The game just changed forever

Advertisement
1011AC4B-B311-4D9D-B097-0E097DCE1CD3.gif

Advertisement
Of course..a kid from south Florida whose already a little league/high school football star should have even more incentive to stay home & reap those benefits going forward into their college career.

Can’t convince me that a kid whose already a football a star from south Florida will make more money off of their likeness and image in a BS college town.
teams should not be able to cherry pick out of region talent anymore. Tee is right thst now teams will have to have a marketing plan with their recruiting pitch. How many kids realistically can you market around per team?

However now they just made it legal to pump money to the kids. **** just got real

Third party funding was always an option, the NCAA is just so old & draconian they never wanted to truly examine it.

The solution to paying players is just remove all the roadblocks & allow the apparel companies to compensate the players through licensing & likeness, if you don't want the school's paying them directly. Player's couldn't even profit off of having a YouTube channel with their own Highlights smh, you can't call yourself an American capitalist & be in favor of that.

If Adidas, Under Armor, Nike, Puma, Reebok etc., wants to pay athletes then let them & if they want it to keep it from getting out of control just put a cap on how much they're allowed to spend per school.

So for example, you can't have Nike spending $10million in one year with Bama. But since multiple schools have deals with multiple companies all those schools get the same amount that can be spent to pay the athletes per year. Meaning all Nike, Adidas, UA, Puma etc schools get the exact same amount.

And yes, there will still be some unfairness in the system, so what. It's not the perfect model & it never will be, but the fact remains the more they pretend the NCAA is run on amateurism the more cheating will get more rampant behind the scenes than it already is.

Either way, the money (both corporate & private) that people want to give these kids isn't going to disappear no matter what the rules are, so just bring it to the forefront & regulate it to what degree they can.

This is a GOOD thing for College Sports, IDC how much you want to argue that a degree & free room & board is sufficient, the fact is it's not. This is America got damnit, if young kids can make millions off YouTube for gaming, then players can make money of their athletic skill while in college.

I’m wondering what’s to stop a guy like Trevor Lawrence from creating Trevorlawrence.com during recruiting, where he sells t-shirts with his face wearing a Clemson colored helmet and a Bama colored one

No school names or emblem, just the colors and post “What should I do?? at $20 a pop.

Is that just profiting from his likeness?

You will have boosters buying a hundred at a time.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Nope bc that was the first thing I thought about. I really don’t see how this would benefit Miami in terms of us being able to offer something another program can’t.
That's what i was thinking. I apologize to everyone if I'm just really dumb, but doesn't this just make the "bag" game legal? So now everyone can bag it's just a matter of how much?

Advertisement
This impairs the Foundations. Miami can say to a recruit: "Go play for the KKK and no one knows who you are. Play for Miami or USC and the entire country knows who you are." This helps the U immensely. Also, if you can get Rodriguez or the Rock or other NFL players to help openly pay UM prospects, that puts us in the same league as the 'Dawgs or KKK U (i.e. Alabama).

There are only two metropolitan area teams that could become elite and we are one of them!

Our BOT will NOT pay because it could endanger our academic reputation, which took 25 years to build. Our Biotech center and Aerospace engineering programs are much more valuable than football. Now that we can pay, you can sell the BOT on using football success to attract elite students. Georgetown uses DC and basketball to sway Ivy students. Duke uses basketball.

Great win for UM!
Really good post. People always seem to forget that the better a school's football team is the more national exposure and interest that school receives. Not just athletically, but academically as well.

In example, after the 2017 season UM experienced an uptick in the number applications to the school. This bodes well as it can help actually lower the admission percentage making UM more of an "prestigious" school, which is factored into school rankings.

Advertisement
Back