The Golden Age of Hip-Hop

I never understood why people confuse sales as something that determines the validity of the topic. To say sales is what makes OutKast the top group ever just undermines the dudes who pioneered all this ****. That's like saying vanilla ice is an all time great. If you question why I say that I'll just say we own his discography. Feel free to look up what Robert can Winkle does to this day all throughout europe. OutKast capitalized on the timing of society's acceptance of the culture. If not for the dudes that put that work in before them than no one sees the results they were able to. Talent is what makes any artist stand out. That doesn't take anything away from OutKast,cause those boys definitely in that conversation for one of the top groups ever. But to say geto boys,gangstarr,beastie boys,Mobb deep, fabulous five, treacherous 3,sugar hill gang,afrika bambata, WU TANG(clearly best ever group as a whole but the way and I'm saying group albums as well not just individuals. Individuals form that group) honestly I can throw on atleast ten more groups in that conversation. ugk,tribe,roots etc. It's obviously a conversation with no winners other than Wu. This isn't a bias. This is a life long music groupie who after my football career ended turned the music industry into my profession and I do well in it. That's the great thing about opinions. We all allowed to have one. Long as no one says 2 live crew or some **** I'll behave.

I have no problem with anyone who says Outkast or Wu-Tang are the best groups. It’s preference at the end. Usually, NY heads lean WU and South people lean OutKast. For me, it’s Bone. Classic albums with countless hits. Plus, they were original and changed the game.

Advertisement
Did you really just say FAB & even em(who u can argue em atleast from some angle regardless of his music just being a gimmick)when u said top 5 ever? Brother I'm gonna start a thread tommorow to bring y'all on a History lesson. We gonna go through the culture as a whole. Let's see if people can keep the guidelines relevant. I'll start this up tomorrow and if people stay on track and if @DMoney would like to do it I'll set up two different pod casts with nothing but legends on them. One a hip hop culture symposium & the other a canes legend bi weekly. I can provide all the guests and trust y'all will wanna hear anything said on either topic. I'll help a positive movement if we can keep this 100% positive. Anotherwords we can debate plenty. Debate is healthy. But everyone needs to keep it 100% positive and clean. No negative vibes. Y'all let me know what y'all wanna do
What's wrong with Fab? He falls just outside my top 5 of all-time, he did commercial jams and also kept it street with his freestyles.

Here was my Top 10 I posted last year. It's always a bit in flux, but I stand by my list.

Wait, who was talking about sales? I know I certainly wasn't (not that Wu Tang's first three albums and first wave of solo albums didn't sell well). Sales as you say, are irrelevant to the conversation.

I'm a Wu fanatic. First show I ever went to was Meth. My favorite rapper is Inspectah Deck. I've probably watched the Hulu show 3 times now. But if we're going group album for group album, in terms of quality, Outkast got it man. I'd give Wu 36 Chambers, which imo might be the best rap album ever made, over Southernplaysitic. Wu Tang Forever over ATliens. But Aquemni washes The W (actually an underrated Wu album). Stankonia blows Iron Flag out the stratosphere. I'm not really sure it's fair to even count the Wu albums after that point, although I'm dying to hear the Once Upon in Shaolin joint they pressed one copy for the Pharma bro. You could make the argument that Outkast has never put out a bad album. Pains me to say, but you cannot say that about the Wu, but I think you have to grade them as a collective. Tical, Liquid Swords, IronMan, Cuban Links, Return -- I challenge anyone to name a superior collection of work from a single collective in that short period of time.
My bad. I thought when u stated the first 4 OutKast albums u mentioned charts. I sortve just skim through most posts. My bad on that brother. But back to simply album for album and what's relevant to the culture I strongly disagree on the outlast discography. For me I'm always gonna be like edub and parish Smith. I HATE WHEN MONSTERS CROSSOVER. outcast first two albums they were done for their roots. They were all about them relaying their upbringing and their mindsets. Once they ran out of **** to say on those topics they crossed over and started making all the music their a & r would push on them. At the end of the day it is a business and you gotta appease ur label one way or the other. I don't knock they were selling like mad and topping all the charts. Problem for me is that's what their music became. Nothing gritty or true to them at that point. It was just business. Wu never forgot their roots. That's not to say they wouldn't make something on am album that was classically produced to appease radio programmers. But not anywhere close to a large percentage either. Dre and big boi literally said the reason they fell apart and backed away in large is cause they didn't feel they were being true to who they are. Again I don't take nothing away from any of those boys I mentioned and plenty of others. But for me ur giving them way too much credit after the first two maybe 3 albums.

