The GA Tech Stadium Experience

SFbayCane

All American
If you weren't at the stadium last night then you likely don't realize just how bad attending a Miami Hurricanes game has become. The stadium experience for UM games remains to be one of the worst in all of sport.

* Last night was perhaps the most subdued night game Ive ever attended. The crowd was late coming in as usual. By mid first quarter there were more people in the stadium than I saw at the Texas A & M game, yet they made way less noise.

* Games on the ACC network are the worst sporting events to attend. Every single game stoppage is met with a 3 minute timeout break. The crowd can never generate any energy. I've posted about this previously.

* EVERY - SINGLE - TV - TIMEOUT is filled with some stupid, non-football related nonsense. It's either a game on the big screen or media wannabe person saluting some random first responder or community activist or youth league team or other. It is a constant distraction from the game. I went to the TAMU game last season and there was none of this. Every TV timeout at A & M had the entire stadium talking about down & distance, what they're seeing in the game, expected play calls, players, etc.... You know, FOOTBALL TALK. That never occurs at a UM game unless you want to scream over the planned distractions.

* The DJ. If you read nothing else, read this. The DJ completely destroyed the game last night. He was out of ******* control. What's worse is that no one in stadium management seemed to know or care. He kept getting worse and worse throughout the game.

He consistently played music while the ball was in play. Many people in our section were getting ****ed and yelling for him to turn the music off. He was regularly playing music until the play clock got below 15 seconds. Twice during the game he did not turn the music off until the ball was snapped. (once during UM's offense & once during Ga Tech's offense). I kept hoping the referee would throw a flag on the DJ, simply because the UM Athletic Department is filled with drooling idiots who know nothing about sports. If it would have happened, I guarantee you the fans would have cheered that penalty against UM.

Some folks will take offense to my next point but this needs to be said:

* INSANELY DEPRESSING CANCER VIDEO. Late first quarter they played a 90 second video that was subdued, it had loud ominous, depressing theme music playing and went on and on about people having cancer, getting their lives destroyed, etc. I watched 45K+ people all fall into absolute silence. Cheering for a football game became extremely difficult for a good ten minutes. This was completely inappropriate for a sporting event. Just pathetic.

The stadium experience is so bad that I often wonder if UM is doing it on purpose. I refuse to believe people running an athletic department can be this incompetent.

Advertisement
If you weren't at the stadium last night then you likely don't realize just how bad attending a Miami Hurricanes game has become. The stadium experience for UM games remains to be one of the worst in all of sport.

* Last night was perhaps the most subdued night game Ive ever attended. The crowd was late coming in as usual. By mid first quarter there were more people in the stadium than I saw at the Texas A & M game, yet they made way less noise.

* Games on the ACC network are the worst sporting events to attend. Every single game stoppage is met with a 3 minute timeout break. The crowd can never generate any energy. I've posted about this previously.

* EVERY - SINGLE - TV - TIMEOUT is filled with some stupid, non-football related nonsense. It's either a game on the big screen or media wannabe person saluting some random first responder or community activist or youth league team or other. It is a constant distraction from the game. I went to the TAMU game last season and there was none of this. Every TV timeout at A & M had the entire stadium talking about down & distance, what they're seeing in the game, expected play calls, players, etc.... You know, FOOTBALL TALK. That never occurs at a UM game unless you want to scream over the planned distractions.

* The DJ. If you read nothing else, read this. The DJ completely destroyed the game last night. He was out of ******* control. What's worse is that no one in stadium management seemed to know or care. He kept getting worse and worse throughout the game.

He consistently played music while the ball was in play. Many people in our section were getting ****ed and yelling for him to turn the music off. He was regularly playing music until the play clock got below 15 seconds. Twice during the game he did not turn the music off until the ball was snapped. (once during UM's offense & once during Ga Tech's offense). I kept hoping the referee would throw a flag on the DJ, simply because the UM Athletic Department is filled with drooling idiots who know nothing about sports. If it would have happened, I guarantee you the fans would have cheered that penalty against UM.

Some folks will take offense to my next point but this needs to be said:

* INSANELY DEPRESSING CANCER VIDEO. Late first quarter they played a 90 second video that was subdued, it had loud ominous, depressing theme music playing and went on and on about people having cancer, getting their lives destroyed, etc. I watched 45K+ people all fall into absolute silence. Cheering for a football game became extremely difficult for a good ten minutes. This was completely inappropriate for a sporting event. Just pathetic.

The stadium experience is so bad that I often wonder if UM is doing it on purpose. I refuse to believe people running an athletic department can be this incompetent.
Agree on cancer video. They tried to make it uplifting, fell flat.

Kudos to the resiliency of the survivors and their families who support them.

The DJ stuff was maddening and I observed the same thing you did with fans getting ****ed that they were still blaring music while the offense was on the field presnap.

This type of mismanaged **** has been going on for years, and it’s something I was hoping Dan Rad would clean up, but thus far it’s the same stupid ****.

Advertisement
The Miami Nights mini-rave while we were trailing to start the 4th quarter was also super cringe. Then, of course, on the very next play TVD threw a pick.
That’s the problem when they do these little gimmick bullsh^t is it’s all cool when you’re winning but when you’re losing it’s just stupid. Stick to football.

Positive is fans showed up. Late but we still packed the rock. I credit the lack of noise to the product on the field. Literally 3-0 at half. Snooze fest while sitting in humidity that felt like a sauna all night.

for those who attended — did they have any free t shirt giveaways at the gate to ensure a blackout? Seemed pretty half *** looking on tv

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
for those who attended — did they have any free t shirt giveaways at the gate to ensure a blackout? Seemed pretty half *** looking on tv

No, the UM cancer center gave away little pink towels. Hundreds of which could be found left on tables in the club level, lying the ground on the exit ramps, etc.

Having the cancer center sponsor an event like this was an absolute PR failure. The opposite of what was intended. Par for the course at UM, I suppose.

the DJ is awful. I’m all for home firld advantage but if I was GT I would have been ****ed - they were playing music right up until the snap.

The “games” they play are super cringe.

Yes. And again it got to the point where we (Canes season ticket holder in a pricy seat section) were hoping the referee would throw a flag on the DJ and penalize UM 15 yards. I swear that the home fans would have cheered for that penalty against UM.

Advertisement
Back