The Forgotten 2014 Recruits

Advertisement
Advertisement
I'm wondering how effective Jenkins is going to be in the role of NT if they ultimately decide to play him there; his lack of height and wingspan will make it difficult IMO. I would like to see him on the field with another DT (Heurtelou, Wyche). Out of that group listed I think Smith will make the quickest impact.

259.gif

Wingspan and size isn't as much of a big deal for a Agap player, most of those guys inside are also short so size isn't really looked at like that as much. Wake Forests starting Nose last year was under 6' and under 260.

It matters when you need to 2 gap both A gaps. Nakita Whitlock was one gapping and has extremely long arms for his height at 32". That is the same as geno Atkins and sharif floyd. By two gapping you change the standard of agility needed to play DT. In my opinion, we need DTs that are around olsen Pierre's size, maybe a bit heavier. My real opinion is use a different defense, but assuming this is the defense no matter what, then we need size. This is why wyche is exciting. He is strong and big. Moten is big and after a year should be strong. Just gotta hurry up and wait for fall now.

The knock on Sharif Floyd coming into the draft was he had short arms.

Where is that savage Taryone Gray?!!

saw this kid in person at spring game for the first time...kid looks like a college player, much taller than i expected as well.....if he plays rb...we might have a lower tier Darren Mcfadden on our hands....@ wr he is Anquan Boldin re incarnated. Gray has to be around 6'2 in height if not 6'1.... kid was standing up @ the gate to get on sideline...kid just looked like an ol school mean carol city sob.

i think they will switch gayot to LB, hope he doesnt turn out to be another cornilious

thing abou tgayot is ....if they switch him...he already has a better fram than Cornelius. Cornelius was a guy that was wiry...but they thought had the frame to pack on..but he hit his tops around 215-220 mark.....Gayot is a guy tat has a frame similar to Jon Beason's if you guys can remember. If they do move him, **** be able to pack n weight better imo

College nose guards do not have to be tall. They have to be immovable objects. 6'1" is plenty tall enough at the college level. Warren Sapp is 6'2" for example. What will determine whether he plays is whether he is strong enough/big enough to play, mentally mature enough to be in the trenches, and then whether he knows his position responsibilities.

Advertisement
Terry McCray Is a very Intriguing prospect too me and i think he will be the surprise of the class. His production is off the charts for a DE and really is a hybrid DE/LB His High Motor and Pursit is what i love. I think he has a great work ethic as well. he will probably redshirt but i see good things.

Agree. I like his film a lot. Natural pass rusher .

Last edited:
I remember AG saying something along the lines of 'The U will be 'back' when we no longer need incoming freshmen to be superstars right away'. There are some ballers on that list that we have a chance to redshirt and, and hopefully, develop.

Great point. For old skool types like me who went to college in California, I remember getting fax updates on who signed with the Canes. That was usually the first time I'd hear a kid's name. Then it would seem that these kids would disappear for 2-3 years, then be a stud 2-year starter as a RS-Jr & RS-Sr before getting drafted on day one.

Advertisement
I remember AG saying something along the lines of 'The U will be 'back' when we no longer need incoming freshmen to be superstars right away'. There are some ballers on that list that we have a chance to redshirt and, and hopefully, develop.

We definitely need to RS more freshman. Look at most top programs and you will see most players were Redshirted. Out of a class of 25 you'll get maybe 8-10 that can contribute but that is even pushing it. We haven't had the luxury the past couple years bc our older players were non Miami caliber.

Terry McCray Is a very Intriguing prospect too me and i think he will be the surprise of the class. His production is off the charts for a DE and really is a hybrid DE/LB His High Motor and Pursit is what i love. I think he has a great work ethic as well. he will probably redshirt but i see good things.

Agree. I like his film a lot. Natural pass rusher .

I'm in wait and see mode on these kids like McCord, McCray, Smith etc...

We haven't had much luck developing undersized kids who are great High School pass rushers into LB's.

Maybe it's just me but I seriously can't remember an example of an undersized pass rushing kid (played pretty much DE in HS) and turned him into a good LB.

I hope these kids coming in can reverse that trend.

JMO

Advertisement

We definitely need to RS more freshman. Look at most top programs and you will see most players were Redshirted. Out of a class of 25 you'll get maybe 8-10 that can contribute but that is even pushing it. We haven't had the luxury the past couple years bc our older players were non Miami caliber.

would be surprised if we had more than 8 (four on offense and four on defense) that played as frosh. We are finally looking like that team!!

would be surprised if we had more than 8 (four on offense and four on defense) that played as frosh. We are finally looking like that team!!

There are some NTs with height but Jenkins size and build is pretty ideal for a NT. Don't know his exact arm length but from what I saw it didn't look like it would be much of an issue.

Advertisement
Back