The entire focus of this program needs to be on moving....

Sebastian's old crusty *** doesn't think Ezekial ran all over Bama just because he did it out of the shotgun.

230 yards? Doesn't count, you had 4 WRs on the field.
6.7 YPC

Oregon wasn't running it down their throat, though.

When did I say they didn't?

Well, you said:

Gimmicks come and go, but lining up and whipping the guy in front of you, pounding it down his throat, forcing him to bring extra people...

So apparently you view spread, uptempo offenses as gimmicks incapable of incorporating a power run game.

Just because a team has 4-5 wrs on the field, it's a gimmick? Meyer's teams always have a smash mouth run game, and last night they manhandled a "defense first" coach at the point of attack. Their back broke the Sugar Bowl rushing record. They were destroying Bama's front 7.

Not bad for a fly by night, Mickey Mouse, get off my lawn, **** teenagers!, offense.

Advertisement
Sebastian's old crusty *** doesn't think Ezekial ran all over Bama just because he did it out of the shotgun.

6.7 YPC

Well, you said:

Gimmicks come and go, but lining up and whipping the guy in front of you, pounding it down his throat, forcing him to bring extra people...

So apparently you view spread, uptempo offenses as gimmicks incapable of incorporating a power run game.

Just because a team has 4-5 wrs on the field, it's a gimmick? Meyer's teams always have a smash mouth run game, and last night they manhandled a "defense first" coach at the point of attack. Their back broke the Sugar Bowl rushing record. They were destroying Bama's front 7.

Not bad for a fly by night, Mickey Mouse, get off my lawn, **** teenagers!, offense.

Bama and Oregon pounded the rock, shotgun or not, that was power running game.

All Miami needs to do is get as much or more talent than Alabama on a yearly basis and their pro-style attack can absolutely be successful. That's all they have to do!

Advertisement
Run and shoot, triple option, wild cat, speed-option, read-option...blah, blah, blah. Every time an offensive guru comes up w/ this revolutionized gimic, defenseive are stunned for about 3 yrs....then it's deciphered and killed. The Run and Shoot was supposed to be the end all to be all of offensive game plans. The amount of yardage these guys were putting up, OMG...that offense is no where to be found.

The Triple Option was destroyed by JJ and it went into hiding until recently w/ GT. What actually made the triple option work for them this year was that they actually had a decent qb who could throw the ball a bit...but that will go back to hiding soon as well. The wild-cat...well we see how far that's gotten teams. And now we're in the zone-read/speed option read era. Right now, it's hot, but if you notice, Chip Kelly is having a little problem running it in the NFL this year than last year, b/c gimics only work for so long. Stanford already showed how to smash that, FSU already showed how to smash that against Auburn. Michigan St already showed how to smash that. It will go away, soon, as well.

You know what offense has never went away? Pro-Style. You know what offense gets you paid in the NFL? Pro-Style. It's always been that way. I agree w/ the speed tempo, but you need the players and a creative OC in order to do that. We had the players, but definitely not the OC. Don't be impressed by gimics. Pro-Style will always trump gimics.

All Miami needs to do is get as much or more talent than Alabama on a yearly basis and their pro-style attack can absolutely be successful. That's all they have to do!

Exactly. Exactly. That's all we have to do. After all we are miami.

Defending those types of offenses requires a talented, smart, experienced LB core. What is the weakest unit of FSU defense? LB. What is the weakest unit of Alabama? LB. Bama was up 21-6 until they had 2 LB go down.

Also, the only team to beat Oregon was Arizona.. they had the Butkis award winner and the best LB in college football this year. The secind time they played Oregon completely schemed to take him out of the game and it worked. It can be stopped though.

Advertisement
The key is an aggressive one gap scheme that makes plays in the backfield.

Our focus (once the athletic dept house is in order) should be to get back to the attacking mentality that built this program and put this soft shouldered, hang back, passive mentality in the trash cans we're gonna kick over on our way back to the top.

Defenses will catch up to this Mickey Mouse **** soon enough.

Until then I wouldn't have a problem with miami going to the spread. With all the athletes down here miami would be unstoppable.

In case you guys didn't know Miami's success was built on being ahead of the curve with its pro style offense to its 4-3 defense built on speed.n the spread / variotions of the spread is ahead of the curve right now.

