The End of the Striker position

The Football IQ on this board is equivalent to a 20 year old who reads at a 2nd level..this ***** really said he wants to see “4 linebackers” then will be the first to ask why we have Rush backer covering the slot. Or “we don’t have enough speed”.. he literally trashed Dnos D a sentence before clamoring about wanting to see a 3/4 or 4/4 look. Please please show me one program who EVER has 4 LBs on the field at the same time in 2020..then my fav part, he ask for a rover..someone plz let OP a striker is equivalent to a rover/star position/buck/cat or whatever cute nickname a coordinator decides to come up with instead of a 3rd safety on the field..lord help us

Advertisement
the play caller is the problem. We also play way more zone than we did when manny was DC, partly because of baker's tendencies but also because of CB talent

Manny goes back to calling plays and gets baker out or let's him play on the sideline somewhere idc, and his more traditional man concepts, we'll be fine
Our cbs the last 2 szns are not suited to play man all game

ohio state has far better linebackers than us and they got bent over a barrel when they went 4-4-3 against bama.
If I’m not mistaken OSU runs a variation of a 4-2-5 but personnel wise they use 2 space eaters, 2 thumpers behind them and hybrid Rush LBs..with a lot of C1..ive never in my life heard of a 4-4-3..but hey maybe I’m wrong

Facts. We’re on the right track on D but missing the basic philosophical football stuff. Need an old school smash mouth football coach to come in and make tweaks to what manny already does.

Instill some gap integrity in our run D and some overall discipline in our blitz and zone coverages. We’re definitely gonna play more bump and run with Trob. He didn’t come here to coach 65% zone defense.
This^^. That UNC fiasco had little to with scheme and more about basic gap and edge control. 15 and 2 were getting way to far up field on a lot of those outside runs instead of leveling off and setting a hard edge. Was way to much hero ball. DT were getting caught with pads vertical to the LOS. LBs running sideways towards the Los and getting cut easily. It was a fundamental **** show. Is that scheme or a bad Saturday🤷🏾‍♂️

Just look at the UNC game to see how slow our Safeties are to react.

A GOOD, well coached Safety can stop a RB that's gotten through the 1st 2 levels of a defense at 8 yards, while our Safeties were just making their moves when UNC's RBs had already picked up 12-15 yds..
That same coach coached Carter/Jenkins. Redwine/Quan. And the last thing a DC wants is his Safties flying up field. I said this in 17, Quan erased a ton of chunk plays with solid open field tackling. In 19 Hall was trending that way as well late in the szn

Advertisement
this thread is like a greatest hits of the idiotic side of our fan base.
If I’m not mistaken OSU runs a variation of a 4-2-5 but personnel wise they use 2 space eaters, 2 thumpers behind them and hybrid Rush LBs..with a lot of C1..ive never in my life heard of a 4-4-3..but hey maybe I’m wrong
4-4-3 was really popular against option teams/3 yards and a cloud of dust offenses back when oklahoma and nebraska were dominating (because linebackers then were built to run in a straight line to fill gaps). for whatever reason there was a stretch where osu played 4 down linemen with 4 backers against bama the other night, and even the commentary was confused about why they'd even try it because they were getting torched.

this thread is like a greatest hits of the idiotic side of our fan base.

4-4-3 was really popular against option teams/3 yards and a cloud of dust offenses back when oklahoma and nebraska were dominating (because linebackers then were built to run in a straight line to fill gaps). for whatever reason there was a stretch where osu played 4 down linemen with 4 backers against bama the other night, and even the commentary was confused about why they'd even try it because they were getting torched.
Ok so it’s just a 4-4..smh my dumb *** missed that correlation 😂

The Football IQ on this board is equivalent to a 20 year old who reads at a 2nd level..this ***** really said he wants to see “4 linebackers” then will be the first to ask why we have Rush backer covering the slot. Or “we don’t have enough speed”.. he literally trashed Dnos D a sentence before clamoring about wanting to see a 3/4 or 4/4 look. Please please show me one program who EVER has 4 LBs on the field at the same time in 2020..then my fav part, he ask for a rover..someone plz let OP a striker is equivalent to a rover/star position/buck/cat or whatever cute nickname a coordinator decides to come up with instead of a 3rd safety on the field..lord help us

The striker can be “equivalent“ doesn’t mean it’s equal or being used the same way bc it’s not... I’ve seen other teams with better defenses line up and how their rover or star is used more effectively and it’s not close. See your problem is you think I’m as dumb as you that’s why we can’t understand each other.

I am highly disappointed with the amount of ppl still defending this weak *** striker position after watching UNC and OK State smh 🤦🏽‍♂️

Advertisement
The striker can be “equivalent“ doesn’t mean it’s equal or being used the same way bc it’s not... I’ve seen other teams with better defenses line up and how their rover or star is used more effectively and it’s not close. See your problem is you think I’m as dumb as you that’s why we can’t understand each other.
😂 you understood well enough to respond directly to my point..so I guess u also speak the language of the dumb..and maybe, just maybe what you saw from other teams was better players at that position..I know, that’s a Krazy conclusion to make

Manny‘s Defensive scheme is trash it’s only better than D’onfrios by default. With that being said How will our defense look without the Striker position?

We need a defense that’s multiple and not running out of the same stupid looking formation every snap >>> I’m looking at u Manny 🤡. I want to see 4 LBers when needed, 4 CBs when needed, Two safeties and a Rover when needed.

Thoughts?
Striker is nothing more then the weak side linebacker backed in the day think they referred to as the Will

Advertisement
The striker position is just a cute way of saying we’re in nickel base defense. Which majority teams stay in these days.
Interesting when Houston came to town averaging like a 100 points per game, we stay in our 4-3 and had linebackers running with their WR

Advertisement
Gil was by no means a great player last season but he was better than everyone not named Bolden and Couch in the back 7. We would get rid of his position why exactly? The striker position isn’t the problem. Rushing guys upfield with reckless abandon and no gap integrity on 100% of plays is the problem.

Advertisement
Back