The cycle of hope and failure

Moonman

иди нахуй
2004, The CANES fall one win short of the ACC championship. The CANES enter the 2005 season ranked #9 in the preseason AP poll. Nine starters return on defense. At QB, sophomore Kyle Wright is the man. The RB corps is deep amd talented, with South Florida prep stars Tyrone Moss and Charlie Jones stepping into the spotlight. At WR Sinorice Moss, Darnell Jenkins, Ryan Moore and Lance Leggett return. Sophomore Greg Olsen is the starter at TE. Four starters return on the OL. The CANES are expected to be a contender. The season begins with a disappointing loss to fsu. The CANES then string together 8 straight wins and enter late November as the #3 team in the BCS rankings. The season ultimately ends with two losses in the final three games. A 40-3 bowl loss to LSU leads to the firing of a large chunk of the coaching staff. A year later, following a disastrous 7-6 season, head coach Larry Coker is fired.

Enter Randy Shannon. Shannon's first year is a wash. A lack of playmakers on offense and a shaky QB room doom the CANES to their first losing season in a decade. The 2008 CANES show promise. The CANES have a shot at a 10 win season after 5 straight wins in late October, early November. The CANES would lose their final three games and finish 7-6, but the building blocks appear to be in place due to the emergence of the talented 2008 recruiting class. 2009 is an up and down season. The CANES would finish 9-4 but there are hints that the swag may be returning to Coral Gables, beginning with gunslinger and marginal Heisman contender Jacory Harris. The 2010 CANES are talented and confident. What follows is a debacle with embarrassing losses to fsu, usf and notre dame. Shannon is fired.

The Al Golden era begins similar to Shannon. A .500 season in year one. Slight improvement in year two led by another highly talented recruiting class. 2014 would begin with 7 straight wins and see the CANES ranked in the top 10 entering a critical game in Tallahassee against the #3 ranked seminoles. Duke Johnson would suffer a season ending injury in a loss to fsu and the CANES would finish losing 4 of their final 6 games. Golden's final two seasons were forgettable. He would ultimately be fired after an embarrassing 58 point loss to Clemson at home in October.

Mark Richt returns home to Miami! When Richt was hired prior to the 2016 season, I was ecstatic. Richt was a successful coach in the dominant SEC, averaging 9.5 wins in 15 seasons at georgia. He brought credibility to the program. In his first two seasons the CANES would reach several milestones; first bowl win in a decade, first 10 win season since 2003 and the CANES' first trip to the ACC championship game...and then it all fell apart in 2018. In a selfless move, Richt would step down and forgo his remaining salary to avoid firing his son.

Manolo Diaz the don would take the reigns at Miami following a successful stint as Richt's defensive coordinator. Year one, a disappointment. Catastrophic losses to fiu, duke and latech would prompt Manny to fire the entire offensive coaching staff. Year two, with an 8-1 record and a chance at an Orange Bowl berth the CANES would get blown out at home by unc in the final game of the regular season. Manny's chosen replacement at DC Blake Baker has failed him. Baker is demoted and ultimately leaves for lsu.

Here we are. 20 of 22 starters return. Back to back talented recruiting classes and a deep and experienced roster. Can Manny break the cycle in 2021? Or will history repeat itself for the fifth head coach in a row?

Go CANES!

Advertisement
2004, The CANES fall one win short of the ACC championship. The CANES enter the 2005 season ranked #9 in the preseason AP poll. Nine starters return on defense. At QB, sophomore Kyle Wright is the man. The RB corps is deep amd talented, with South Florida prep stars Tyrone Moss and Charlie Jones stepping into the spotlight. At WR Sinorice Moss, Darnell Jenkins, Ryan Moore and Lance Leggett return. Sophomore Greg Olsen is the starter at TE. Four starters return on the OL. The CANES are expected to be a contender. The season begins with a disappointing loss to fsu. The CANES then string together 8 straight wins and enter late November as the #3 team in the BCS rankings. The season ultimately ends with two losses in the final three games. A 40-3 bowl loss to LSU leads to the firing of a large chunk of the coaching staff. A year later, following a disastrous 7-6 season, head coach Larry Coker is fired.

