The Greatest High School Football Game of All Time

Advertisement
The MNW vs Boone State Championship in Orlando had a Great Crowd...Dade was representing like a MFer...I sat next to Brandon Harris and his family...(Brandon Won a State Championship same yr at Carol City)
I thought Brandon Harris came outta Booker T?

Advertisement
Legend has it those Coral Gables vs Miami Sr games in the mid 60’s would nearly pack the OB also
The 65 game drew over 44k. MHS vs Edison in 59 drew about 38k, MHS vs Gables in 61 was about 37k. I say about, but those numbers are very close. Back then it was child’s play to sneak into the OB, so there were a lot more there than the official count. I did it many, many times.

Try to find Kyle Wright's win over San Ramon and the Michigan-bound QB they had. What a duel. To this day I still cannot believe Wright didn't pan out after watching that.

If anyone can find it, or even highlights, please post. One of the best HS playoff games ever.
Wright looked like a cant miss. I vividly remember watching his videos and thinking he could win multiple championships at miami.

The 65 game drew over 44k. MHS vs Edison in 59 drew about 38k, MHS vs Gables in 61 was about 37k. I say about, but those numbers are very close. Back then it was child’s play to sneak into the OB, so there were a lot more there than the official count. I did it many, many times.
There was 20K in the OB when we beat Miami Jackson for the GMAC in 1974.

Advertisement
Was this the game that Antonio Bryant scored late? I was at that one and one of the few and proud white boys there :)
My dad taught math for 30 years at Jackson.

I think I remember Jackson being traditionally pretty bad at football but with a very good band and drill team. Go Generals!
Traditionally, Jackson was an also-ran. But Joe Redmond, who was a successful coach at Dillard, had a legit team that year.

Northwestern had beaten Plantation's strongest team ever (Ryan Schneider, Kevin Beard, O'Neal Sandiford) in the QFs and it set up a rematch against the team that played them toughest in the regular season, Jackson.

The hype for this game was unthinkable in retrospect. It's a little counterintuitive, but social media hasn't managed to create a game this big, to my mind.

For 58 minutes, they stunned everyone and outplayed NW. Then, the ending happened.

In 1966, Al Bundy scored four touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versus Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds against his old nemesis, Bubba "Spare Tire" Dixon.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Traditionally, Jackson was an also-ran. But Joe Redmond, who was a successful coach at Dillard, had a legit team that year.

Northwestern had beaten Plantation's strongest team ever (Ryan Schneider, Kevin Beard, O'Neal Sandiford) in the QFs and it set up a rematch against the team that played them toughest in the regular season, Jackson.

The hype for this game was unthinkable in retrospect. It's a little counterintuitive, but social media hasn't managed to create a game this big, to my mind.

For 58 minutes, they stunned everyone and outplayed NW. Then, the ending happened.

Ryan Schneider was the truth back then.

Was this the game that Antonio Bryant scored late? I was at that one and one of the few and proud white boys there :)
My dad taught math for 30 years at Jackson.

I think I remember Jackson being traditionally pretty bad at football but with a very good band and drill team. Go Generals!
This is the truth.

What essentially messed em up worst was when Booker T Washington reopened...that essentially dried up whatever talent they had to grab...Miami Jackson ever since has basically been a feeder program for other schools, with maybe a solid szn ever few years.

Advertisement
Back