Confirmed The expectation is that Kevin Steele will be hired as Miami’s defensive coordinator, per sources

Advertisement
I don’t hate him. He’s not a Clint Hurtt-type disaster.

I was just pointing out that given the circumstances + the hype, he definitely comes off as underwhelming.

If he kills it, great.

If not, Mario will be searching for another DC in a year.

You finally turning the corner.
wondering-batman.gif

Last edited:
Advertisement
I seem to remember a good number of posters begging to get this guy when he was let go in 2020 and ended up at UTenn for a minute. He was supposed to be our DC a year or two earlier and now he is too old? I echo the sentiments of many. With stats like this and a name finally in the building, some of you are insufferable pricks that wouldn’t be happy if Adriana Lima knocked on your door wearing Victoria Secret lingerie looking to get laid.

This guy is not the end all be all. He is a coach that will be here for a few years and hopefully gives us the traction that we need to rebuild. If all goes according to plan, we will hire a top level OC, ride TVD to the ACCCG this year and clean up in recruiting early NSD 2022. Who knows, maybe we win the ACC and go to a New Years 6 or ****, a CFP game. The rebuild needs to start somewhere. Buckle up and let’s get going.

Advertisement
I get your post and I agree. The thing is there was some very fair and legit criticism/concern. The concern here is that when legitimate concern and/or criticism get put in the same folder as trashy ******* fans who are in their feelings then it's a slippery slope. You and @IndayArtHauz may have lumped me in there but if you did that it wouldn't bother me but it would worry me a bit in terms of the politicizing of any future concern or valid criticism. We are all fans and fanatics of this U. Most of us anyway. We have a new coach a new AD and a new start with money and the whole nine yards. There is certainly a ton to be thankful for. Having said that we also come here because we feel comfortable with expressing our opinions and offering praise or criticism. I hope we are able to continue doing that in the future.

Edit: I just want to be very clear that I have always loved and continue to love and appreciate @Cribby and everything you bring to the board. I've got no issue with you at all. Same with @IndayArtHauz I love that guy too. I get along with him very well and hope to continue to do so. The thing is that I like to speak my mind plainly and I'm not going to get on one side of an issue in order to kiss *** or get political brownie points. I don't care about any of that and never will. I'm very straightforward for the most part and I'm very comfortable being that way. I didn't write this post to offend anyone or to argue with or disrespect anyone. I'm just voicing an honest concern. GO CANES!

I'm right there with you. My frustration with some posters here was that they seemed to be ignoring or downplaying the fact that Mario was struggling to get people to sign on, meaning nobody signed on the dotted line within a reasonable time frame. I personally think that's an issue given:

1) Our new commitment to spending that puts us in a league with the top 5 schools
2) Our current make up on offense with DVD at QB
3) The fact that we finally have a proven HC, who emphasizes recruiting, in an area as fertile as Miami

That seems like a situation where Mario would literally have his pick of staff but it seems we were slow played by a lot of people. While this is happening we're losing current staff members to other schools.

I am in no way in the sky is falling camp or think Mario won't be awesome here. But I think it's fair to say that there was something off about this process that made me realize Mario may have some issues that I wasn't aware of. I think that's a perfectly reasonable position to take.

I think it's gonna be a lot of fun, but this is a message board and if you can't say that stuff here where can you say it?

This is a perfectly fine hire. He has been the defensive coordinator on some very good Auburn defenses and has no problem putting in a special gameplan against opponents who are difficult to play against (see 2019 LSU).

Heres an article regarding his efforts to stop the LSU team:

I think we all know exactly what happened even if most don't want to admit it.

Mario knows he needed absolute elite coordinators to mask his game day coaching deficiencies. He went after the best of the best struck out time after time and now he has to scramble to get anyone he can to fill the positions before practice starts.
Lol it’s so funny when I read post like this , people act like they were actually part of the process and know what exactly happened, you don’t know anything my guy lol

Advertisement
If I may...

Solid hire... Checks all the boxes we wanted in Schumann plus Has experience calling plays - which was a prerequisite among the mopes in CIS. And - he did it in the SEC and other big time programs.

Excellent Teacher - Aggressive Defenses - Terrific Recruiter.

Just because he hasn't been talk about ad nausea like Belk, Mason and Schumann ..... I can make a solid case that he's a BETTER choice and fit for Miami at DC.

JC

I agree and pretty much said this exact same thing a month ago.

I know a lot people have a hard on for Mario to make a run at Glenn Schumann or Derek Mason for DC, but I wish Mario would make a serious run at Kevin Steele for DC as well.

He is as good as any DC being mentioned and is proven and available.

I actually prefer him over Schumann and Mason if we could land Rod Chance with him as cb coach to pair with Trob.

No doubt Mason is a good DC, but I would argue that former Auburn DC Kevin Steele is as good or better and is probably the best available right now.

He consistently had Auburn’s defense in the top 20 in points per game during his time there.

I actually think Steele is a better fit for our current roster and an overall better fit.

Year - defensive rank ppg
2020 - 38th (24.7 ppg)
2019 - 17th (19.5 ppg)
2018 - 14th (19.2 ppg)
2017 - 12th (18.5 ppg)
2016 - 7th (17.1 ppg)

I will take these results all day everyday and twice on Sunday. Pair that defensive output with a good offense and we would be competing for both the ACC Championship and CFP playoff spot.

Advertisement
Miami fans are pretty funny. Last year we didn’t even have a defensive coordination and it showed on the field. The year before we had Blake baker. Now we have a legit guy who has consistently fielded top defenses. A professional coach not some experiment or g5 guy we hope can step up. I’m happy with this hire.

I seem to remember a good number of posters begging to get this guy when he was let go in 2020 and ended up at UTenn for a minute. He was supposed to be our DC a year or two earlier and now he is too old? I echo the sentiments of many. With stats like this and a name finally in the building, some of you are insufferable pricks that wouldn’t be happy if Adriana Lima knocked on your door wearing Victoria Secret lingerie looking to get laid.

This guy is not the end all be all. He is a coach that will be here for a few years and hopefully gives us the traction that we need to rebuild. If all goes according to plan, we will hire a top level OC, ride TVD to the ACCCG this year and clean up in recruiting early NSD 2022. Who knows, maybe we win the ACC and go to a New Years 6 or ****, a CFP game. The rebuild needs to start somewhere. Buckle up and let’s get going.
Adriana Lima? Meh I wouldn’t do it. Now if you tell me Autumn Falls knocks on my door I’ll open the door quick af.

Advertisement
Back