The epitome of South Florida Football

Idk if I can believe that you teach in NY for 15 years and only make $60k unless you teach in Private schools. I know people that I went to HS with that now teach in NY making more than that
I actually teach in one of the higher paying districts. Next year will be the first time I’ve hit the 60K mark.

Advertisement
Idk if I can believe that you teach in NY for 15 years and only make $60k unless you teach in Private schools. I know people that I went to HS with that now teach in NY making more than that
They could also live in NYC or Long Island where the pay is higher. I live in Western NY.

I know a former coordinator at STA was making like $60 grand and that was just for coaching. He was not employed by the school in any other manner. That’s more than pretty much everyone who works at a public school besides administrators.
Maybe in S. Fla because we know they don't pay teachers **** down there. However; in DC a cough cough special education coordinator at a public school with a masters is making $90k+ and still getting your summers off. AP start at $106K Principals $112k. I know plenty of 30-35 AP and Principals in PG county/DC and Baltimore making good money. Most just don't coach because of the entitled kids and the entitled parents.

Advertisement
I’m a AP in The Dallas area. I’ve been here for 10 years. Head coaches at the high school level is usually the second highest paid on campus. Principals have to be the highest paid on campus according to the Texas Education Agency. Texas football produce a lot of money. I put it like this we have a indoor football facility that is probably better than Miami’s
Lord! Are you guys hiring ?

And those coaches teach a small fraction of the school population and many instances as we have seen in south Florida they get the kids grades and allow them to play when they are failing all their classes.

I admit I’m biased here as I am a teacher. Have taught for 15 years and make around 60k.
I have also been a coach for a short time and most up in NY make little to nothing for the time they put in but it’s still around 5-6k for a varsity head coach.

clearly Texas puts far more worth in their football than they do there academics.
Dam my old boss who's also my landlord has 4 kids, 2 off which are teachers. The one son just started out at Lake Nona hs and started out at 55k a year.

Maybe in S. Fla because we know they don't pay teachers **** down there. However; in DC a cough cough special education coordinator at a public school with a masters is making $90k+ and still getting your summers off. AP start at $106K Principals $112k. I know plenty of 30-35 AP and Principals in PG county/DC and Baltimore making good money. Most just don't coach because of the entitled kids and the entitled parents.
Yes. Different states pay teachers differently. In Florida teachers are notoriously underpaid. A high school AP will make around 80 grand and the principal makes a bit over 100.

I'd like for you to outline why that's sad.

At the schools where they're making this the football programs bring in a metric **** ton of money to the district. They work a **** ton more hours than the average teacher. They give up ALL of their school-year weekends and the bulk of their summers year after year after year. The pressure that football coaches face at a high profile Texas high school are insane, not at all that dissimilar to college football coaches in either pressure or time put in. If they don't have a good game they have "FOR SALE" signs in their yards and then they get ****canned by mid-term if it's a poor season. Teachers, for the most part, get a free pass for life, with almost zero public scrutiny unless they're absolutely horrendous. The large bulk of the 6 figure guys are also athletic directors for the entire sports program, not just football coaches.

Football coaches have a drastically more important role in shaping young mens' lives than the average teacher they will have in their high school career. There are exceptions - there are some extremely influential teachers and there are some bum coaches, of course. Those coaches aren't the ones that make big money for long.
Applause.

The coaches should make more money than the typical teacher. Most public school teachers are glorified babysitters.

Advertisement
Yes. Different states pay teachers differently. In Florida teachers are notoriously underpaid. A high school AP will make around 80 grand and the principal makes a bit over 100.
Idk where you're getting your numbers from but no where near me do teachers make 50k and administrators make 80-100. Teachers start at 35k and ap make 55k. Private school salaries are even lower. My mom made 50k but that was with 40 years experience and a master's degree. The highest pay is 42k for teachers in Palm Beach county. The governor is getting extreme push back from lawmakers about wanting to raise the starting salary to 42k for the whole state and we wonder why Florida is near the bottom of the whole country in education.

For many it's all fun and games until they find out it's actually a job. Then they pretty much zombie walk through the day.
No the problem is all discipline has been removed from schools. I could go on for pages about just one student my wife has to deal with but I'll just say he has bitten kids and literally urinated and defecated in the principal's office and he is still there.
The answer is "behavior reports" followed by "meetings" and then "behavior plans" rinse and repeat. They can only do so much because the mother refuses to sign or acknowledge anything that says he has a behavioral problem or will give him a "label."

