The Defensive Line Rotation Could Get Big

Advertisement
Bama's current leader at RT Kendall Randolph is not a large man at 6'4 298. I'd like to see Taylor and Roberts play some DE because it could be their fastest way onto the field but we may not be so out-classed aside from whoever lines up across from Evan Neal. It's an experienced but not huge OL by their standards.

LT Neal 6/7 350 - 3rd year

LG Cohen 6'4 305 - 2nd year

C Owens 6'3 305 - 6th year

RG Ekiyor 6'3 320 - 4th year

RT Randolph 6'4 298 - 5th year

Cohen,Owens and Randolph are downgrades from what they had last year. They aren't as big or as talented as last year and with it being the first game we need to take advantage of that. We need to play all 10 of our dl and rotate them as much as we can especially early on. I'd like to see us try and push the pocket instead of trying to penetrate. Keep young from getting outside the tackles and suffocate him. Make him see over the dl and get our hands up and knock a few passes down. Make those windows hard to see.

Advertisement
Its a fascinating and important topic. The thing is I have no clue what we are going to do in terms of personnel. We will most likely have the 4 projected starters open the game and adjust accordingly from there. If the staff feels that Bama will try to pound us out of the gate then I would expect a bigger DL to match up with Elijah Roberts and Maybe Leonard Taylor in the mix. Barring injury what I believe will happen is that from game 1 Leonard Taylor will immediately prove that he is much too valuable to be on the bench. He may be a true freshman that is far from being a finished product in terms of technique and knowledge of the scheme but his physical and athletic skills are rare and invaluable.

I would expect for us to rotate liberally in order to keep fresh as we cannot allow Baga to wear us down. The entire 2 deep and more will play vs Baga. I would expect to open with Harvey/Silvera/Harrison Hunte/Johnson with Chantz W/Ford/Miller/McCloud right behind and Ill expect to see Roberts/Taylor integrated somehow. We just need a great game plan and we need to be ourselves on defense and do what we do best. If we can get to Bryce Young and make him uncomfortable then we can stay in this game.

To me however the key to this game will be stopping the run. Saban isn't going to try to reinvent the wheel. He knows he has a true freshman quarterback making his 1st career start against a good team who went 8-3 last year and returns 87% of their defensive production while facing a seasoned veteran QB in 5th year senior King who leads an offense bring back 93% of last year's production. All that to say that Saban/O'Brien are going to keep it simple to see if we can stop the run and if we can't then they will mercilessly pound us all day. For us to have any chance at all in this game we have to be able to stop the run or at least prevent Baga from running wild. I don't expect to completely shut them down but we need to prove that we can get stops and get them off the field somewhat consistently.

The above brings me to the point that the LBs are going to be crucial to our overall defensive performance and any success we hope to have. This is the group I am truly concerned about. As much as I respect the kid I don't think that Flagg at MLB will be a good matchup for us. I am a big fan of Keontra Smith but I am concerned that Baga will exploit his lack of size at Will. We need size plus speed and athleticism at LB to really matchup with a team like Bama. It would be nice if Sam Brooks, Avery Huff and Tirek Austin Cave were ready to play a significant number of snaps but I doubt that is the case. They may have to anyway. I don't want to have to rely on Jennings and Steed to play the bulk of the snaps. They have the most experience but the injuries they endured were severe and Im not sure that either will ever be at the level they were before. Im pulling for them but I think that the most likely scenario will be for 5 or 6 to rotate throughout the game. A combination of Smith, Flagg, Jennings, Steed, Brooks and Huff. We desperately need a couple of LBs to emerge from Fall camp as the undisputed alphas of the group. I wouldn't hold my breath though. It would be potentially disastrous for the LB corps to not show any progress or development after an entire off-season. Especially coming off of the disgraceful and pitiful performance of last year.

Yep first half run run run... Can our LB shed blocks and make the tackles and can our DEs contain or are they uphill on every play leaving lanes big enough for any one to walk thru.

Great topic for discussion OP. As most of us know, the game is won at the line of scrimmage. My guess is that Saban will run behind his star studded OL and the horse of a running back in Robinson who's 230 lbs and runs like a deer. Add a bulky TE in Latu (260lbs) who could be used as a 6th blocker on the line. I also expect to see lots of two TE sets with Tennison and Billingsley being utilized. I think Saban looks at Miami and says we will play power smash football. Sprinkle some bubbles, play action and misdirection throws for Bryce Young to get comfortable and then the occasional shot downfield to Metchie.

For Miami, I see Manny coming in over-confident and will start with his base 4-3 (God, I pray not). If so, I expect some gashes right up the middle to start the game. Hope I'm wrong here, but until some of the well known household names prove me something in a big game, I'm not getting to jacked up for a different outcome. If this does happen, I hope Manny and staff quickly adjust and load the **** box! Play your hand, but **** don't get run out of the building in the first half. Force Young to beat you and not the power runs that will rip your heart out.

Miami has the depth and experience up front to make it competitive and perhaps shock the the college football world. Let's hope the offseason has been great for these big hogs and they're coming into the game mentally and physically ready to go.

Can't wait for the game. Let's go Canes!!
I agree with you on the game plan for Saban. I would run the ball down our throat until we prove we can stop them. As for Manny coming in over-confident against Saban???? Manny clearly knows what their run game can do to us. I think he will be more focused on stopping the run and implement a lot of run blitzes to help the linebackers. Let Bryce beat you if he can.

They aren’t any bigger than a typical d line just better.
The only bigger (maybe better or close) is Oklahoma, but you right not the absolute biggest.