I have no problem with anyone who says Outkast or Wu-Tang are the best groups. It’s preference at the end. Usually, NY heads lean WU and South people lean OutKast. For me, it’s Bone. Classic albums with countless hits. Plus, they were original and changed the game.
Bone can be in that discussion,nwa and sonon and so on. Like I said for me it's not about a bias. It's about the culture and staying true to your music and yourself.

What's wrong with Fab? He falls just outside my top 5 of all-time, he did commercial jams and also kept it street with his freestyles.

Here was my Top 10 I posted last year. It's always a bit in flux, but I stand by my list.

Ur a young dude huh? Just curious. Just notice you mention none of the people who founded this ****. To say a top 5 and not mention rakim,biggie,pac and I won't even say more cause for me that's where it starts to get hazy. Honestly after biggie at 2 it starts to get hazy. Can't even really say in order who's who. Just these are the greatest ever. But it's Kool we all entitled to our own opinions brother. Now homework assignment for the week is study up on old school hip hop. I think I can change ur top 5 in atleast 2 if not 3 of them within a week of we really got at it.

Advertisement
Ur a young dude huh? Just curious. Just notice you mention none of the people who founded this ****. To say a top 5 and not mention rakim,biggie,pac and I won't even say more cause for me that's where it starts to get hazy. Honestly after biggie at 2 it starts to get hazy. Can't even really say in order who's who. Just these are the greatest ever. But it's Kool we all entitled to our own opinions brother. Now homework assignment for the week is study up on old school hip hop. I think I can change ur top 5 in atleast 2 if not 3 of them within a week of we really got at it.
Not sure if you saw my list or someone else’s. I clearly have 2Pac, Biggie, Big L, and Rakim in my top 5.

Nah. It's my fault I just glance over what people right usually. The one I was responding to or meant to respond to was caneofny. His said big l,pun,Nas,fab & em. Fab ain't nowhere near my top 10. Em is outside of my 5 & much as it hurts my soul I gotta be impartial and say pun would be JUST outside of my 5, big l would be top 15 but definitely not 5. So since now were speaking who's ur 5? U said biggie,rakim and pac. Who's the other 2 I'd say Nas is my only other not debatable top 5. That 5 spot has alot of smoke on it. For me without putting alot of thought into it I'd say the group for 5 is ladies love cool James, Kool g rap,krs one, Bigg daddy cane,pun,guru & in a twisted sort of way Andre or edub. But there's so many more I'm just not giving the time or thought they deserve. Gotta throw ghost face into that also.

Last edited:
Nah. It's my fault I just glance over what people right usually. The one I was responding to or meant to respond to was caneofny. His said big l,pun,Nas,fab & em. Fab ain't nowhere near my top 10. Em is outside of my 5 & much as it hurts my soul I gotta be impartial and say pun would be JUST outside of my 5, big l would be top 15 but definitely not 5. So since now were speaking who's ur 5? U said biggie,rakim and pac. Who's the other 2 I'd say Nas is my only other not debatable top 5. That 5 spot has alot of smoke on it.
My 5 is: 2Pac, Biggie, Jadakiss, Big L, Rakim.

