The End of the Striker position

Advertisement
Couch is as willing a tackler as we have on the rooster and one heck-fire of a blitzer.
Move Frierson to safety, ditch the hybrid position and use a 4-2-5 base.

CB Stevenson / Dunson
CB Blades / Ivey
NB Couch / Clarke
SS Bolden / A. Williams
FS Frierson / J. Williams

Couch is as willing a tackler as we have on the rooster and one heck-fire of a blitzer.
Move Frierson to safety, ditch the hybrid position and use a 4-2-5 base.

CB Stevenson / Dunson
CB Blades / Ivey
NB Couch / Clarke
SS Bolden / A. Williams
FS Frierson / J. Williams
It is not the 4-2-5. It's our philosophy, coverage schemes. We commit entirely to force turnovers and tackles for lost. We did neither well last year. We have lineman who don't play gap integrity, linebackers who take bad angles or get lost in the wash and corners and safeties lost in zone. We spot drop our linebackers. We had to blitz to generate any real pressure. We had ends who consistently lost contain on RPO. We do not exactly have the corners to play man. Other than that how was Dallas Mrs. Kennedy?

Depending on the offense's formation, our Striker has to sometimes play close to the line-of-scrimmage and get involved in the run game.
Couch can't do that on a regular basis. I don't care how scrappy he is, physics are still physics.
With the way we use our Striker, that kid has to be somewhere between a LB and a Safety. Couch is barely big enough to play CB without getting bullied.

Smith is the perfect fit at Striker.
You bring guys like Couch in for Nickel during passing salutations versus 10 personnel.

Advertisement
Depending on the offense's formation, our Striker has to sometimes play close to the line-of-scrimmage and get involved in the run game.
Couch can't do that on a regular basis. I don't care how scrappy he is, physics are still physics.
With the way we use our Striker, that kid has to be somewhere between a LB and a Safety. Couch is barely big enough to play CB without getting bullied.

Smith is the perfect fit at Striker.
You bring guys like Couch in for Nickel during passing salutations versus 10 personnel.
Thank you for explaining. I feel like a lot of people think it’s like Madden or NCAA on PlayStation where you can just play nickel and dime and not get destroyed by the running game because DBs in video games take on blocks the same as LBs. People need to stop thinking of the “striker” as a corner and more as a strong side linebacker. For perspective, Gil Frierson is 6’1 205. Keontra Smith is 5’11” 215 lbs. Darrin Smith played Sam linebacker in the old 4-3 days at 6’1” 215 lbs.

Thank you for explaining. I feel like a lot of people think it’s like Madden or NCAA on PlayStation where you can just play nickel and dime and not get destroyed by the running game because DBs in video games take on blocks the same as LBs. People need to stop thinking of the “striker” as a corner and more as a strong side linebacker. For perspective, Gil Frierson is 6’1 205. Keontra Smith is 5’11” 215 lbs. Darrin Smith played Sam linebacker in the old 4-3 days at 6’1” 215 lbs.
Actually more like a second strong safety.

Tell us how you'd like that position used instead.

We need a DC that runs a multiple defense like the good teams in cfb with real defenses. Bama is either going to show a 3-4 hybrid look with a STAR on the field, or a 4-3 hybrid look with their JACK lber on the field.

Show me one time where Alabama’s defense looked stupid lining up on the field the way ours do? They have a STAR position but they don’t play theirs the way Diaz does the Striker position. Every time Alabama lines up their defense looks like a shell not exposing any wholes before the ball is snapped..

When our defense lines up with the Striker spread out of the camera view and Two LBers that look lost ready to get knocked out of the way by the oline, you see immediate wholes on the strong side, in the middle, and the weak side of the field before the ball is snapped.

Another problem is We kept one of our two best DBs at Striker which is a position that’s not as impactful as the safety and cb position. While both of Bamas STAR position players are true freshmen. Saban keeps his best DBs at safety and CB bc that’s the smartest way to do it. They don’t even field the STAR position every down unlike Miami does with the Striker.

Advertisement
The striker position has had the biggest benefit of getting better, more explosive players closer to the LOS, which was true with Romeo and Gil. Gil was really doing damage early in the season when he was able to use that speed, but it seemed like later on teams were finding ways of motioning to force him to get balanced inside and play more of a traditional LB role (which also had the negative effect of forcing one of our true LBs out in more space, which isn’t a strength for any of them). Baker wasn’t able to adjust and that was another reason we got gashed so badly inside.

The striker position is just a cute way of saying we’re in nickel base defense. Which majority teams stay in these days.
Yeah but our nickel back/striker does not cover the slot receivers. Safeties cover the slot receivers no matter how much of a mismatch it is.

Advertisement
I think the weird alignments where you can see the whole that’s about to get gashed before the ball is snapped is bc of the striker position. The strikers themselves are playing well it’s just the position I don’t like.
We've had alignment problems even when Manny was DC

Against UNC I would’ve like to have seen 5 defensive linemen because it was definitely needed!
We needed gap discipline and defensive “fit” vs. UNC. There were lanes big enough for my slow fat *** to get through. Having a DL coach available that week would help a little bit, also.

Striker isn’t the the issue , it’s gap discipline and running zone all game. Playing for sacks and disruption is cute until offenses counter everything you’re doing. Let’s talk schematics , not a position name that every team uses.
Exactly. BINGO. Also, much of this can be upgraded with Power 5 linebackers which can clean up much of this mess. But Cribs is correct, many successful teams have a Striker constantly loading gaps consistently play after play promotes scheming against this. With the new DL coach, who has success at the NFL and 2018 Canes DL, we should fix this. Also, TRob will have TS and other CBs playing man up much more than before. I am encouraged. Thus, unlike the clown *** poster who argues that Manny's scheme is wrong, I counter that this has been a highly successful scheme, but as Cribs has stated, we need changes to the execution of the scheme. With these two new hires, these changes will occur.

Advertisement
We need a DC that runs a multiple defense like the good teams in cfb with real defenses. Bama is either going to show a 3-4 hybrid look with a STAR on the field, or a 4-3 hybrid look with their JACK lber on the field.

Show me one time where Alabama’s defense looked stupid lining up on the field the way ours do? They have a STAR position but they don’t play theirs the way Diaz does the Striker position. Every time Alabama lines up their defense looks like a shell not exposing any wholes before the ball is snapped..

When our defense lines up with the Striker spread out of the camera view and Two LBers that look lost ready to get knocked out of the way by the oline, you see immediate wholes on the strong side, in the middle, and the weak side of the field before the ball is snapped.
I don't disagree with that.
We are a very vanilla defense.
I know for a fact that I run more stuff on the high school level. LOL

It kind of lost its mystique the last 3 years. It was fun as **** when we were whipping ND and VT and forcing a **** ton of turnovers.

The 7-6, 6-7, and then the lack of turnovers this year just kinda ruined it.
Honestly, I would be happy if they only broke it out for big games; like a Top 25 matchup, ACC Championship, or Playoff/Championship game.

Make it special.

Touchdown rings can GTFO.

I don't disagree with that.
We are a very vanilla defense.
I know for a fact that I run more stuff on the high school level. LOL

see That’s exactly what I’m talking about smh I’m not a **** fb coach but I know some bs when I see it.

Advertisement
Back