The hurdle that is UNC

Advertisement
As I was sitting at the UNC vs Miami baseball games Friday night watching the canes lose another sporting event I watched them play at UNC it got me thinking about our history there. Even more so since we play at UNC this year.

In football Miami is 3-6 all time at UNC. Out of those 3 wins you have the miracle drive in 2013 to save a to that point undefeated season and the game saving fumble in 2017 against a 1 win UNC team and our 8-0 team. (The third win if your curious; we were up by 24 points and it took a sack with 20 seconds left to save the game. Held on to win 30-24 in 2011)

What do you all think it is about that place that makes us play so bad?

I also figured we probably had a terrible overall record against UNC since joining the ACC because of all the pain I feel about that place but surpassingly we are 8-9 against them since joining the conference. Since 2004 each school has won 2 games in a row in the series except one year. (I guess that bodes well for this year since we've lost 2 in a row) But no school in the ACC has consistently put beat downs on us like UNC, when we lose to them it is usually bad.

As it was getting cold Friday night and I watched us give up 4 runs in the 5th inning I came to the decision that UNC has passed VT as my most hated team in the ACC. (besides FSU obviously)
What’s it about that place that makes us play so bad? Bad coaching.

When we were an Independent other teams were not built to beat us. In a conference teams build to beat their conference competition. ND has that advantage now, look how they came in and had a great year despite being new to the ACC. The Big East and the ACC copy success. Our opponents pick at weakness and Pitt figured us out two years ago and we crashed and burned at the end of the season. NC saw weakness (as did others) at LB and exploited us with ridiculous rushing yards. The teams that stay on top in a conference do it by consistency of coaching and coaches that know how to exploit a weakness. Coaching today is copycat coaching, once one team exploits a weakness you better start fixing it. It appears that Diaz recognizes where we need to improve as he keeps patching the **** via the portal and coaches. It amazed me how quick he pulled the trigger on Enos, Lashlee is a Godsend.
When Richt was here he let family damage the good he was doing by keeping his son as QB coach. We were a mess and the strides Diaz is making surprise me as a first time head coach. I hope he finds a DC that fits his schemes and plans for the future. He sure seems to know how to pluck talent from the portal every year. We will have a good year, our great success lies in the future.

We have one of the biggest regular season games coming up against the best team of the last decade, defending National Champions....
...and you want to bump up a UNC thread.

Saturday please come soon.

As I was sitting at the UNC vs Miami baseball games Friday night watching the canes lose another sporting event I watched them play at UNC it got me thinking about our history there. Even more so since we play at UNC this year.

In football Miami is 3-6 all time at UNC. Out of those 3 wins you have the miracle drive in 2013 to save a to that point undefeated season and the game saving fumble in 2017 against a 1 win UNC team and our 8-0 team. (The third win if your curious; we were up by 24 points and it took a sack with 20 seconds left to save the game. Held on to win 30-24 in 2011)

What do you all think it is about that place that makes us play so bad?

I also figured we probably had a terrible overall record against UNC since joining the ACC because of all the pain I feel about that place but surpassingly we are 8-9 against them since joining the conference. Since 2004 each school has won 2 games in a row in the series except one year. (I guess that bodes well for this year since we've lost 2 in a row) But no school in the ACC has consistently put beat downs on us like UNC, when we lose to them it is usually bad.

As it was getting cold Friday night and I watched us give up 4 runs in the 5th inning I came to the decision that UNC has passed VT as my most hated team in the ACC. (besides FSU obviously)

3-5 in Chapel Hill since 2004—3-6 if you count a 1963 game up there (3-3 in home games between 1946 and 1961.)

Tripped up in that quirky 2004 game as that 5-0, third-ranked Miami team was a shell of what it was in years prior. Needed a miracle to beat FSU in OT opener. Defense gave up a combined 86 points and a slew of yards in back to back wins over North Carolina State and Louisville weeks prior (down 24-7 at the half; needed an act of God and Devin Hester to eke that one out.)

The issues at North Carolina really go back to the Butch Davis and pupil-versus-teacher issue that Randy Shannon had with his old boss—1-3 between 2006 and 2009 (lost two road games)—and now the same issue Manny is having with his old boss Mack Brown, who he is 0-2 against.

The miracle wins there came on Al Golden's watch—hung on in 2011, almost blowing a huge lead, and the 2013 monster comeback—while Mark Richt got a road win there in 2017; Miami hanging on for dear life against a bad Tar Heels squad that was 1-7—a win over Old Dominion—and on the heels of a 59-7 road loss at Virginia Tech.

North Carolina popped Miami in the mouth year one in the ACC three years later Butch had his kids playing with purpose against the Canes (same way he got FIU riled up in 2019.) They've never feared Miami—similar to Georgia Tech, who got four in a row (2005-2008), which has carried over to this decade and no belief inside those football walls that the Hurricanes have their number. If anything, the opposite—as Miami is the one who knows a North Carolina or Georgia Tech doesn't sweat them.

Strangely, Miami basketball has found way to upset North Carolina and doesn't sweat the Tar Heels on the hardwood—getting some big wins against the powerhouse over the years; even in years the Heels were good and Canes down. So it goes.

Manny needs this one more than anything this year—but also can't put that kind of pressure on a win up there, or he'll blow it. North Carolina flat out plays Miami tough and they always bring their best against the Canes. Especially at their house.

Advertisement
YOU NIGGAZ SCARED OF THESE FAKE JORDAN WEARING *** NINJAZ? THEY DON"T EVEN HAVE A CRACK HOUSE
Shocked Baby GIF

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back