The Defensive Line Rotation Could Get Big

PittsburghCane

Redshirt Freshman
With Alabama presenting the largest and most NFL offensive line Miami will see all year, I wonder what the rotation on the defensive line may play out as. It feels as though there are two distinct ways Diaz can go with the rotations on the line, big, or fast.

With Bryce Young playing his first real college game, Miami will want to keep him rattled and uncomfortable. The number two position in football is pass rusher and Miami will want to attack the Alabama line with there more aggressive pass rushers simultaneously. This is not to say we are going full Nascar like we had mentioned in years past, but a 4 man front of Harvey, Nesta, Hunte and Chantz Williams could do well to test and stretch the offensive lines pocket and conditioning.

Conversely, if Miami has success against the pass with its speed, it'll need a large front that not only can be stout against the run but also provide requisite athleticism when the play action fakes and power spread try to reply to the speed rush. An intriguing four man front here could have Nesta and Miller in the middle, with Jordan giving more size than Hunte but still a quality step into the backfield. On the edges, I'd like to see Roberts use his size and athleticism on the edge to help the run while keeping a respectable amount of athleticism, and on the weak side, free from tight end, Leonard Taylor can bring his unique blend of talent to a large formation and really give a unique look to the offense.

Would love to hear what y'all think the front looks will be going int o Bama and what we think will or won't work.

Advertisement
1628913958812.gif

Its a fascinating and important topic. The thing is I have no clue what we are going to do in terms of personnel. We will most likely have the 4 projected starters open the game and adjust accordingly from there. If the staff feels that Bama will try to pound us out of the gate then I would expect a bigger DL to match up with Elijah Roberts and Maybe Leonard Taylor in the mix. Barring injury what I believe will happen is that from game 1 Leonard Taylor will immediately prove that he is much too valuable to be on the bench. He may be a true freshman that is far from being a finished product in terms of technique and knowledge of the scheme but his physical and athletic skills are rare and invaluable.

I would expect for us to rotate liberally in order to keep fresh as we cannot allow Baga to wear us down. The entire 2 deep and more will play vs Baga. I would expect to open with Harvey/Silvera/Harrison Hunte/Johnson with Chantz W/Ford/Miller/McCloud right behind and Ill expect to see Roberts/Taylor integrated somehow. We just need a great game plan and we need to be ourselves on defense and do what we do best. If we can get to Bryce Young and make him uncomfortable then we can stay in this game.

To me however the key to this game will be stopping the run. Saban isn't going to try to reinvent the wheel. He knows he has a true freshman quarterback making his 1st career start against a good team who went 8-3 last year and returns 87% of their defensive production while facing a seasoned veteran QB in 5th year senior King who leads an offense bring back 93% of last year's production. All that to say that Saban/O'Brien are going to keep it simple to see if we can stop the run and if we can't then they will mercilessly pound us all day. For us to have any chance at all in this game we have to be able to stop the run or at least prevent Baga from running wild. I don't expect to completely shut them down but we need to prove that we can get stops and get them off the field somewhat consistently.

The above brings me to the point that the LBs are going to be crucial to our overall defensive performance and any success we hope to have. This is the group I am truly concerned about. As much as I respect the kid I don't think that Flagg at MLB will be a good matchup for us. I am a big fan of Keontra Smith but I am concerned that Baga will exploit his lack of size at Will. We need size plus speed and athleticism at LB to really matchup with a team like Bama. It would be nice if Sam Brooks, Avery Huff and Tirek Austin Cave were ready to play a significant number of snaps but I doubt that is the case. They may have to anyway. I don't want to have to rely on Jennings and Steed to play the bulk of the snaps. They have the most experience but the injuries they endured were severe and Im not sure that either will ever be at the level they were before. Im pulling for them but I think that the most likely scenario will be for 5 or 6 to rotate throughout the game. A combination of Smith, Flagg, Jennings, Steed, Brooks and Huff. We desperately need a couple of LBs to emerge from Fall camp as the undisputed alphas of the group. I wouldn't hold my breath though. It would be potentially disastrous for the LB corps to not show any progress or development after an entire off-season. Especially coming off of the disgraceful and pitiful performance of last year.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Saban will probably just keep it simple. The world saw what UNC did to us on the ground last year. Why put any pressure on his young QB? Off the rip, we will receive a heavy dose of ground & pound, quick short passes to RB’s, and screens. Offensively, they will test us up front and see if we can compete. Gotta pass that test first, or it could get ugly. That’s when he’ll open it up and let Bryce get loose. They would love to embarrass us on a National stage and put out any fires that we have created on the recruiting trail.
First half, we gotta get in the phone booth with these boys, lock up and bang it out. Prove we belong to be there. The longer we keep it close, the more pressure that young QB will feel. 🙌🏿

Advertisement
Rotation a key , I would even go as far as practicing it running on and off the field.
BAMA will go hurry up for sure only they feel we’re getting a serious push up front.

Many times in the pass we’d ***** it up with 12 men on the field .

