The Gattis experiment

Oh boy. This is going to be very emotional and painful for many o' porster.
Not sure what this means but okay. I’m not emotional or in any kind of pain over this team. During the games, yes but not the next day. I’m not on the team, I’m just a fan.. however, I call a spade a spade.

Advertisement
Interesting.

Because before Enos got to Maryland...that Locksley offense was 114th and 112th in the two years prior.

Care to explain?

when he first took over a ****** program and didnt get taulia until what 2020 or 2021? he relied on josh. Jackson as his QB. enos wasn't the play caller at Bama but he was the QB coach there. locksley was the play caller.

when he first took over a ****** program and didnt get taulia until what 2020 or 2021? he relied on josh. Jackson as his QB. enos wasn't the play caller at Bama but he was the QB coach there. locksley was the play caller.
He was 112th with Taulia as his QB with Scottie Montgomery as his OC.

Oh, and Enos is his playcaller...

Locksley was calling plays when Montgomery was there. But was so bad...needed to bring in Enos. And now they have a top tier offense.

"Speaking of continuity, Tagovailoa has his play caller in Enos back for a second consecutive season. When Tagovailoa first came to Maryland in 2020, he had to learn a completely new system in Locksley’s offense and was dealing with the difficulties of a COVID-restricted season. In 2021, Locksley remained, but Enos came on board and it was another adjustment for the Hawaiian native. Now, entering his third season, Tagovailoa has both Locksley and Enos by his side once again as he develops and navigates another tough Big Ten schedule."

I don't want to use you as an example, but this is the kind of galaxy brain nonsense I'm talking about. All of these coaches have a ton of success elsewhere, but they come here and stink, and its THEM that stinks...nah, b...its the players. If you don't think so, idk what to tell you. Seems obvious to me.

Let me refer you here:

Post in thread 'The Gattis experiment' https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/the-gattis-experiment.180645/post-6156291

Big Manny Frostoballess' philosophy isn't dumb on this and he has repeatedly communicated in his various pressers he isn't abadoning what he feels works and what got him here.

Put it another way (to an EXTREME DEGREE): US military doesn't change training and tactics because of the recruits we get/have. You will broken, you will learn, you will succeed or ypu will not be here and we will move on to the next.

Big Manny's philosophy is "system first" not "player first". JJ, Saban, Meyer, et al think exactly the same way. Yes they tweak, but only after the base system is established.

Big Manny KNOWS he has the time, because he isn't getting fired for at least 4-5 years, to install what works.

We all need to settle in for the long painful ride rhis is going to be.
This isn‘t the US military this is college football. Your job as a coach is to take your playbook / offense and meld it to fit your CURRENT ROSTER and what they do well. If not it’s flat out coaching malpractice. When you get your players you can start implementing your longterm plan and style of play. It all goes hand in hand with the S&C.

Urban Meyer showed up to UF with a nice young roster but no qb to run his offense. But he did have a very good pure passer in Chris Leak. Did he try to run his power spread with Leak? Nope, he took the offense and tweaked it to fit an accurate drop back passer, a more pro spread route. He rode that style of offense to a national title in year two. In that second year he could get his power spread fix with Tebow a handful of times a game but he never forced it in year one. He didn’t have the player.

This current OL ( if healthy) is an above average pass blocking group but it’s more finesse. It’s not a mauling OL that’ll consistently move people in short yardage yet we continue to beat our head into the wall. Leaving points on the field to the point it’s comical. Maybe spread the defense out then run it, maybe PA out of that formation and roll your qb out on a waggle to get natural picks? **** the Rpo is an option. Yet we just run up the middle to prove a point. That’s not good coaching , it’s actually the opposite . Your pride and mentality is more important than points or wins

but props to the d, they held up even after that. we had a chance. the timeout we blew hurt us bc we lost close to a min as a result at the end of the game or didnt have one to save at the end.

I thought the rooster fumble and mallory drop were huge. both on the players

All of this. That Mallory drop was brutal as well. Wasn’t perfect pass, but you gotta catch that. He had his best game all year regardless.

That throw to Skinner on the final drive created too much of a panic after he didn’t get out of bounds. That was game.

D did their job to get the 3 and out

Advertisement
This isn‘t the US military this is college football. Your job as a coach is to take your playbook / offense and meld it to fit your CURRENT ROSTER and what they do well. If not it’s flat out coaching malpractice. When you get your players you can start implementing your longterm plan and style of play. It all goes hand in hand with the S&C.

