The Danger of Letting Your New HC Coach His Old Team's Bowl

It's worse. Virginia is not mid Atlantic. It's Southern.

Charlottesville is definitely Southern and you'd better not forget it. In nearby Lexington, at Washington & Lee University, you can still see Robert E. Lee's horse, Traveler, stuffed and mounted in an on campus museum.

It only in the close suburbs of DC and in heavily African American Richmond and Newport News that the area can be called Mid Atlantic.

Advertisement

C'mon now.

View attachment 34526

I've lived in Northern Virginia by D.C., Virginia Beach and now Richmond. Richmond and Charlottesville are establishment Southern, Northern Virginia is Mid-Atlantic/D.C., Virginia Beach is Carolina beach Mid-Atlantic and the rest of it ranges from Southern to hillbilly. That's the take of a guy born and raised in the MIA, living in Virginia. It's almost as diverse a state as Florida

BYU is on pace to lose 140-0 to Utah. I know it's narrow vision to place too much emphasis on one game but it still can't be encouraging for UVa fans checking out Bronco Mendenhall for the first time.

Actually quite the opposite if you read the game summary and storyline.

35-0 at the end of the 1st quarter. Oh well, I guess the "Hoos" can take solace that BYU didn't quit on him like he quit on them.

LOL, you're reaching at best. How exactly did he quit on them? By staying and coaching the bowl game???

Nah, just by leaving. Not blaming him but I'm sure if you play for BYU they might view it as quitting on them. He's leaving for Virginia. It's probably not viewed as a marquee program/major upgrade in their eyes.

BYU is on pace to lose 140-0 to Utah. I know it's narrow vision to place too much emphasis on one game but it still can't be encouraging for UVa fans checking out Bronco Mendenhall for the first time.

35-0 at the end of the 1st quarter. Oh well, I guess the "Hoos" can take solace that BYU didn't quit on him like he quit on them.

LOL, you're reaching at best. How exactly did he quit on them? By staying and coaching the bowl game???

Nah, just by leaving. Not blaming him but I'm sure if you play for BYU they might view it as quitting on them. He's leaving for Virginia. It's probably not viewed as a marquee program/major upgrade in their eyes.

I view it a bit different. He stayed because he was vested in them. Had he bailed right after the offer I would agree with your point. It doesn't gain him a thing staying and coaching the bowl game.

C'mon now.

View attachment 34526

Charlottesville is definitely Southern and you'd better not forget it. In nearby Lexington, at Washington & Lee University, you can still see Robert E. Lee's horse, Traveler, stuffed and mounted in an on campus museum.

It only in the close suburbs of DC and in heavily African American Richmond and Newport News that the area can be called Mid Atlantic.

I'm from Miami and I live in Richmond. Richmond is establishment Southern bordering on Atlantic and Charlottesville is establishment Southern. In Hampton Roads, much of Norfolk, Newport News, Portsmouth and Hampton are predominantly African American... Virginia Beach has a Carolina type of beach vibe and Suffolk is southern. Northern Virginia is basically D.C..

Advertisement

C'mon now.

View attachment 34526

I'm from Miami and I live in Richmond. Richmond is establishment Southern bordering on Atlantic and Charlottesville is establishment Southern. In Hampton Roads, much of Norfolk, Newport News, Portsmouth and Hampton are predominantly African American... Virginia Beach has a Carolina type of beach vibe and Suffolk is southern. Northern Virginia is basically D.C..

It's a weird state. I think I also read that your largest immigrant block is from El Salvador- which is probably the only state to be able to claim that.

I view it a bit different. He stayed because he was vested in them. Had he bailed right after the offer I would agree with your point. It doesn't gain him a thing staying and coaching the bowl game.

Fair enough. It will be interesting though to see how he does on the East Coast with a BYU heavy staff and mentality.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that UVA is F'd with this hire. The UVA people I know in Richmond were hoping Richt would be their knight in shining armor and couldn't understand why a "Good Christian" like Richt would go to a place like Miami.... like we're beneath them.

Cracks me up. When we played them at Charlottesville, I went and watched those dorks come out on horses with swords and sway arm around shoulder together to their school song... I had my 2 young kids with me and had to explain how this is the corniest sheeeet.

Advertisement
Mark May said he was against letting a HC, who chose to leave his team for another team, coach in the bowl game.

Said he wouldn't like it, as a player. I guess BYU players don't like it, either.

I can't stand that guy but I Agree with him in this

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that UVA is F'd with this hire. The UVA people I know in Richmond were hoping Richt would be their knight in shining armor and couldn't understand why a "Good Christian" like Richt would go to a place like Miami.... like we're beneath them.

Cracks me up. When we played them at Charlottesville, I went and watched those dorks come out on horses with swords and sway arm around shoulder together to their school song... I had my 2 young kids with me and had to explain how this is the corniest sheeeet.

