The Greatest High School Football Game of All Time

Advertisement
In 1966, Al Bundy scored four touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versus Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds against his old nemesis, Bubba "Spare Tire" Dixon.
Confused here.

It was my understanding that Bubba dropped him “like 3rd period French.”

Try to find Kyle Wright's win over San Ramon and the Michigan-bound QB they had. What a duel. To this day I still cannot believe Wright didn't pan out after watching that.

If anyone can find it, or even highlights, please post. One of the best HS playoff games ever.

Chud to Werner to Olson/Berry to Nix—coupled with the drop-off in offensive line play and surrounding talent; highly-touted receivers like Ryan Moore and Lance Leggett not panning out—they all killed Wright's era and legacy at Miami. Kid couldn't have walked into a worse situation than the Canes from 2003 through 2007; getting his shot in 2005 when the wheels were effectively coming off completely (stomped out 40-3 in Peach Bowl against LSU.)

Advertisement
I'll still put Plano East vs. John Tyler (1994) against this game—Plano up 41-17 with 3:03 remaining in the fourth quarter and inexplicably falling 44-41 after John Tyler recovered three consecutive onside kicks.

I remember watching that game live. I was so happy watching Lakeland give up that lead.

RIP #25 Jemar Taylor
My Nephew played on that Aquinas team, won a couple of state titles and a mythical national championship, got a full scholarship to Notre Dame and went on to play Alabama for CFB National Championship when Bama crushed the Irish. I told him you experienced in five years what some will never experience in a lifetime, be grateful.

I watched that St. Thomas / Lakeland game also, incredible finish, was it a TD on the final play or not? I'm still not sure today.

Youngsters don’t remember how there would routinely be 40k+ for high school games at the OB
Oh?
1965, MHS vs Gables.
Gables lost 14 -7.
Snapping a 28 game win streak.
The old Gal was filled to the gills.
Also, no PRO sports in Florida..

Oh?
1965, MHS vs Gables.
Gables lost 14 -7.
Snapping a 28 game win streak.
The old Gal was filled to the gills.
Also, no PRO sports in Florida..
Was Gables ranked #1 in the country, or whatever the equivalent was back then?

Advertisement
The 65 game drew over 44k. MHS vs Edison in 59 drew about 38k, MHS vs Gables in 61 was about 37k. I say about, but those numbers are very close. Back then it was child’s play to sneak into the OB, so there were a lot more there than the official count. I did it many, many times.
****, after the 1st. quarter the ticket takers would be watching the game.
Used th to sneak into UM games too..

Advertisement
Advertisement
Dallas Carter vs Permian.

Carter the best rated highschool in history
What's with all these Florida d riders. I can't recall 3 football movies made about some FL or cali trash game. Pull your head out of your **** and look at the charts. Homers are so blind

What's with all these Florida d riders. I can't recall 3 football movies made about some FL or cali trash game. Pull your head out of your **** and look at the charts. Homers are so blind
Movies are usually based on books. No one in Florida can write more than a few paragraphs. That doesn't mean the games were bad.

My Nephew played on that Aquinas team, won a couple of state titles and a mythical national championship, got a full scholarship to Notre Dame and went on to play Alabama for CFB National Championship when Bama crushed the Irish. I told him you experienced in five years what some will never experience in a lifetime, be grateful.

I watched that St. Thomas / Lakeland game also, incredible finish, was it a TD on the final play or not? I'm still not sure today.
It was close. Probably need sideline camera to be certain

Advertisement
Back