No the problem is all discipline has been removed from schools. I could go on for pages about just one student my wife has to deal with but I'll just say he has bitten kids and literally urinated and defecated in the principal's office and he is still there.
The answer is "behavior reports" followed by "meetings" and then "behavior plans" rinse and repeat. They can only do so much because the mother refuses to sign or acknowledge anything that says he has a behavioral problem or will give him a "label."
I get what your saying and that is an issue. Plenty of parents don't know how to be parents or want the headache and it's been that way for some time.

Advertisement
I get what your saying and that is an issue. Plenty of parents don't know how to be parents or want the headache and it's been that way for some time.
My thing is, the parents shouldn't have that much of a say when their child is misbehaving that badly and disrupting all the children's learning experience.
I could continue on with how many "meetings" and new "behavior plans" they've done and all for nothing. I guess, my point is that not only are teachers severely underpaid but all control of their classroom has been taken as well.

My thing is, the parents shouldn't have that much of a say when their child is misbehaving that badly and disrupting all the children's learning experience.
I could continue on with how many "meetings" and new "behavior plans" they've done and all for nothing. I guess, my point is that not only are teachers severely underpaid but all control of their classroom has been taken as well.
This is not an attempt at a slight against anyone, but I'm curious as to why you say they are "severely underpaid." How much should they be paid and what is the basis for it? What is the value they contribute to justify more pay?

Note: probably half of my extended family is made up of current and former teachers and administrators. They have varied experience in public and private settings.

This is not an attempt at a slight against anyone, but I'm curious as to why you say they are "severely underpaid." How much should they be paid and what is the basis for it? What is the value they contribute to justify more pay?

Note: probably half of my extended family is made up of current and former teachers and administrators. They have varied experience in public and private settings.
Are you kidding? Teachers have to have a minimum of a Bachelor's degree and take very difficult state certification exams and then have to teach for a year for free. Finish all that and be lucky to make 40k a year, which is peanuts. They are largely responsible for the youth becoming productive members of society and not to mention the personal relationships and impact they can have on children. They are with them more than their parents. It's criminal what is required of them, not reciprocated and they don't even make a decent living.

Advertisement

This is true. I really like where I work and have good admins but their hands are tied. People that sit in the ivory tower spew the adage that suspensions are a pipe-line to prison, so they fight suspensions and tell buildings to deal with behavior problems. This is why we have kids that come to school high as **** and they can't be sent home, kids are in fights, kids refuse to go to class and walk the halls all day.

The key is to develop relationships with kids and try and get them to buy into what you're trying to accomplish in the classroom. Even then many in the class will just expect to keep moving on each year without putting in any work and then before you know it they're 18 with 1 credit.

Besides the *****ing..he’s 10000% percent correct. The coaching in south Florida is terrible. Just thinking about who I see on staff from my local HS that I KNOW PERSONALLY from the neighborhood and growing up it’s a joke. And I’m talking about the most talented public Broward school. A lot of the offers thrown out to these kids are fake offers, that’s a fact too

Idk where you're getting your numbers from but no where near me do teachers make 50k and administrators make 80-100. Teachers start at 35k and ap make 55k. Private school salaries are even lower. My mom made 50k but that was with 40 years experience and a master's degree. The highest pay is 42k for teachers in Palm Beach county. The governor is getting extreme push back from lawmakers about wanting to raise the starting salary to 42k for the whole state and we wonder why Florida is near the bottom of the whole country in education.
Maybe after taxes. My mother worked for the Broward school board for over 30 years. Teacher, AP, Principal and then at the school board office downtown. My best friend is a high school assistant principal in Broward county. I know at least 4 more full time public school teachers in Broward and Dade. Starting salary is $38k you can make more with experience and a master’s degree. Ron Desantis wants to make starting salary $47,000 which is about what the average teacher salary is in Florida. Elementary administrators make less than high school administrators normally but I can assure you my mother was making 6 figures as a principal. The average assistant principal salary in Florida is $83 grand. Maybe you’re comparing salaries from 20 years ago to today’s salaries?

Here’s an article about DeSantis wanting to raise teacher starting salary. Average teacher salary in Florida is a little over 48 grand

Advertisement
Back