Urban Meyer showed up to UF with a nice young roster but no qb to run his offense. But he did have a very good pure passer in Chris Leak. Did he try to run his power spread with Leak? Nope, he took the offense and tweaked it to fit an accurate drop back passer, a more pro spread route. He rode that style of offense to a national title in year two. In that second year he could get his power spread fix with Tebow a handful of times a game but he never forced it in year one. He didn’t have the player.

This current OL ( if healthy) is an above average pass blocking group but it’s more finesse. It’s not a mauling OL that’ll consistently move people in short yardage yet we continue to beat our head into the wall. Leaving points on the field to the point it’s comical. Maybe spread the defense out then run it, maybe PA out of that formation and roll your qb out on a waggle to get natural picks? **** the Rpo is an option. Yet we just run up the middle to prove a point. That’s not good coaching , it’s actually the opposite . Your pride and mentality is more important than points or wins
I truly believe the Big Manny's leadership philosophy is one in the same. So is Saban's. So is Toyota, where Saban has spent a HUGE amount of time learning the "Toyota Way".

Our fanbase is expecting/demanding something Big Manny doesn't believe in by and large.

Big Manny wasn't hired to "work with what you got". He was clearly hired and given the space to "fix this place as you see fit".

And he KNOWS he has time on HIS side.

Last edited:
I truly believe the Big Manny's leadership philosophy is one in the same. So is Saban's. So is Toyota, where Saban has spent a HUGE amount of time learning the "Toyota Way".

Our fanbase is expecting/demanding something Big Manny doesn't believe in by and large.

Big Manny wasn't hired to "work with what you got". He was clearly hired and given the space to "fix this place as you see fit".

And he KNOWS he has time on HIS side.
I saw some things yesterday that makes me believe it at least hope he’s open to some change. The great coaches are always changing or tweaking.

Should be over at the end of the year. The fact that he can't scheme up something at first and goal is beyond belief. The other problem I had was on the last drive why were we throwing in the middle of the field. Use both sidelines or have TVD throw it out of bounds.

One last thing and this has to do with rules. So we had 56 seconds left and a UNC player fell down hurt. All of a sudden the ref says we have to run off 10 seconds. I was going bananas because why are we getting penalized for their player going down. Terrible rule. I mean a team could just basically do that every play until all the time goes off the clock at the end of games. 🤷‍♂️
You shouldn't need to scheme anything up on 1st and Goal from the 2....

Advertisement
Running right up the middle whike the d is selling out with nunbers? Are you serious ? That’s idiotic especially knowing we don’t have a physical Ol. This isn‘t Madden.
You have 4 chances to run up the middle to gain 2 yards. Really it was 3 chances to gain just 1 yard, if you can't do that against a mediocre ACC defense then you have problems up front. Josh Gattis has been terrible in the RedZone this season but in this situation I think it's more on the players then it was in him. I was more upset with us not taking the 3 points then the play calling

I saw some things yesterday that makes me believe it at least hope he’s open to some change. The great coaches are always changing or tweaking.
100% agree he will tweak. Any great leader does.

But for our fellow porsters demanding a wholesale change from power run....

speak with your spiritual advisor and prepare for emotionally crushing disappointment.

Running right up the middle whike the d is selling out with nunbers? Are you serious ? That’s idiotic especially knowing we don’t have a physical Ol. This isn‘t Madden.
But Big Manny, come **** or highwater, is going to make it be.

Or fail trying....

Advertisement

Yeah the running into 9 man fronts is dumb. Especially when we have a 6’5” beast who can win jump balls smh

Advertisement
If our OL is as bad as you say why are we running the same bs that hasn’t worked in the same area for the entire season? So that is on the coach. Just like lining up 85 in-line to run block knowing he hasn’t done it in four years . That’s dumb!!
Mario wants this OL to be something they are not

You have 4 chances to run up the middle to gain 2 yards. Really it was 3 chances to gain just 1 yard, if you can't do that against a mediocre ACC defense then you have problems up front. Josh Gattis has been terrible in the RedZone this season but in this situation I think it's more on the players then it was in him. I was more upset with us not taking the 3 points then the play calling
I wish we were that team but we aren't. You see our ol mauling dudes? I agree, should be able to get 2 yards against any marginal team, but here we are.

Advertisement
Back