The Golden Age of Hip-Hop

Advertisement
Advertisement
Love Techa Nina man. Remember when he came up to Venice Beach and got a crowd around him and just killed a free style off thumbing on his chest and his snapping his fingers, str8 prison cypher style. Ppl been slept on Tech9. It wasn’t til his interlude on Carter IV where ppl was like ‘who’s this dude?’
Never sold out either; always kept it independent. He & 40 r two dudes that don’t the just due they deserve.

I am huge Tech 9 fan. Went to a show of his in Broward nearly 10 years ago. Fun show. Crowd was a little odd but that’s his thing. I ***** with Hopsin a lot too. Hop is one of my favorites of all time.

Are you joking with your response? Don’t try and act like what drake has done is something to scoff at

I don’t **** with Drake. He’s a pop artist to me more than a rapper. My wife’s friends love his music hard though. Is he a “star?” Sure. Can’t deny that. But not to be in any GOAT conversations. ESPECIALLY when he has ghostwriters.

Advertisement
I don’t **** with Drake. He’s a pop artist to me more than a rapper. My wife’s friends love his music hard though. Is he a “star?” Sure. Can’t deny that. But not to be in any GOAT conversations. ESPECIALLY when he has ghostwriters.
Drake discography is too immense with variety to be just labeled as a pop star. He’s more of a rapper and r&b artist than that. A lot of artist have ghostwriters

Drake discography is too immense with variety to be just labeled as a pop star. He’s more of a rapper and r&b artist than that. A lot of artist have ghostwriters

Smh. A true rapper doesn’t have ghostwriters. That’s some cornball ****. Drake is no R&B singer. Stop that.

The Wu Tang collective is the best ever assembled. Ghostface, Meth, Gza, and ODB debut albums among the best ever pressed. Purple Tape arguably a Top 10 rap album of all time. But if we talking group albums, you gotta give it to Outkast just in terms of consistency. 4 Straight All Timers, beginning with their debut and ending with Stankonia. Love Below, while not a classic and commercial af, was was still a solid album as well.
I never understood why people confuse sales as something that determines the validity of the topic. To say sales is what makes OutKast the top group ever just undermines the dudes who pioneered all this ****. That's like saying vanilla ice is an all time great. If you question why I say that I'll just say we own his discography. Feel free to look up what Robert can Winkle does to this day all throughout europe. OutKast capitalized on the timing of society's acceptance of the culture. If not for the dudes that put that work in before them than no one sees the results they were able to. Talent is what makes any artist stand out. That doesn't take anything away from OutKast,cause those boys definitely in that conversation for one of the top groups ever. But to say geto boys,gangstarr,beastie boys,Mobb deep, fabulous five, treacherous 3,sugar hill gang,afrika bambata, WU TANG(clearly best ever group as a whole but the way and I'm saying group albums as well not just individuals. Individuals form that group) honestly I can throw on atleast ten more groups in that conversation. ugk,tribe,roots etc. It's obviously a conversation with no winners other than Wu. This isn't a bias. This is a life long music groupie who after my football career ended turned the music industry into my profession and I do well in it. That's the great thing about opinions. We all allowed to have one. Long as no one says 2 live crew or some **** I'll behave.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Comparing Drake to any of the all-time Hip-Hop greats is like comparing Justin Bieber to Michael Jackson. There's no comparison. Drake ain't it. Doesn't even sniff top 10 in my book.

While alot of artists definitely have ghost writers it's for a small number. I know this circle well. Atleast 90% of Drake's catalogue was wrote for him by 4 different dudes. Able (weekend) has been one of my people for a minute now. Him and Drake fell out over two songs he wrote for Drake that went multi platinum. You hear some wild stories in this industry.

