The Golden Project

Advertisement
Don't forget Brad Kaaya who had no stars and only other offer was San Diego State when he committed. Also Rashawn Scott.

Some of those players I wouldn't classify as projects. A guy like Isadora got a lot of praise. Dewey was an elite 11 qb. Ivery actually had an offer from Charlie Strong.

Advertisement
Also how can you fault the staff for a kid having career ending injury Josh Witt & Preston Dewey. Football is a violent sport and there is no way in the world to project in "recruiting evaluations" if a kid will be injured.

You can't blame them for Jawand Blue who was charged with rape. So the coaches are supposed to hold these kids d!cks too.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Yeah, but now he has a scholarship and gets quality PT. To me that qualifies as a project.
Still, he overachieved, he was never recruited and wasn't expected to be a legitimate contributor to the team, now he's getting considerable PT like you said, you can't even include him in the discussion?

He is playing, but no one understands why. He isn't very good. The point is that Golden gave him a scholarship, and therefore made him a project. He isn't very good and hasn't made any significant plays this year, therefore the fact that he is still playing is yet another knock on the staff for continuing to go forward with this project that really isn't working.

Advertisement

Yeah, but now he has a scholarship and gets quality PT. To me that qualifies as a project.
Still, he overachieved, he was never recruited and wasn't expected to be a legitimate contributor to the team, now he's getting considerable PT like you said, you can't even include him in the discussion?

He is playing, but no one understands why. He isn't very good. The point is that Golden gave him a scholarship, and therefore made him a project. He isn't very good and hasn't made any significant plays this year, therefore the fact that he is still playing is yet another knock on the staff for continuing to go forward with this project that really isn't working.

Don't u have any projects to work on other than bashing one of our starters? He may not be very good but he is good enough to start on the current team. He is not a project because he earned his scholarship as a walk-on. We had nothing to lose with him. He is not starting because he is some project.

6th on the team in tackles, 2 TFL's...but no significant plays? Project that isn't working? Considering that he started as a walk-on with zero expectations, I'd argue that he is the definition of a "project that IS working". You should take a logic class at UM. You need to find some.

What I take from this is we are pretty effective at pushing out the projects who don't work out. Even with sanctions we aren't ever at our max scholarship number, so taking on projects doesn't hurt us, especially when we free up the roster space later.

The counterargument is that we are taking the wrong projects and not taking a chance on some S. Florida guys who don't have ideal measurables but can really play. What that list doesn't differentiate, though, is which of those guys had actual athletic talent but couldn't keep it together and those who just never had the ability. IMO, the latter reflects much more poorly on our staff than good talent evaluations of guys with character problems. Every program deals with that issue.

All in all I think our roster management is pretty good given our recruiting limitations (not closing on top guys), and the mix continues to improve. I am very interested in the 2014 and 2015 classes. Will it be more of the same or will our reaches develop more consistently?

Advertisement
Good news is, when Golden takes a project he is not afraid to cut the dead weight and move on. There is something to be said about that..... Its not like he keeps them around. He opens that spot back up for another! lol

For what it's worth, Nantambu Fentress is far and away the nicest guy on the team.

Gayot's bodyslam cost him considerable playing time this year. Fentress knows better.

images

It's hard to know if Golden is a better talent evaluator than Shannon or Coker. Probably not, I just think he does a much better job of development. Golden is a great coach up until they play the game.

Advertisement
Let's take a look at the 'project" takes from Golden and see how they've panned out. Point being is the ones that should never even be at Miami in the first place are the ones that are killing our depth. We have been fortunate that we haven't lost too many impact players to dismissal/transfer/etc. Because Al just can't get enough quality kids to say yes he has a track record to just taking kids to take kids and when they don't pan out we "have depth issues" and "we are still young" being forced to play kids that aren't ready. Yes, Al has landed some good players but only about 60% of the classes are with players with caliber of Miami. Another reason the man is in way over his head. For those blaming it on "the cloud", please look at this 2015 class which feels a lot like the 2012 in the making.

Ricardo Williams - off team

Jawand Blue - off team
Jacoby Briscoe - off team
Jontavious Carter - off team
Gray Crow - position change/JAG
Vernon Davis - off team
Preston Dewey - off team
Danny Dillard - off team
Nate Dortch - off team
Dwayne Hoilett - off team
Larry Hope off team
Danny Isidora - starter
Dequan Ivery - off team or JAG???
D'Mauri Jones - JAG
Jake O'Donnell - JAG
Josh Witt - off team

Ufomba Kamula - plays/JAG
Hunter Knighton - severe illness
Ray Lewis III - transferring per rumors
Sunny Odogwu - JAG
Walter Tucker - starter

You slurpers are missing the point, why're we still going after project players after the fact? Example last year Brown, why did we take him again? He missed some too example wells

Isadora had a Wisconsin offer as a nil. That alone puts you as a 4star-5star ok recruit. Add to it he was ready to play from day one.

A lot of his projects don't work out or are guys that got offers based on coming to his vamp. Those guys get overvalued at times because the talent level at his camp may not be a1. And you end up with the Ryan Mayes, Nate dortch and others that look good got early offers committed and then.../ flame out

It's hard to know if Golden is a better talent evaluator than Shannon or Coker. Probably not, I just think he does a much better job of development. Golden is a great coach up until they play the game.

Then what are you basing the development on if the players don't play well in the game? That's stupid

I think the NCAA mess had a lot to do with the 2012 class. It was always going to be a huge class, and I think we took a lot of camp reaches and early commits.

2013 and 2014 were more selective classes.

Advertisement
Back