Advertisement
My 5 is: 2Pac, Biggie, Jadakiss, Big L, Rakim.
Kiss is definitely one of my top 10. He's in that conversation also. Those boys been my people for a minute. My own bias most of the time makes me put styles in front of Jason. I've got some funny stories with those boys. After I retired from football I was on tour with them doing a run off of the east coast. More about radio plugs than anything else. But we were in Charlotte for July 4th. We didn't wanna get off of our tour busses so we stopped at South of the border earlier that day than went to a local Hilton to sleep at night. Long and the short of it we decided to fire off all of our fireworks in the Hilton's parking lot. Needless to say we had alot of big ****. Cops came thinking it was a gunfight ( probably cause u know the south for a long time has been so biased against the urban community in general let alone from up top) they made us all get off the busses at gun point and laid us down in the parking lot. Searched both busses. Styles crazy *** didn't tell us but he had 7 pounds in the undercarriage of the other bus & between everyone there was 6 unregistered guns on both busses. Long and the short we got lucky cause when **** calmed down and they realized who we all were separately between me and them the cops were both big football fans and the other one was a black cop with two teenage boys. We had to do a concert in that ****** parking lot for their kids and wife's and one of the cops had a kid that he thought was gonna be a **** of a football player. Don't know if he ever was or not but I gave him a quick few tips. Funny times

Kiss is definitely one of my top 10. He's in that conversation also. Those boys been my people for a minute. My own bias most of the time makes me put styles in front of Jason. I've got some funny stories with those boys. After I retired from football I was on tour with them doing a run off of the east coast. More about radio plugs than anything else. But we were in Charlotte for July 4th. We didn't wanna get off of our tour busses so we stopped at South of the border earlier that day than went to a local Hilton to sleep at night. Long and the short of it we decided to fire off all of our fireworks in the Hilton's parking lot. Needless to say we had alot of big ****. Cops came thinking it was a gunfight ( probably cause u know the south for a long time has been so biased against the urban community in general let alone from up top) they made us all get off the busses at gun point and laid us down in the parking lot. Searched both busses. Styles crazy *** didn't tell us but he had 7 pounds in the undercarriage of the other bus & between everyone there was 6 unregistered guns on both busses. Long and the short we got lucky cause when **** calmed down and they realized who we all were separately between me and them the cops were both big football fans and the other one was a black cop with two teenage boys. We had to do a concert in that ****** parking lot for their kids and wife's and one of the cops had a kid that he thought was gonna be a **** of a football player. Don't know if he ever was or not but I gave him a quick few tips. Funny times
Awesome story. Styles P was on my top 10 list as #10. I love his in-and-out songs with Jadakiss. Few rappers even attempt that style but it harkens back to Run DMC and the 80’s which I’m nostalgic about. I was big into Miami Bass and it doesn’t get the credit it deserves, IMO. To this day, those 808 beats will get any party started.

People can’t differentiate difference between personal Top 5’s and Top 5’s in body of work.

Overall, in body of work, Em, Pac, Jay (Im not even a Jay fan) and Big (this spot is probably up for debate) are on the Mount Rushmore of Hip Hop. Dre is the greatest producer.

My personal favorites change all the time but Em, DMX, Pac and Hopsin are consistently among my personal favorites. Joyner drops another sick album and he may join those guys.

I grew up in the 90’s and always enjoyed Hip Hop but DMX made me fall in love with it. Then I listened to Marshal Mathers LP and it was a wrap, I became a Stan. The 90’s up until the mid 00’s was a special time. I know I sound “old” when I say this but I can’t stand the **** I hear today. Trash.

