The game just changed forever

The bigs already have more money flowing into their schools than we could dream of. That money shows the viability of their product and that won't change. Only now, some of it can be funneled to the athlete directly and we have people saying this is a good thing? Sorry, markets don't work the way some of you are thinking.

Advertisement
View attachment 100641
This is going to get very interesting.
It’s messed up though. If a kid is on an academic scholarship and has a side job at Starbucks to make money, I don’t see him wanting to tax their scholarships too. It’s discriminatory against a class of scholarship recipients based on how they earn money.

And I don’t buy that the scholarship enabled them to sell their likenesses as a distinction on whether or not to tax one class of students vs another. They’re targeting kids because they don’t like that their side jobs pay real money.

And yeah, I question their deep down motivations as well.

Please................

The Potamkons (sic) have been in Miami for 60+ years.

Miami has 4M people residing in Dade County alone... The potential for sponsorship money is at least 20x and maybe 40x more in Miami than in the entire state of Alabama.

South Florida is on pace to sell 204,712 cars during 2019. Alabama will not sell that in a decade. If they can get the team rolling, most small businesses will want to sponsor a player.

The cars sold in a given year in South Florida outnumber the total amount of healthy teeth currently in place in the entire state of Alabama!
Yes man and Palm Beach and Broward as well. Richard Fain could put all the players on Royal Carribean commercials.

Advertisement
It’s messed up though. If a kid is on an academic scholarship and has a side job at Starbucks to make money, I don’t see him wanting to tax their scholarships too. It’s discriminatory against a class of scholarship recipients based on how they earn money.

And I don’t buy that the scholarship enabled them to sell their likenesses as a distinction on whether or not to tax one class of students vs another. They’re targeting kids because they don’t like that their side jobs pay real money.

And yeah, I question their deep down motivations as well.
The way they can do this is to have a blanket tax law that subjects scholarships of all types across the board to taxation if the recipient earns in excess of a certain amount of money per year, regardless of how it’s earned. I think that’s awful.

That said, and I’m not trying to get political or stir up race, because I really don’t like either party and I don’t like the race card being used carte blanche, but the Republicans are supposed to be the party of lower taxes and here we have a North Carolina Republican who now is trying to raise taxes on one group within a class of people.

And the beneficiaries in that group who will be disproportionately impacted will be young black men. It’s not a good look.

And don’t get your right wing dander up on me, fûckers. The liberals crying about Trump taking out Isis killers are idiotic. So there... they all suck and I attacked them both.

Have a nice day. I’ve got a job to do so I can make tax money for these ********.

The more we fade into oblivion the more this hurts us. Sponsors dont give a **** where your school is located, all they care about is name recognition and the only names the nation and casual fans know are the players on national TV every week and playing in the biggest games.

That said I don’t see this being unregulated capitalism. I’m sure the NCAA is going to put heavy restrictions on how players can earn their money. Because if not, and say they allow players to endorse local businesses, it’s absolutely all over for Miami. No way we compete with these hick towns that worship their football teams

Miami is still a very big national TV draw, whether people are rooting for us or against us. I think this helps us.

Can't be any worse for us than it is now. The U has always been huge TV ratings and logo, maybe being a Cane like The Rock will get bigger dollar value for players. Also, players will have more to lose if caught with bag money. US, UCLA and Miami have the big markets. Most other schools are in smaller markets, even whole states are smaller. ND and PSU with huge alum base will profit too.

It just means they can funnel the bag money through legal and accepted means. Before we had a chance of things being cracked down. Now its all going to be on the up and up so no hope. Our school had to beg for over a year and get the coach to kick in a large chunk for an IPF which only cost a fraction of some of the bags schools IPF cost. The bag schools instantly had theirs paid for. Not sure what makes people think this helps Miami in the slightest. Oh great, a big market that has multiple pro teams and celebrities taking the money and a big market that doesn't give a care about the football program. I know, now our students can get a rental car discount if they do it the right way. That is going to outweigh the free cars other schools were giving before.

Advertisement
Yes man and Palm Beach and Broward as well. Richard Fain could put all the players on Royal Carribean commercials.

the question is and will always be taht the average fan doesnt know most of the UM players esp on any of the current teams. the most famous thing weve had, nationally and locally, in the past decade has been the turnover chain.

the question is and will always be taht the average fan doesnt know most of the UM players esp on any of the current teams. the most famous thing weve had, nationally and locally, in the past decade has been the turnover chain.
Good point.

It just means they can funnel the bag money through legal and accepted means. Before we had a chance of things being cracked down. Now its all going to be on the up and up so no hope. Our school had to beg for over a year and get the coach to kick in a large chunk for an IPF which only cost a fraction of some of the bags schools IPF cost. The bag schools instantly had theirs paid for. Not sure what makes people think this helps Miami in the slightest. Oh great, a big market that has multiple pro teams and celebrities taking the money and a big market that doesn't give a care about the football program. I know, now our students can get a rental car discount if they do it the right way. That is going to outweigh the free cars other schools were giving before.
Facts

Advertisement
I...R.....S

That will be the biggest fall out from this.....just wait till these dudes start getting jammed up for not reporting this income. Schools will now be forced to monitor the reporting the best they can. It has the potential to be a real mess.

I think this will also help to keep players here longer. We've heard on a few occasions that players were entering the draft because of family obligations only to go undrafted. Many that have left would have benefited staying another year to develop also. Guys like Travis Homer, Venzell Boulware, Kendrick Norton, and RJ Macintosh may have stayed if there was some money coming in. One of the things that Manny said that is true was a lot of the older guys now didn't have the role models to look up to on the team. KJ restated the fact that he came in not wanting to step on anyone's toes and it wasn't until DJ told him that Yes the WRs needed a leader did he fully understand how young this team was.

Interesting to see if they attempt to limit the amount they can make. If there are limits then bag men still have a job to do. If there's no limits then its open season.
They wont get paid to play theyll get payed for what they sell basically

Advertisement
You know its going to be very restrictive and limited to things like the university having to compensate for likeness being on tickets and posters and jersey name sales. This is going to be much to do about nothing. The king of the hill Heisman guys may earn an extra $20-25k.
This. A few will profit. A lot of details/rules have to be worked out before this will fly.

It certainly can make it easier for current bag types to legitimatize the money, especially local car dearly types. I am hoping beyond donor bagmen. We always lose that contest. As great as Bama has been it is still basically a local brand. The U and ND and to slightly lesser extent, USC are or have been more national and global. Oblivious our brand has suffered the last 15 years but it had overtaken ND at one point and even the Golden Arches on the world stage. Think about the flash fire the TOC turned into in a couple months. Our chance for recovery might be small but the upside of it is beyond any other school. It goes without saying that our administration will intentional try to ***** it up in any way possible -- they are bigger enemy than all the bag men in the country.

Advertisement
Back