Coaches need there rotation players at there hip by just yelling one word or not even that as the whistle blows we’re already 1/2 way on the field and off.

I would dedicate at practice time for this rotation every single day even study it on practice film.

This rotation may be the key , the edge we’re looking for 🙌

Be masterful in this our game plan on both sides of the ball.

We may have something HUGE here , I like it a LOT 🙌🙌🙌

GOCANES

With Alabama presenting the largest and most NFL offensive line Miami will see all year, I wonder what the rotation on the defensive line may play out as. It feels as though there are two distinct ways Diaz can go with the rotations on the line, big, or fast.

With Bryce Young playing his first real college game, Miami will want to keep him rattled and uncomfortable. The number two position in football is pass rusher and Miami will want to attack the Alabama line with there more aggressive pass rushers simultaneously. This is not to say we are going full Nascar like we had mentioned in years past, but a 4 man front of Harvey, Nesta, Hunte and Chantz Williams could do well to test and stretch the offensive lines pocket and conditioning.

Conversely, if Miami has success against the pass with its speed, it'll need a large front that not only can be stout against the run but also provide requisite athleticism when the play action fakes and power spread try to reply to the speed rush. An intriguing four man front here could have Nesta and Miller in the middle, with Jordan giving more size than Hunte but still a quality step into the backfield. On the edges, I'd like to see Roberts use his size and athleticism on the edge to help the run while keeping a respectable amount of athleticism, and on the weak side, free from tight end, Leonard Taylor can bring his unique blend of talent to a large formation and really give a unique look to the offense.

Would love to hear what y'all think the front looks will be going int o Bama and what we think will or won't work.
OUR DL faces a pretty big OL everyday in practice.

Bama
LT Evan Neal 6'6 350
OG Javion Cohen 6'4 320
C Chris Owens 6'2 310
OG Emil Ekiyor 6'3 324
RT Kendall Randol 6'3 298

UM
  • LT: Zion Nelson 6'5 320
  • LG: Jalen Rivers 6'5 325
  • C: Corey Gaynor 6'4 308
  • RG: Navaughn Donaldson 6'5 350
  • RT: Delone Scaife 6'3 306 or Jarrid Williams 6'6 310

Advertisement
Great topic for discussion OP. As most of us know, the game is won at the line of scrimmage. My guess is that Saban will run behind his star studded OL and the horse of a running back in Robinson who's 230 lbs and runs like a deer. Add a bulky TE in Latu (260lbs) who could be used as a 6th blocker on the line. I also expect to see lots of two TE sets with Tennison and Billingsley being utilized. I think Saban looks at Miami and says we will play power smash football. Sprinkle some bubbles, play action and misdirection throws for Bryce Young to get comfortable and then the occasional shot downfield to Metchie.

For Miami, I see Manny coming in over-confident and will start with his base 4-3 (God, I pray not). If so, I expect some gashes right up the middle to start the game. Hope I'm wrong here, but until some of the well known household names prove me something in a big game, I'm not getting to jacked up for a different outcome. If this does happen, I hope Manny and staff quickly adjust and load the **** box! Play your hand, but **** don't get run out of the building in the first half. Force Young to beat you and not the power runs that will rip your heart out.

Miami has the depth and experience up front to make it competitive and perhaps shock the the college football world. Let's hope the offseason has been great for these big hogs and they're coming into the game mentally and physically ready to go.

Can't wait for the game. Let's go Canes!!

Bama is breaking in 2-3 new starters on their O-Line and a new QB. Expect lots of blitzing, stunts, switching from man to zone, and everything else we can throw at them!

We have all of our scholarships plus covid rules players which gives us a LOT of bodies to rotate in and out.

Every man on deck!!!
Let's roll their *** right out of ATL!!!

Advertisement
I feel good about our tackles and their ability to penetrate and rattle Young. However, for the first time in several years, the DEs worry me....a lot. If Baga's tackles manhandle our ends (quite possible) and the interior of the offensive line does a decent job against our tackles, then Manny will blitz to generate pressure and that could be very problematic.

We need to stop the run. Young is a new QB and he never played meaningful snaps. So even though he is talented we must make him show it by stopping the run. Easier said than done. But bigger way to out pressure on him is our offense putting up points

Great posts in this thread. Enjoyed reading them and y’all getting me pumped 😂

Between Manny, Shoop, Simpson, Ed Reed, TRob and some advice from JimmyJ, we should see a great game plan, now can the players execute it is another thing. But for me, I’d like to see a progressive scheme and game-plan w/adjustments rolled out for this game. That’s most important for me. It’s time for our coaching to improve as well (not just a expectation of player improvement) especially in big games. Shoop needs to earn his keep in this game.

If we perform good in this game Patke deserves some credit as well. I’m surprised many Canes fans don’t notice the pattern of us justifiably having a view of our weakest position group during the off-season and then that very group exceeds our expectations during the season. I’m expecting the LBs to show up this season. Our teams are very externally motivated, when they get counted out they show up. Overall we have to get back to believing in ourselves and doing the work regardless of what the outside sentiment is.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back