Very very typical of the people in this area. They are basically a bunch of hayseeds who think Miami is as depraved as Las Vegas. Den of sin, drug dealers, foreigners (translation: Full of Jews and Cubans , Mafia types and other dreadful "Yankee trash"). When I decided to go to Miami, everyone told me,"It's an okay school but basically a party school and you don't want to go there". (Like UVA wasn't a campus full of drunken rich brats who couldn't get into Harvard.) Was born not far from there and couldn't get out of that place fast enough after living with its always inebriated fox chaser rich a-holes and its wild hillbilly underclass. Those folks are very weird. Trust me on this. It's like no other place on earth. (Thank God!)
One shining example I can give you as to just how BAD UVA can get : A close HS friend of mine went there and majored in getting wasted all the time until his equally drunken roommate pulled out a pistol one night and started playing Russian Roulette with it. He lost....and my friend had to leave school for a year to seek psychiatric help after witnessing that horrendous sight. I would never, ever have sent a kid of mine to that school.
Mendenhall doesn't know what he's in for but I wouldn't be surprised if he only lasts a couple of years before fleeing back to Utah. The booze scented cloud over the stadium every home game will be enough.

Last edited:

Very very typical of the people in this area. They are basically a bunch of hayseeds who think Miami is as depraved as Las Vegas. Den of sin, drug dealers, foreigners (translation: Full of Jews and Cubans , Mafia types and other dreadful "Yankee trash"). When I decided to go to Miami, everyone told me,"It's an okay school but basically a party school and you don't want to go there". (Like UVA wasn't a campus full of drunken rich brats who couldn't get into Harvard.) Was born not far from there and couldn't get out of that place with it's always inebriated fox chaser rich a-holes and its wild hillbilly underclass. Those folks are very weird. Trust me on this. It's like no other place on earth. (Thank God!)
One shining example I can give you as to just how BAD UVA can get : A close HS friend of mine went there and majored in getting wasted all the time until his equally drunken roommate pulled out a pistol one night and started playing Russian Roulette with it. He lost....and my friend had to leave school for a year to seek psychiatric help after witnessing that horrendous sight. I would never, ever have sent a kid of mine to that school.
Mendenhall doesn't know what he's in for but I wouldn't be surprised if he only lasts a couple of years before fleeing back to Utah.

I'm thankful Mark Richt chose UM and think he will do more for the community than anything else--and I say that also believing he will have us in the conversation for the playoffs year in and year out.

That team really quit on him. Was a complete blow out. They never made an effort to get back in the game.

OP and Mark May have a common genius that all Canes should listen to.

Advertisement

Very very typical of the people in this area. They are basically a bunch of hayseeds who think Miami is as depraved as Las Vegas. Den of sin, drug dealers, foreigners (translation: Full of Jews and Cubans , Mafia types and other dreadful "Yankee trash"). When I decided to go to Miami, everyone told me,"It's an okay school but basically a party school and you don't want to go there". (Like UVA wasn't a campus full of drunken rich brats who couldn't get into Harvard.) Was born not far from there and couldn't get out of that place with it's always inebriated fox chaser rich a-holes and its wild hillbilly underclass. Those folks are very weird. Trust me on this. It's like no other place on earth. (Thank God!)
Mendenhall doesn't know what he's in for but I wouldn't be surprised if he only lasts a couple of years before fleeing back to Utah.

Holy sheeet, that's sad and true. They also had a campus rape thing going on not long ago, not that it doesn't happen elsewhere, but it seemed prevalent there. I'm one of those "Yankee Trash" types born and raised on the Beach... my fam's been there since the 1940's.

I love the horrified looks on their faces when I tell them I'm from the "Deep South... ya know... Miami Beach... deep, deep down south" and nothing wrong with bagels-n-grits with Cuban coffee for breakfast. I get the looks like the judge and jurors in the movie "My Cousin Vinny."

Last edited:
images.jpeg

Holy sheeet, that's sad and true. They also had a campus rape thing going on not long ago, not that it doesn't happen elsewhere, but it seemed prevalent there. I'm one of those "Yankee Trash" types born and raised on the Beach... my fam's been there since the 1940's.

I love the horrified looks on their faces when I tell them I'm from the "Deep South... ya know... Miami Beach... deep, deep down south" and nothing wrong with bagels-n-grits with Cuban coffee for breakfast. I get the looks like the judge and jurors in the movie "My Cousin Vinny."

LMAO! So true!

Advertisement
That team really quit on him. Was a complete blow out. They never made an effort to get back in the game.

If you ever compare me to May again I will spend the rest of my waking hours hunting you down....so I can have a gentlemanly chat as to why that was an unfair and harsh assessment.

It was 35-0 after 1 quarter, bro. Yeah, excuse me for thinking the preppy idiots that ended up in Charlottesville because they were early decision rejected from Cornell might be a little concerned about their hire. I'm pretty sure this board would have burned to the ground if Richt had stayed to coach UGA's bowl and been down 5 tds 15 mins in.

If you ever compare me to May again I will spend the rest of my waking hours hunting you down....so I can have a gentlemanly chat as to why that was an unfair and harsh assessment.

It was 35-0 after 1 quarter, bro. Yeah, excuse me for thinking the preppy idiots that ended up in Charlottesville because they were early decision rejected from Cornell might be a little concerned about their hire. I'm pretty sure this board would have burned to the ground if Richt had stayed to coach UGA's bowl and been down 5 tds 15 mins in.

Ok Ok the Mark May comparison was over the line. LOL But, you did shoot your wad a wee bit early lol and were wrong AF.

Advertisement
Back