While alot of artists definitely have ghost writers it's for a small number. I know this circle well. Atleast 90% of Drake's catalogue was wrote for him by 4 different dudes. Able (weekend) has been one of my people for a minute now. Him and Drake fell out over two songs he wrote for Drake that went multi platinum. You hear some wild stories in this industry.
They back on good terms now

Advertisement
They back on good terms now
I'm well aware of that. I'm simply saying what happened at the time. It's the same thing as saying Drake and Trey have gone back and forth between friends and foes etc. But that's a lil different situation cause they stay falling out cause one of them either bit the others **** too hard or didn't get rid of the dingle berrys well enough. Not elaborating on any of that cause none of y'all would even believe how big the percentage is of boogers in the music industry and I'm not trying to put this **** out there regardless. Lol.
Also I'm not doing this sidetracking thing to this thread. I've said how much I like this thread and it lets me see even some of y'all I'd like to see thrown in front of a train if they atleast got good taste in music. Its a negative vibes free thread. Let's keep it that way.

Are you joking with your response? Don’t try and act like what drake has done is something to scoff at
L was amazing. after BIG I have a group of like 5 that I have a hard time ranking. L, Pun, NAS, Fab and Em. We were robbed of years of the 3 Bigs...
Did you really just say FAB & even em(who u can argue em atleast from some angle regardless of his music just being a gimmick)when u said top 5 ever? Brother I'm gonna start a thread tommorow to bring y'all on a History lesson. We gonna go through the culture as a whole. Let's see if people can keep the guidelines relevant. I'll start this up tomorrow and if people stay on track and if @DMoney would like to do it I'll set up two different pod casts with nothing but legends on them. One a hip hop culture symposium & the other a canes legend bi weekly. I can provide all the guests and trust y'all will wanna hear anything said on either topic. I'll help a positive movement if we can keep this 100% positive. Anotherwords we can debate plenty. Debate is healthy. But everyone needs to keep it 100% positive and clean. No negative vibes. Y'all let me know what y'all wanna do

I never understood why people confuse sales as something that determines the validity of the topic. To say sales is what makes OutKast the top group ever just undermines the dudes who pioneered all this ****. That's like saying vanilla ice is an all time great. If you question why I say that I'll just say we own his discography. Feel free to look up what Robert can Winkle does to this day all throughout europe. OutKast capitalized on the timing of society's acceptance of the culture. If not for the dudes that put that work in before them than no one sees the results they were able to. Talent is what makes any artist stand out. That doesn't take anything away from OutKast,cause those boys definitely in that conversation for one of the top groups ever. But to say geto boys,gangstarr,beastie boys,Mobb deep, fabulous five, treacherous 3,sugar hill gang,afrika bambata, WU TANG(clearly best ever group as a whole but the way and I'm saying group albums as well not just individuals. Individuals form that group) honestly I can throw on atleast ten more groups in that conversation. ugk,tribe,roots etc. It's obviously a conversation with no winners other than Wu. This isn't a bias. This is a life long music groupie who after my football career ended turned the music industry into my profession and I do well in it. That's the great thing about opinions. We all allowed to have one. Long as no one says 2 live crew or some **** I'll behave.
Wait, who was talking about sales? I know I certainly wasn't (not that Wu Tang's first three albums and first wave of solo albums didn't sell well). Sales as you say, are irrelevant to the conversation.

I'm a Wu fanatic. First show I ever went to was Meth. My favorite rapper is Inspectah Deck. I've probably watched the Hulu show 3 times now. But if we're going group album for group album, in terms of quality, Outkast got it man. I'd give Wu 36 Chambers, which imo might be the best rap album ever made, over Southernplaysitic. Wu Tang Forever over ATliens. But Aquemni washes The W (actually an underrated Wu album). Stankonia blows Iron Flag out the stratosphere. I'm not really sure it's fair to even count the Wu albums after that point, although I'm dying to hear the Once Upon in Shaolin joint they pressed one copy for the Pharma bro. You could make the argument that Outkast has never put out a bad album. Pains me to say, but you cannot say that about the Wu, but I think you have to grade them as a collective. Tical, Liquid Swords, IronMan, Cuban Links, Return -- I challenge anyone to name a superior collection of work from a single collective in that short period of time.

Advertisement
Back