The Danger of Letting Your New HC Coach His Old Team's Bowl

Tad Footeball

1996 Interim Big East Conference Commissioner
Premium
BYU is on pace to lose 140-0 to Utah. I know it's narrow vision to place too much emphasis on one game but it still can't be encouraging for UVa fans checking out Bronco Mendenhall for the first time.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Mark May said he was against letting a HC, who chose to leave his team for another team, coach in the bowl game.

Said he wouldn't like it, as a player. I guess BYU players don't like it, either.

They mentioned earlier that Mendenhall told UVa that it was a dealbreaker if he couldn't coach BYU's bowl game. Kinda looks like both parties probably wish they'd have called his bluff.

Mark May said he was against letting a HC, who chose to leave his team for another team, coach in the bowl game.

Said he wouldn't like it, as a player. I guess BYU players don't like it, either.

I agree but having 5 turnovers in the first quarter won't win you many games.

I don't see good things for UVA with this guy. Coaching his old team's bowl game has to take valuable time away from his recruiting efforts. On top of it, I read that he's going to bring most of his BYU staff to UVA. Are they going to run a base 5 db WAC defense? Do they have any ties to recruiting the Mid-Atlantic and East/Southeast? It's not like taking Harbaugh from the West Coast and bringing him to Michigan. What are they selling recruits beyond the academics???

Advertisement
I don't see good things for UVA with this guy. Coaching his old team's bowl game has to take valuable time away from his recruiting efforts. On top of it, I read that he's going to bring most of his BYU staff to UVA. Are they going to run a base 5 db WAC defense? Do they have any ties to recruiting the Mid-Atlantic and East/Southeast? It's not like taking Harbaugh from the West Coast and bringing him to Michigan. What are they selling recruits beyond the academics???

Agreed. I think he's a good enough coach but I too don't necessarily see it translating to success at an East Coast/mid-Atlantic school. Plunking Mr. BYU out of the west and eliminating his inherent recruiting advantages in that region might prove difficult when he's recruiting against several other schools in UVa's area and the Mormon card isn't of much value.

I've heard the guy is going to have an almost entirely Mormon staff in Charlottesville too.

I've heard the guy is going to have an almost entirely Mormon staff in Charlottesville too.

This isn't going to work. There are not many Mormons in that area, and the Southern Baptists (one of the largest denominations) there consider Mormonism a "cult". Don't forget that Pat Robertson and the late Jerry Falwell are both from this area.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Well my original assertion is losing some credence based on Utah choking pretty hard here but I still agree with the notion that Mendenhall might have a tough time in Charlottesville.

BYU is on pace to lose 140-0 to Utah. I know it's narrow vision to place too much emphasis on one game but it still can't be encouraging for UVa fans checking out Bronco Mendenhall for the first time.

Actually quite the opposite if you read the game summary and storyline.

Advertisement
I was shytting a brick when Utah was a possible sun bowl matchup, they are the top tier team that slid late ala Louisville 2013 and was going to be a nightmare for some poor middle of the road team in a bowl game, waasou is such a better matchup

35-0 at the end of the 1st quarter. Oh well, I guess the "Hoos" can take solace that BYU didn't quit on him like he quit on them.

Advertisement
It's worse. Virginia is not mid Atlantic. It's Southern.

C'mon now.

Screenshot_2015-12-19-19-39-41-1.jpg

35-0 at the end of the 1st quarter. Oh well, I guess the "Hoos" can take solace that BYU didn't quit on him like he quit on them.

LOL, you're reaching at best. How exactly did he quit on them? By staying and coaching the bowl game???

Advertisement
Back