The key to Clemson's success - take note Manny.

Advertisement
Corny post OP. Venables just schemed a great game and the offense made plays when they had to. It's that simple; Bama will be in the national title game next year... again.
I think you're right about Bama in NC game next year, after that I think Saban is gone he looks bored and will probably leave for another challenge.

No, hire the best coaches possible who have experience/competent, are innovators and can recruit.

You get what you pay for. The UM administration is only starting to realize that.

Have you seen their staff? Outside of Venables, a lot of their guys are home grown guys. In other words, they are not top dollar coodinators/position coaches, rather, guys that enjoy Clemson, work well together and are solid recruiters. It's not about the best innovators. You can have the innovators without having a good vision, strategy and implementers and you'll be crappy.

Clemson's always paid players. Refrigerator Perry had payments dropped off at his mother's house. I know Clemson boosters, and have been told by more than one about the man with the briefcase after games, and kids that have been paid in the past. Most of the teams, probably excluding Vanderbilt, do it. Clemson was up and down at best under Swinney, disappointing actually, until they took a leap of faith, retained him, and spent the money on the coordinators and on the support staff for recruiting. That's the key. I think Diaz has the right attitude, but it's useless without good coordinators.
Makes for good tv....moar please.

Advertisement
Bags aside, Clemson’s DL came back for a common cause - a NC. They wanted another game with Bama. All would have been high round picks last season and millionaires. No different than Ed Reed and Bryant McKinney returning for their senior seasons in 2001.

Miami loses projected 6th round picks and UFAs.

Clemson benefits from Miami and FSU being down in an ACC that is very weak.

If Miami and FSU we’re back at the top Clemson would not be a dominant team
You may want to check the last 4 BCS Playoffs Clemson involved
Yeah, I’m not sure why this money theory keeps going, but it needs to stop. Like I was talking to an old school Cane fan from Broward at the gym yesterday and he said they been paying kids since the beginning of time. We gotta stop hiding behind that excuse. Clemson invested in their program and look no further than how much the coaching staff is making. Dabo already said they’ll be celebrating tonight (after the game), but will be right back at it Friday to prepare for next yr.

Hoping Manny is obsessed w winning like that.
Agree. Clemson just had THREE first rounders that were draft eligible come back to DL for the Tigers. Please don’t tell me Clemson was paying them more than the NFL!

Its not just loving your coach, Golden and Richt were never one of the boys like Dabo is. They have incredible facilities and passionate fans. Players look at a full stadium, players loving their coach, great facilities and the parents love Dabo. It's a no brainer that they will be around a long time.

Advertisement
For the past 24 hours we've heard everyone theorizing on the success of Clemson and how to best replicate it. For me it's simple: Those kids absolutely love that dude, and they love playing for him. What's more, they actually look like they're having fun out there every time I watch them play(I know, a noble concept right?) I can't ever recall watching them and thinking they look tight or the moment looks too big, and I believe that's a direct reflection of their head coach. Nobody can deny Saban's success, but when I view their program from a distance it resembles a robotic factory based on mutual interests and business decisions. Their is no fun at Bama, their is no...family. Granted, the skeptics might say, "It's easy to have fun when you're winning", but I think that's a direct reflection of their approach to the game. What do you see at Clemson that you aren't seeing at other major P5 programs? Coaches staying for long tenures, first round draft picks returning for their senior year, etc., which leads you to believe they have a great deal of love and respect for what they've built. I get the feeling a lot of our kids have a great deal of admiration and respect for Manny which gives me hope for the future. We need to get back to fostering a sense of family with this program, truly adopting an "Us against the world" mentality, play care-free and loose, and most of all get back to having fun again(something that began to vanish under Richt.)
Your pretty much spot on with your assessment!! I would add too that Saban's antics probably ran it's course with players and coaches. He looked more worn out and disinterested on the sideline. This would be his calling to get out before it becomes more embarrassing for him.