Advertisement
My bad. I thought when u stated the first 4 OutKast albums u mentioned charts. I sortve just skim through most posts. My bad on that brother. But back to simply album for album and what's relevant to the culture I strongly disagree on the outlast discography. For me I'm always gonna be like edub and parish Smith. I HATE WHEN MONSTERS CROSSOVER. outcast first two albums they were done for their roots. They were all about them relaying their upbringing and their mindsets. Once they ran out of **** to say on those topics they crossed over and started making all the music their a & r would push on them. At the end of the day it is a business and you gotta appease ur label one way or the other. I don't knock they were selling like mad and topping all the charts. Problem for me is that's what their music became. Nothing gritty or true to them at that point. It was just business. Wu never forgot their roots. That's not to say they wouldn't make something on am album that was classically produced to appease radio programmers. But not anywhere close to a large percentage either. Dre and big boi literally said the reason they fell apart and backed away in large is cause they didn't feel they were being true to who they are. Again I don't take nothing away from any of those boys I mentioned and plenty of others. But for me ur giving them way too much credit after the first two maybe 3 albums.
I think my top 10 groups would be --

1. Outkast
2. Wu Tang
3. Tribe
4. EPMD
5. Mobb Deep
6. Beastie Boys (I'm a fan, sue me. Not one wack album in their catalog.)
7. Public Enemy
8. M.O.P.
9. Three Six Mafia
10. Run DMC

I wouldn't put guys like Gang Starr or Eric B. and Rakim in the group category even though I guess they technically are. This **** is all subjective tho. If someone said they thought Geto Boys was top 10, I wouldn't argue.

(OT, but anyone who's a fan of hip hop should be watching Dave on FX/Hulu. Don't sleep on it. Trust me. Don't let cornball culture vulture dude scare you away. It's legit. )

1. Outkast
2. Wu Tang
3. Tribe
4. EPMD
5. Mobb Deep
7. Public Enemy
8. M.O.P.
9. Three Six Mafia
10. Run DMC

I wouldn't put guys like Gang Starr or Eric B. and Rakim in the group category even though I guess they technically are. This **** is all subjective tho. If someone said they thought Geto Boys was top 10, I wouldn't argue.

(OT, but anyone who's a fan of hip hop should be watching Dave on FX/Hulu. Don't sleep on it. Trust me. Don't let cornball culture vulture dude scare you away. It's legit. )
I'm all in on ****y. Boys a beast. I been watching that. Kevin produces it. Got some big names involved in that from ground up. Far as beastie boys they're #2 for me. So maybe that tells u alot. Those 3 lil ****** dudes are pioneers though. Can't take nothing away from any of them. Far ahead of their time. I won't argue any of those but I think it's crazy u put run dmc at #10 for groups especially considering some of the ones u put ahead of them.

Advertisement
People can’t differentiate difference between personal Top 5’s and Top 5’s in body of work.

Overall, in body of work, Em, Pac, Jay (Im not even a Jay fan) and Big (this spot is probably up for debate) are on the Mount Rushmore of Hip Hop. Dre is the greatest producer.

My personal favorites change all the time but Em, DMX, Pac and Hopsin are consistently among my personal favorites. Joyner drops another sick album and he may join those guys.

I grew up in the 90’s and always enjoyed Hip Hop but DMX made me fall in love with it. Then I listened to Marshal Mathers LP and it was a wrap, I became a Stan. The 90’s up until the mid 00’s was a special time. I know I sound “old” when I say this but I can’t stand the **** I hear today. Trash.
I get why people feel the way they do about Dre. I ain't gonna argue it either. But I always get vexxed when I see people say it like it's a given. That is a insult to some monsters. Especially when u consider rza... Earl, pun, Jay & Nas made the 90s a beautiful thing for me.

1. Outkast
2. Wu Tang
3. Tribe
4. EPMD
5. Mobb Deep
7. Public Enemy
8. M.O.P.
9. Three Six Mafia
10. Run DMC

Good list but N.W.A., Bone Thugs, and 2 Live Crew are somewhere in my top 10 of rap groups. I’m also a big Mantronix and World Class Wreckin’ Cru fan (which Dre and DJ Yella were part of before N.W.A.). Oh and Children of the Corn is in my top 10 of groups.

but it harkens back to Run DMC and the 80’s which I’m nostalgic about.
Run DMC.jpg

First rap tape I ever owned.

Advertisement
Back