Enter Randy Shannon. Shannon's first year is a wash. A lack of playmakers on offense and a shaky QB room doom the CANES to their first losing season in a decade. The 2008 CANES show promise. The CANES have a shot at a 10 win season after 5 straight wins in late October, early November. The CANES would lose their final three games and finish 7-6, but the building blocks appear to be in place due to the emergence of the talented 2008 recruiting class. 2009 is an up and down season. The CANES would finish 9-4 but there are hints that the swag may be returning to Coral Gables, beginning with gunslinger and marginal Heisman contender Jacory Harris. The 2010 CANES are talented and confident. What follows is a debacle with embarrassing losses to fsu, usf and notre dame. Shannon is fired.

The Al Golden era begins similar to Shannon. A .500 season in year one. Slight improvement in year two led by another highly talented recruiting class. 2014 would begin with 7 straight wins and see the CANES ranked in the top 10 entering a critical game in Tallahassee against the #3 ranked seminoles. Duke Johnson would suffer a season ending injury in a loss to fsu and the CANES would finish losing 4 of their final 6 games. Golden's final two seasons were forgettable. He would ultimately be fired after an embarrassing 58 point loss to Clemson at home in October.

Mark Richt returns home to Miami! When Richt was hired prior to the 2016 season, I was ecstatic. Richt was a successful coach in the dominant SEC, averaging 9.5 wins in 15 seasons at georgia. He brought credibility to the program. In his first two seasons the CANES would reach several milestones; first bowl win in a decade, first 10 win season since 2003 and the CANES' first trip to the ACC championship game...and then it all fell apart in 2018. In a selfless move, Richt would step down and forgo his remaining salary to avoid firing his son.

Manolo Diaz the don would take the reigns at Miami following a successful stint as Richt's defensive coordinator. Year one, a disappointment. Catastrophic losses to fiu, duke and latech would prompt Manny to fire the entire offensive coaching staff. Year two, with an 8-1 record and a chance at an Orange Bowl berth the CANES would get blown out at home by unc in the final game of the regular season. Manny's chosen replacement at DC Blake Baker has failed him. Baker is demoted and ultimately leaves for lsu.

Here we are. 20 of 22 starters return. Back to back talented recruiting classes and a deep and experienced roster. Can Manny break the cycle in 2021? Or will history repeat itself for the fifth head coach in a row?

Go CANES!
The latter.

Advertisement
Richt didn't leave a buyout on the table, quitters don't get buyouts.

If Richt was really selfless, He would've hired a legit OC and not carry this charade that His Son was just in the press box chillin'.

And then with the 2019 recruiting class falling apart, He says that the offense just needs tweakin', yeah right.

Now don't get me wrong, I like Richt, but at times, He could be pretty disingenuous.

Go CANES!

I like Mark Richt the man .. I could not stand Mark Richt the football coach that took the UM football program as a "toy" for his son to try and learn to be a QB coach. It killed the QB room and then the offense. Mark Richt's refusal to hire an OC was selfish.

Advertisement
Its been a 20 year cycle. Insane to think we have been down this long considering the best players in the nation are in our backyard.

Very good synopsis my man, but the ultimate success 10-2 or being average 8-4 will fall squarely on the shoulders of A. OL- B. DL, C. QB and D. WR. That's my order of weakness of this team. King ain't gonna beat any top team with his passing skills.

Very good synopsis my man, but the ultimate success 10-2 or being average 8-4 will fall squarely on the shoulders of A. OL- B. DL, C. QB and D. WR. That's my order of weakness of this team. King ain't gonna beat any top team with his passing skills.

Outside of Alabama, who are these other "top teams" on our schedule that you seem to believe King can't beat because of his "passing skills"?

Advertisement
The fact that you included DL and not LB kills all credibility to your post.

Advertisement
The issue is half of this teams returning players are part of the problem.

Pope
Wiggins
Ivey
McCloud
Jennings
Steed
Ford
Carter
Hall
Gaynor
Scaife
Campbell
Traoure
Clark
Reed

.... these players make our team worse or not live up to expectations. I know we have no choice but to play a couple of these guys on the list like some of the olineman and Hall but if we see this collections of guys on the field bc of Manny Diaz’s bs seniority philosophy then we are going to have another Embarrassingly bad cfb season.

2003 - 2021 mantra:

This year will be different. ______ is in our favor.

* One year we'll be right.
Here's another version:

Our WR room is going to be SICK. We're going to have the best WRs in the country! What program can compete with us at WR?

/entirely based on hype, ratings, expectations ... not at all on proven results
//never true

I appreciate the effort, OP but I’m finding my attention span growing shorter every day. I’ll get to your post eventually.

69A98778-2528-462E-87C2-1CDD21B0819B.gif

Advertisement
Back