But as far as Clemson and Dabo, the kids love the guy and it shows throughout the program. The guy built the program from scratch when he was promote from WR coach to HC. I give the guy a lot of credit for the success they are having now.

One thing that can't be stressed enough is that the team reflects the HC. Bama came out flat in that game because their HC was unemotional.

The OP makes valid points.

Yes. BAMA has had equal or slightly more success the last 5 seasons.

The key difference is Clemson is doing it with WAY less talent. They don’t finish with perennial top 10 classes let alone top 3 classes like Bama does.

So what is the variable? The things the OP mentions IMO

Thank u I’ve said the same thing. We got a bunch of clemson fans on here
It’s called being a realist. Thank God we are not in their division. I think they only outscored us 97-3 in our last two meetings. Other than that, we match up pretty well!

Advertisement
Bags aside, Clemson’s DL came back for a common cause - a NC. They wanted another game with Bama. All would have been high round picks last season and millionaires. No different than Ed Reed and Bryant McKinney returning for their senior seasons in 2001.

Miami loses projected 6th round picks and UFAs.

Let's hope Manny's LBs coming back are a sign it might get better under him.

Advertisement
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...idnt-offer-many-of-its-players-in-recruiting/

Here's a better answer: better player evals and coaching. The bags argument might hold water if Clemson and Bama were competing for the same recruits and they ended up at Clemson. Its easy to look up offer lists so you can verify this yourself. Many of Clemson's players on D weren't even offered by Bama, which goes to show that Clemson has a different method for player evals. Miami could learn from this. Don't try to beat Bama at the bag game- you'll lose every time.

OP makes a good point regarding the game being "fun to play". Manny has made several statements about wanting that to be the case for the Canes.

One other note: there are two posters in this thread with Dr. Manhattan avatars.

For the past 24 hours we've heard everyone theorizing on the success of Clemson and how to best replicate it. For me it's simple: Those kids absolutely love that dude, and they love playing for him. What's more, they actually look like they're having fun out there every time I watch them play(I know, a noble concept right?) I can't ever recall watching them and thinking they look tight or the moment looks too big, and I believe that's a direct reflection of their head coach. Nobody can deny Saban's success, but when I view their program from a distance it resembles a robotic factory based on mutual interests and business decisions. Their is no fun at Bama, their is no...family. Granted, the skeptics might say, "It's easy to have fun when you're winning", but I think that's a direct reflection of their approach to the game. What do you see at Clemson that you aren't seeing at other major P5 programs? Coaches staying for long tenures, first round draft picks returning for their senior year, etc., which leads you to believe they have a great deal of love and respect for what they've built. I get the feeling a lot of our kids have a great deal of admiration and respect for Manny which gives me hope for the future. We need to get back to fostering a sense of family with this program, truly adopting an "Us against the world" mentality, play care-free and loose, and most of all get back to having fun again(something that began to vanish under Richt.)

18CC1857-1A07-48E9-9F23-B9F9F6B46933.gif

Clemson's always paid players. Refrigerator Perry had payments dropped off at his mother's house. I know Clemson boosters, and have been told by more than one about the man with the briefcase after games, and kids that have been paid in the past. Most of the teams, probably excluding Vanderbilt, do it. Clemson was up and down at best under Swinney, disappointing actually, until they took a leap of faith, retained him, and spent the money on the coordinators and on the support staff for recruiting. That's the key. I think Diaz has the right attitude, but it's useless without good coordinators.

Yup. Anyone who says different either hasn't been paying attention/doesn't know, or is pushing revisionist history. Dabo is no genius coach and was well on his way to failure when the boosters got fed up and "decided you can't beat the SEC, so might as well join them." Don't get me wrong, I am not taking away credit where it is due, but Clemson's success is THE DIRECT result of an institutional decision to be good at football and to do absolutely whatever was necessary to get there, following the SEC's model of leaving no stone unturned and throwing enormous amounts of money at the football program.

Advertisement
Back