I want and offense and a defense that attacks, attacks, attacks. We got away from that with the Coker era when he would take his foot off the pedal. We need a stone cold assassin who isn't afraid to step on a teams juggular when they're down.

6.7 YPC

Well, you said:

No, I was speaking generally. A power running game only requires dominance of the LOS. Oregon did. O$U did. The rest is nothing but idiotic fodder for mental midget, trisomy-21's like you.

Advertisement
I finally agree. I thibk it's time to get up to date. The spread could thrive here. And yes it would take the right QB but honestly, I think it just puts so much pressure on the defense. We dont fool anyone with our pro style attack.

We will never have more talent on defense than Bama has right now and they cant stop it.

They are fat and slow, designed to stop SEC smashmouth running game. Our old defenses were lean, fast and up field. Only our DTs were big.

We'll have plenty of company. After the semifinal results every fanbase is desperate for that type of offense.

Several years ago I was wishing Alabama's great defense got a crack at Oregon. That would have been a beautiful example to hoist for years, the basic team mauling modern. It would have been far worse than anything Stanford or Boise State ever did to Oregon. Unfortunately Oregon always found a way to dodge that meeting. And now Alabama's defense has steadily declined, to the point I wasn't surprised at all against Ohio State. It looked like last year's bowl game against Oklahoma all over again, merely different names and style of play from the opponent.

The best college spread teams use tempo to run the ball. Often the rushing attempts are 45-55 on average. That makes it legit and dangerous. The prior versions like Mike Leach's that relied on short passing were garbage and are still garbage.

Fortified basic teams can still have their way with those spread teams, but it requires top talent and smarts. You gets tons of variance in those games, one style dominating for brief stretches and then the other style taking over. Note the amazing run of points in either direction when Alabama plays Auburn, or when Oregon plays Stanford. One year Andrew Luck had a big early lead at Oregon and then got run out of the park. Alabama led Auburn 24-0 at home in 2010 before Auburn rallied to steal it. Fascinating games. Florida State vs. Oregon had that same type of potential if Florida State maintained a defense similar to their 2011 through 2013 versions, and not the soft vulnerable group they fielded this season.

I posted on USC boards beginning last November that 2014 set up perfectly as Oregon's best chance ever, as long as Mariota returned. Stanford lost a ton of guys from the 2013 team and Oregon got them in Eugene. Michigan State may be compared to Stanford philosophically but when you're from a foreign conference and don't know the Oregon personnel and tendencies like Stanford does, it won't translate the same.

I prefer the McElwain approach, the one he used at Alabama. Lots of open field concepts between the 20s but seamless shift to power football in the red zone.

The spread teams aren't going away. Not even close. This isn't the Run and Shoot with flawed concepts throughout the field, encouraging the defense to attack. The simple fact that optioning that defensive end creates such a natural cavity on either side, along with hesitation and confusion, has changed football as we know it. Still, it feels more satisfying when you snuff out that type of team with a basic approach. If we're ever relevant again, I want to recognize the Canes uniforms and offense and 4-3 attacking defense. Otherwise we're just a clone, and probably not a successful one.

Notice that Urban Meyer forged his squad to defeat Alabama, not Oregon. The announcers emphasized that last night. He uses tempo but also throws the ball aggressively downfield, and his defensive front four looks widebody tough, not much different than the group that faced the Canes in the Fiesta Bowl. Ohio State this season has pulled off more remarkable stretches of play than I ever remember from Oregon. They brutalized Michigan State as underdog and likewise with Wisconsin. Last night they scored 28 unanswered points against Alabama. The third string quarterback may be exposed in the title game. Regardless, if we are emulating either one of those programs it should be Ohio State's blueprint, not Oregon. Ohio State can play standard power football if needed. Oregon cannot.

Advertisement
ohhh yeahhh because those early 2000 teams and early 90s/80s teams had soooo much trouble

to **** with the spread offense, there's a **** good reason it's only used in spurts at the NFL level

ohhh yeahhh because those early 2000 teams and early 90s/80s teams had soooo much trouble

to **** with the spread offense, there's a **** good reason it's only used in spurts at the NFL level

It's not going anywhere any time soon dude.

Advertisement
Back