Confirmed The expectation is that Kevin Steele will be hired as Miami’s defensive coordinator, per sources

Advertisement
Some of the people on this board complaining about every single Mario criticism need to stop all that crying. People are allowed to critique and criticize Mario all they want. Half of you whiners were total a***** to Manny but now we're preaching patience because YOU like the coach? Do you not see the hypocrisy?

Mario has been given the highest salary and budget the U has ever given anyone and he needs to produce.

Steele was a good hire, but not a great one. It was rushed and a reboot might be necessary in about 3 years. Here's hoping he kills here.

Can someone explain why this is not a great hire? He has been an SEC D coordinator for years with very successful defenses against the top team of CFB? He is high energy and a disciplinarian. As little as 2 years ago, he was the (or one of the) highest paid coordinators in the country. He has PROVEN results BOTH coaching DEF as well as coaching LBs.

Can someone explain why they KNOW this hire was rushed? Everyone acting like they know what happened here. How do we not know that Steele was Mario's 1ST choice? They were talking in Dec apparently. Maybe he told Mario at that time he wasn't ready to get back in the game. Mario moves to Schumann who tells him to wait until after the championship game. Schumann then decides to pass, so Mario moves to Belk meanwhile another closer friend of Steele's (Locksley) has convinced him to get back in the game. Mario/or Steele reach out after to see if either side has interest and here we are.

I am convinced there is NO HIRE that would make the fanbase completely happy especially if Steele as D coordinator doesn't

We aren't complaining about criticism itself, we just point out the absolutely ridiculous basis of much of the criticism. Whining about the Steele hire and pretending its an underwhelming, bargain bin hire shows a lack of knowledge and nonsensical expectations. Steele is one of the biggest name, most successful and proven DCs out there that was available. I wanted Belk, like many others, because of his trajectory and potential, but he hasn't proven a thing yet. Steele is as close to a sure thing as you'll find.
Don't you think its a little self aggrandizing to say that because someone read the same thing you did and came to a different conclusion that HE lacks knowledge?

Most of the criticism against Mario has been painfully benign but this quest to stifle everything but praises is crazy.

I'm saying lets treat Mario like we've treated every other coach we've had for the past 20 years.

Advertisement
Can someone explain why this is not a great hire? He has been an SEC D coordinator for years with very successful defenses against the top team of CFB? He is high energy and a disciplinarian. As little as 2 years ago, he was the (or one of the) highest paid coordinators in the country. He has PROVEN results BOTH coaching DEF as well as coaching LBs.

Can someone explain why they KNOW this hire was rushed? Everyone acting like they know what happened here. How do we not know that Steele was Mario's 1ST choice? They were talking in Dec apparently. Maybe he told Mario at that time he wasn't ready to get back in the game. Mario moves to Schumann who tells him to wait until after the championship game. Schumann then decides to pass, so Mario moves to Belk meanwhile another closer friend of Steele's (Locksley) has convinced him to get back in the game. Mario/or Steele reach out after to see if either side has interest and here we are.

I am convinced there is NO HIRE that would make the fanbase completely happy especially if Steele as D coordinator doesn't
Let those who have a problem with him state their claim. I said it was a good hire twice and I believe based on the circumstance it was the best we could do. I'm not buying the whole this was Marios master plan idea though. No one knows how any of this came about which is why everyone should be free to state what they think. Some people need you to think what they think though.

Don't you think its a little self aggrandizing to say that because someone read the same thing you did and came to a different conclusion that HE lacks knowledge?

Most of the criticism against Mario has been painfully benign but this quest to stifle everything but praises is crazy.

I'm saying lets treat Mario like we've treated every other coach we've had for the past 20 years.
Again, not talking about every criticism, but there are many that have been absolutely laughable. Such as claiming Steele is a bargain bin retread and a panic hire. If someone preferred an up an comer like Belk, which I did, that's fine. One can legitimately debate whether Mario should be looking towards future growth and potential of a coach vs. an established, accomplished guy who's reached his ceiling.

But to make laughably uninformed claims about Steele is ridiculous. He is one of the biggest, most established, successful guys out there. Two years ago he was the fan favorite and favorite of many on the BoT to get the head coaching job at Auburn...instead they hired the imminent failure, Harsin. He was also one of the highest paid coordinators in college, making $2.5 million/year. So those trashing his resume and pretending he's a scrub because they want to attack Mario is very much worthy of being called out.

Advertisement
Let those who have a problem with him state their claim. I said it was a good hire twice and I believe based on the circumstance it was the best we could do. I'm not buying the whole this was Marios master plan idea though. No one knows how any of this came about which is why everyone should be free to state what they think. Some people need you to think what they think though.

I am all for freedom of speech and for individuals to express their OPINIONS. I just wish people would react with an opinion instead of acting like they KNOW how this played out.

im just lonely, dont mind me.

the majority of them wants em, so give it to em
Understood and it’s ok if you're not a booty gif guy.

These are on spoilers now. You don’t have to open it. I am making this stat up but for every Booty Gif post, there are 1000 other post about football or other stuff.

The booty Gifs come out for commits, new hires and sometimes to break the monotony of porsts!!! And oh yeah, behind spoilers. Just skip past the spoiler post (which are labeled) and move on.

Let me do a football post:

The hire of Steele is a fantastic hire. Great job by Mario despite the recent losses of TRob and BMac. Fvk those guys.

Trust Mario and everything he is doing as he revamps this program.

Last edited:
Understood and it’s ok if you're not a booty gif guy.

These are on spoilers now. You don’t have to open it. I am making this stat up but for every Booty Gif post, there are 1000 other post about football or other stuff.

The booty Gifs come out for commits, new hires and sometimes to break the monotony of porsts!!! And oh yeah, behind spoilers. Just skip past the spoiler post (which are labeled) and move on.
oh god, oh no, you are getting the wrong impression of me.

i love booty gifs... well i used to. i was not one of the people who asked to put them behind spoilers.

reason why i dont is not because i dislike them. its a me-problem, not a gif-problem, not a you-problem and certainly not someone elses problem.

i usually avoid clicking on them for now. i just use a shtick to make the situation a little bit funnier for me.

Advertisement
The arguments saying how he is too old:

He is 63, meaning he wont jump at the first opportunity if he has to. Plus, he lives in South Florida now. Could easily be a longer tenure.

I think we are good with him for a couple of years... after that we will figure it out then

Advertisement
His teams tackle well. They don't give up big plays. They're pretty disciplined. He's a decent recruiter.

Why are people upset about this? He'll bring competence to a defense that's lacked it since the teenager has had the reins in 2019.

What exactly are you saying, Bender? Just come out and be clear so we know. You don’t like booty Gifs and locker room humor on a Canes board? Is it not football enough for you?

I'm here for the booty GIF's 🖐🏼

Dude coached at every hard nose D school we've been wanting since LSU whooped us.... yet, we are fixated at 1year and 1game

Advertisement
Back