winning, we weren't so those issues get mangified.

I wish him well, he didn't live up to our expectations but there's other's that did alot less then him. He was a solid contributor for this team, which is more then I can say for alot of dudes on this roster.

Advertisement
the moral to this story is that weak, incompetent leadership leads to disarray and betraying loyalties in the locker room. it always starts at the top, and you can't slip slide your way to leadership.

i believe nesta and i also believe @Boarcane et al. who say Nesta was a cancer. both are probably right to some degree. again, none of this would have happened if you had a strong, competent HBC.

Last edited:
I don't mean this to come across as questioning King's statement (or Nesta), but it just seems odd to me that he would leave when UM FINALLY has a HC and a structure in place that demands 100% full effort. Nesta, for all of his limitations, always looked like a guy to me that gave it 100% every time he was out there.

I know he is maybe a bit undersized by Mario's standards, but surely one would think Nesta's competitive spirit would be welcomed to stay on the team, especially with the lack of depth at DT.
Good post. The question is then, did new new staff want him to stay. With all of his passion, was he going to be a fit in their scheme and at his size and at his position?

Advertisement
Good post. The question is then, did new new staff want him to stay. With all of his passion, was he going to be a fit in their scheme and at his size and at his position?

The answer is no. And keep in mind, at the time that Nesta was asked to leave, the "new staff" was like three guys, Cristobal, Mirabal, and Feld.

I understand that some people might want to put all of the emphasis on "on-field" only.

But without going into specifics, just look at the timing and circumstances. Later this spring, we will see some guys leave who basically agree with Mario (that things need to change) but that are not fully capable of doing all the things that Mario requires. You might also see some guys leave before spring practice who simply don't buy in to what is happening, and what changes are being made.

If this were an "on-field play" evaluation situation, this would have happened at the end of April.

Advertisement
Never seen a program air out dirty laundry as much at UM.
Players who transfer out, some alumni, some Board of Directors, players who leak out stuff, even staff have.

Am I crazy? Or is this pretty common place. Like shoot, if guy thought that some players shouldn't have played, wouldn't be the perfect time to bring it up to a guy (i.e., Cristobal) who lived it beforehand, and to be quite honest, seems like Mario would welcome it and notice that in a leader type person?

Either way, I think this is a grey area (ex. the way he's speaking of the program) between sour grapes and just straight fed up with some **** that was flying around the program while he was here and maybe he didn't want to have to be part of a rebuilding effort AGAIN.

It seems more prevalent because you're a fan of this team. So you're going to see it while you're not a fan of others, so you'll miss that.

There are very few secrets in this day and time. Everyone has a phone that can not only shoot pictures, but video as well. Someone does or says something it's out there instantly. There are so many podcasts, shows, and other media forms that even if there isn't an audience, there can instantly be one if something interesting pops on it.

So no, you're not crazy.

Not calling you out, serious question. Do you know that for sure or is that supposition on your part?

Was I in the room? No. But this is also not supposition. I'm trying to be diplomatic, but I could phrase it more directly if that's what it takes for some people (not talking about you, just generally) to conclude that this isn't some made-up nonsense for my podcast.

And in case it isn't obvious, I don't have a podcast. Or a Twitter. Or a Spaces. Or whatever else the kids are doing these days.

the best part of this story, the guy getting cut for sleeping during film study, is that Jimmy Johnson said if it had been Troy Aikman he would have gotten him a pillow. you treat the star athletes a little different in the league.
I'm pretty sure I remember a story about Bill Parcells telling a player, "yes, LT has different rules"

Advertisement
Highly doubt Mario ran him off before they did an off-season workout. If he didn't run Ivey, Flagg, and others off there is no way he ran Nesta off without giving him a chance. I expect him to run off quite a few guys after spring, but I don't think he would do it already when he was busy recruiting and interviewing staff. Not to mention, we will barely have enough DT's for spring as it is.

Advertisement
Highly doubt Mario ran him off before they did an off-season workout. If he didn't run Ivey, Flagg, and others off there is no way he ran Nesta off without giving him a chance. I expect him to run off quite a few guys after spring, but I don't think he would do it already when he was busy recruiting and interviewing staff. Not to mention, we will barely have enough DT's for spring as it is.

But...he did...

Advertisement
Back