The forgotten DT Ahmad Moten

This makes zero sense. We started both Taylor and Jackson as second years. Why wouldn't we start Moten as a second year if he is good enough?
My only point was that the staff prefers to address DT through the portal. This doesn't make it impossible for a kid like Moten or Horton to see the field but Deen, Gore, Lichtenstein will likely play ahead of them unless one or both youngsters proves too good to keep off the field, which no one really expects this early in their career unless I'm missing something.

Advertisement
Molten and Horton should both be allowed to play in 2023 so they do not get upset and decide to transfer like Allen Haye. Not that I think Haye is a significant loss, but it's clear through two cycles that this staff covets mature transfer DTs.
the reason they covet them is cause the recruiting was beans

I'd be shocked if he averages more than 10 snaps a game. Still young.
He should log those numbers at minimum.
Thats how you save guys from transferring out in this new day and age and motivation. He has already taken a shirt....so let him get his feet wet a bit.
Like someone else stated thats how Haye left as well...with DTS they really need time as most of them are projects but the only way to keep them is to have them in a rotation somewhat...pretty much gone are the days thinking your dts are going to sit 2 years just grooming and playing only in blow outs...see TX AM exodus...some lower level power 5 or g5 team will offer them starting reps and too portal.

Advertisement
Thats how you save guys from transferring out in this new day and age and motivation. He has already taken a shirt....so let him get his feet wet a bit.
Like someone else stated thats how Haye left as well...with DTS they really need time as most of them are projects but the only way to keep them is to have them in a rotation somewhat...pretty much gone are the days thinking your dts are going to sit 2 years just grooming and playing only in blow outs...see TX AM exodus...some lower level power 5 or g5 team will offer them starting reps and too portal.
Agree with you. DT is a great place to rep a lot of dudes. Hopefully sometime in the near future, we'll be 3 deep with talented guys that are all ready to get snaps.

Recruiting at QB, WR, DT, S through 2 cycles is not catastrophic but hardly ideal.

If Mario's one true strength is recruiting then he better address this or else.
He didn't think it would get harder. I always like his chances vs Saban if they are after local guys. But Hartline and Deon just showed him they can body him so that's bad. That was a huge disappointment the Cormani thing, dude was possibly a program changer like Kayvon was for Oregon. Maybe not program changing but a defining moment on the trail.

And he has to get 5 star DTs that's a must this cycle and not one.

I don’t believe in playing them so they won’t transfer. I do believe in playing them if they’ve earned PT & aren’t a liability. Mop up duty is for pups & jags.

Advertisement
He didn't think it would get harder. I always like his chances vs Saban if they are after local guys. But Hartline and Deon just showed him they can body him so that's bad. That was a huge disappointment the Cormani thing, dude was possibly a program changer like Kayvon was for Oregon. Maybe not program changing but a defining moment on the trail.

And he has to get 5 star DTs that's a must this cycle and not one.
There’s not much aNYONE could do when families like Cormani’s operate the way they do.

I don’t care WHO is recruiting them.

Advertisement
Some of you guys have unrealistic expectations for first and second year linemen. There’s a learning curve in the trenches, even for the best recruits. I expect Moten to contribute in the rotation next year but expecting him to make an impact beyond being a solid reserve isn’t realistic

Advertisement
Back