Confirmed The expectation is that Kevin Steele will be hired as Miami’s defensive coordinator, per sources

Advertisement
Some of y’all care WAY too much if a guy is a plan A or B or C hire.

Who gives a ****?

All I care about is if we hire someone that can do their job well.

This guy has coached at some of the best programs in the nation for a reason.

We got ourselves a competent DC who knows what he’s doing.

Smh at some of you 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
This.

So hes getting paid not to coach, yet he took a coaching job, then took another coaching job 4 days later. Makes sense.
The 2021 season my guy and as a defensive coordinator. He couldn’t coach 21’ as a DC cause Auburns staff got whacked. He could either coach on a new check or finish collecting the old one.

And fam, if I’m 63 and realized I inherited a **** show of McDonalds bags and sanctions, why the duck would I stay fam?

Pretty interesting to see people yearn for Belk whose only coordinated a defense once - in a non-p5 conference nevertheless. Steele was coaching LBs under Tom Osborne when Belk came out the womb.

You talk like being a geriatric is a good thing in coaching.

This guy checks the box. Get a solid OC and get working with TVD. Bring in the big uglies and move the line on offense and lock down the trenches in defense…and the ACC is ours!

Then we will see Joe Brady or Glenn Schumann turn down an offer from this U. Coaches will be begging to join the staff as we dominate. Our D was so bad last year that if we hold teams to 10 less points per game due to a solid D, we win every game except Alabama (MSU was King’s last game and end of season TVD would have given us a chance, even with Gurvan Hall tackling the wrong player). I’m pumped. We got a guy. Now we can start focusing on how we can use our current players to round out the d. We can get a CB coach to help the rookies grow. This is now finally taking shape.

Advertisement
The 2021 season my guy and as a defensive coordinator. He couldn’t coach 21’ as a DC cause Auburns staff got whacked. He could either coach on a new check or finish collecting the old one.

And fam, if I’m 63 and realized I inherited a **** show of McDonalds bags and sanctions, why the duck would I stay fam?
I agree, but it still doesn't explain why his best offer was Maryland.

Advertisement
You talk like being a geriatric is a good thing in coaching.
It’s not when the work ethic declines, but none of his results at Auburn show his work ethic or competency has declined. Instead of taking it back to 1989 I’ll take it back to 2017. Kevin Steele’s defense held Alabama to 14 points while Doug Belk was less than a year into his first D1 on the field coaching job.

In a vacuum, I’ll take Kevin Steele against Dabo and Jimbo the next two years over Doug Belk all day

Belk was a decent hire...But very unproven. Steele is clearly a better hire...Maybe if you include recruiting Belk narrows the gap, but honestly they aren't comparable on the field.

Belk had a decent G5 defense this year....I've posted it before, when they played Cincy, I didn't expect them to win by any means...But they could have offered some resisitance. With 10 mins left to go in the game before they called off dogs, Cincy was averaging 10 yards a play...Mama please make the bad man stop hitting me. Cincy O was good, but D was clearly their better unit....And their beat the brakes off that Houston defense.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Steele is excellent with DLmen...This bodes well with Moss....Kelly and possibly the tipping point from Shemar.....

Anybody who doubts this hire needs to go watch that 2019 LSU vs Auburn game.

LSU was led by two guys who are about to represent the AFC in the SUPER BOWL.

Steele had that defense all over Burrows’ *** from the first whistle. LSU couldn’t block them. It took masterful recognition and humility by the LSU offensive staff to sneak out of there with the win.

Steele took away the deep ball and made them earn everything. There are only a handful of coordinators who could have pulled out a win in that environment.

Belk was a decent hire...But very unproven. Steele is clearly a better hire...Maybe if you include recruiting Belk narrows the gap, but honestly they aren't comparable on the field.

Belk had a decent G5 defense this year....I've posted it before, when they played Cincy, I didn't expect them to win by any means...But they could have offered some resisitance. With 10 mins left to go in the game before they called off dogs, Cincy was averaging 10 yards a play...Mama please make the bad man stop hitting me. Cincy O was good, but D was clearly their better unit....And their beat the brakes off that Houston defense.
One of the top posters in Shadow's board has spoken. Thank you Skeet.

I get your post and I agree. The thing is there was some very fair and legit criticism/concern. The concern here is that when legitimate concern and/or criticism get put in the same folder as trashy ******* fans who are in their feelings then it's a slippery slope. You and @IndayArtHauz may have lumped me in there but if you did that it wouldn't bother me but it would worry me a bit in terms of the politicizing of any future concern or valid criticism. We are all fans and fanatics of this U. Most of us anyway. We have a new coach a new AD and a new start with money and the whole nine yards. There is certainly a ton to be thankful for. Having said that we also come here because we feel comfortable with expressing our opinions and offering praise or criticism. I hope we are able to continue doing that in the future.

Edit: I just want to be very clear that I have always loved and continue to love and appreciate @Cribby and everything you bring to the board. I've got no issue with you at all. Same with @IndayArtHauz I love that guy too. I get along with him very well and hope to continue to do so. The thing is that I like to speak my mind plainly and I'm not going to get on one side of an issue in order to kiss *** or get political brownie points. I don't care about any of that and never will. I'm very straightforward for the most part and I'm very comfortable being that way. I didn't write this post to offend anyone or to argue with or disrespect anyone. I'm just voicing an honest concern. GO CANES!
In no way was I ever thinking about your posts as an issue, even if I responded to one of your posts. You’re a very good poster, especially when we disagree.

I was posting last week that the DC spot was going to be announced imminently, meaning that day. It didn't happen, and this is why. Steele was not a backup plan to Belk. Belk was going to be the guy and would have been the guy until Steele became a possibility. Mario then turned on a dime and went after Steele. Belk became the backup to Steele at that point.

Advertisement
Back