Attachments

• 74434BBE-8A9E-463B-A44C-2480EE5F3660.jpeg
    74434BBE-8A9E-463B-A44C-2480EE5F3660.jpeg
    631.6 KB · Views: 59
Advertisement
OUR DL faces a pretty big OL everyday in practice.

Bama
LT Evan Neal 6'6 350
OG Javion Cohen 6'4 320
C Chris Owens 6'2 310
OG Emil Ekiyor 6'3 324
RT Kendall Randol 6'3 298

UM
  • LT: Zion Nelson 6'5 320
  • LG: Jalen Rivers 6'5 325
  • C: Corey Gaynor 6'4 308
  • RG: Navaughn Donaldson 6'5 350
  • RT: Delone Scaife 6'3 306 or Jarrid Williams 6'6 310
Good call out man!!! We’re getting back to being our own biggest challenge on greentree.

With Alabama presenting the largest and most NFL offensive line Miami will see all year, I wonder what the rotation on the defensive line may play out as. It feels as though there are two distinct ways Diaz can go with the rotations on the line, big, or fast.

With Bryce Young playing his first real college game, Miami will want to keep him rattled and uncomfortable. The number two position in football is pass rusher and Miami will want to attack the Alabama line with there more aggressive pass rushers simultaneously. This is not to say we are going full Nascar like we had mentioned in years past, but a 4 man front of Harvey, Nesta, Hunte and Chantz Williams could do well to test and stretch the offensive lines pocket and conditioning.

Conversely, if Miami has success against the pass with its speed, it'll need a large front that not only can be stout against the run but also provide requisite athleticism when the play action fakes and power spread try to reply to the speed rush. An intriguing four man front here could have Nesta and Miller in the middle, with Jordan giving more size than Hunte but still a quality step into the backfield. On the edges, I'd like to see Roberts use his size and athleticism on the edge to help the run while keeping a respectable amount of athleticism, and on the weak side, free from tight end, Leonard Taylor can bring his unique blend of talent to a large formation and really give a unique look to the offense.

Would love to hear what y'all think the front looks will be going int o Bama and what we think will or won't work.
They may not need to pass the ball. Saban will test us early by setting the tone and try to break our will by strength in running down our throats. I’d be more focused gap control then penetration especially on early downs.

If we lose this game it’s not gonna be by just lining up and letting them pound us

Manny leaves a lot to be desired but he’s not going to go down without taking his swings

May not ultimately matter but I expect Manny to be pretty aggressive

Jordan Miller will benefit from having coach Simpson back. Its his time to show he can be an integral part of this DT rotation. Ford, Nesta, Miller and JHH. Not a bad 2 deep. Roberts and LT should get reps. Let's see what they can do against the Bama machine.
It’s great that 3 of the four are 4 or 5th year guys and JHH is a 3rd year guy and happens to be the most talented. I’m concerned about it he DEs getting worked by their tackles though.

Advertisement
It’s great that 3 of the four are 4 or 5th year guys and JHH is a 3rd year guy and happens to be the most talented. I’m concerned about it he DEs getting worked by their tackles though.
Evan Neal will be a handful for whatever DE lines up against him. This is the money year for Ford. He had the size and strength. I’ve been patiently waiting for his breakout year. He had a lot of hype coming in as a freshman. He needs to be disruptive and not just occupy space. I need to hear his name mentioned during games this year.

I love the ideas around the return to a better rotation on the DL. Remember also going back to Manny days as coordinator he had a better time against the run, I think he only had one game as a coordinator giving up 200 yards with the Canes and then like 1-2 with Miss St and UT. So he traditionally is very good against the run.

I think the disconnect was between Baker and Stroud, two coaches now in different roles after UNC and 2020.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see us do much better against Bamas run game now back in Manny’s D with Simpson and also a secondary coach that preaches activity in tackling like TROB.

With Alabama presenting the largest and most NFL offensive line Miami will see all year, I wonder what the rotation on the defensive line may play out as. It feels as though there are two distinct ways Diaz can go with the rotations on the line, big, or fast.

With Bryce Young playing his first real college game, Miami will want to keep him rattled and uncomfortable. The number two position in football is pass rusher and Miami will want to attack the Alabama line with there more aggressive pass rushers simultaneously. This is not to say we are going full Nascar like we had mentioned in years past, but a 4 man front of Harvey, Nesta, Hunte and Chantz Williams could do well to test and stretch the offensive lines pocket and conditioning.

Conversely, if Miami has success against the pass with its speed, it'll need a large front that not only can be stout against the run but also provide requisite athleticism when the play action fakes and power spread try to reply to the speed rush. An intriguing four man front here could have Nesta and Miller in the middle, with Jordan giving more size than Hunte but still a quality step into the backfield. On the edges, I'd like to see Roberts use his size and athleticism on the edge to help the run while keeping a respectable amount of athleticism, and on the weak side, free from tight end, Leonard Taylor can bring his unique blend of talent to a large formation and really give a unique look to the offense.

Would love to hear what y'all think the front looks will be going int o Bama and what we think will or won't work.
To piggy back off of this great post, I'd like to see 3 dt's playing to take away the run game. We need to take one or the other away from them. I would prefer to take away the run if possible.

Advertisement
They may not need to pass the ball. Saban will test us early by setting the tone and try to break our will by strength in running down our throats. I’d be more focused gap control then penetration especially on early downs.
There is zero reason for them to pass. We put fvking Mcloud on the DL with our patchwork LBs.. sorry but Bama is going to pound the rock.

Advertisement
Back