The common link among champions

View as article
Advertisement
Can't have fans optimistic on my watch!
SmartSelect_20240125_143928_Video Player.gif

JJ McCarthy is so ordinary it’s crazy

I wouldn’t say ordinary;

He was incredibly efficient throwing for, literally, a hair under 3k on the season, completing 72% of his passes. He accounted for 3100 total yards, 25 TDs to 4 ints. He played complimentary Football in UofM’s offensive scheme.

Teams that have won Nat’l Titles have historically either had

a. A crazy defense + an efficient QB w/ elite running game
b. A crazy explosive offense + an adequate defense
c. A crazy defense + a crazy explosive offense

I’ve yet to find a Nat’l Title team where the defense was all world and the QB play was atrocious or The O was crazy talented and the Defense had more holes in it than a prime Ava Devine.

A great Def & poor QB play may get u to the conference championship game, it may even get u into a NY6 bowl, but that’s it; the same can be said in the reverse.

2001 Hurricanes had an elite def + an efficient QB w/ a strong running game

2002 OSU had an elite Def + an efficient QB w/ a strong running game

2003 LSU had an elite Def + an efficient QB w/ a strong running game

2003 USC had an explosive offense + a solid Def

2004 USC had an explosive offense + an elite Def

2005 Texas had an explosive offense + a solid Def

2006 UF had an explosive offense + a solid Def

2007 LSU had an elite Def + an efficient QB w/ a strong running game

2008 UF had an explosive offense + an elite Def

2009 Bama had an elite Def + an efficient QB w/ a strong running game

2010 Auburn had an elite offense + an elite Def

2011 Bama had an elite Def + an efficient QB w/ a strong running game

2012 Bama had an elite Def + an efficient QB w/ a strong running game

2013 FSU had an explosive Offense + a very solid Def

2014 OSU had an explosive Offense + a very solid Def

2015 Bama had an elite Def + an efficient QB w/ a strong running game

2016 Clemson had an explosive Offense + an elite Defense

2017 Bama had an elite Defense + an efficient QB w/ a strong running game

2018 Clemson had an explosive Offense + an elite Def

2019 LSU had an explosive offense + a very solid Def

2020 Bama had an explosive offense + an elite Def

2021 UGA had an elite Defense + an efficient QB w/ a strong run game

2022 UGA had an elite Defense + an explosive offense

2023 UofM had an elite Defense + an efficient QB w/ a strong run game

U can check the data, but those are the combinations to a Nat’l Championship team. U can’t have just an elite defense along the trenches and have shoddy QB play & a run game that’s mediocre, nor can u just have a video game like O and a porous defense.

However, I will say teams that have the latter will still go far, but there’s a ceiling once u face that elite defense that also can control the clock w/ smart QB play and a strong run game.

JJ McCarthy has elite traits but was hampered by his offense. Put him in a more QB friendly system and his numbers would have been spectacular. Not that his stats at Michigan sucked, it's just hard to put up big numbers when your coaches don't want to throw the ball unless they have to.

JJ McCarthy has elite traits but was hampered by his offense. Put him in a more QB friendly system and his numbers would have been spectacular. Not that his stats at Michigan sucked, it's just hard to put up big numbers when your coaches don't want to throw the ball unless they have to.
Agree to a point but to argue the converse - how much of his efficiency was due to teams loading the box and being worried about getting trampled first?

Advertisement
Football 101: you need good lines at both ends of the ball. We miss the Jerome Brown's, Sapp's, Kennedy's, Maryland's, of the world. We have not produced those kind of players in years. Why do you think the SEC is so strong? Their OL's and DL's are superior to other conferences.
Still apply’s today. Glad we are finally addressing these areas. Need more difference makers at the DL.

And equally true is the following:

- In the last 10 years (2014), the winner has scored 33+ points in all but one National Championship game. The lone exception was Alabama 26-23 over UGA in OT.

- 6/10 games featured the winner scoring 40+.

What positions command the most $ and attention in recruiting? DT absolutely, and D$ is right about that…but right up there is OL, QB, WR.

Quite difficult to win a national championship without an efficient, borderline elite offense. Michigan’s offense wasn’t very elite in some metrics, but it sure was efficient at dominating clock and running the ball.

Advertisement
Some of the on the run lasers he fits in crazy windows is insane. He would thrive in a more pass friendly offense with top end receivers.

I wouldn’t say ordinary;

He was incredibly efficient throwing for, literally, a hair under 3k on the season, completing 72% of his passes. He accounted for 3100 total yards, 25 TDs to 4 ints. He played complimentary Football in UofM’s offensive scheme.

I’ve yet to find a Nat’l Title team where the defense was all world and the QB play was atrocious or The O was crazy talented and the Defense had more holes in it than a prime Ava Devine.

A great Def & poor QB play may get u to the conference championship game, it may even get u into a NY6 bowl, but that’s it; the same can be said in the reverse.

U can check the data, but those are the combinations to a Nat’l Championship team. U can’t have just an elite defense along the trenches and have shoddy QB play & a run game that’s mediocre, nor can u just have a video game like O and a porous defense.

However, I will say teams that have the latter will still go far, but there’s a ceiling once u face that elite defense that also can control the clock w/ smart QB play and a strong run game.
Prime Ava Devine is wild lol 😂. I remember thinking she was the last level boss hoe….the Hoe of hoes lol.

Prime Ava Devine is wild lol 😂. I remember thinking she was the last level boss hoe….the Hoe of hoes lol.

Sheesh; not to derail, but many know I have **** model stories simply b/c one of my homie (my frat brother’s brother) is a legend in the industry. Her stories r wild; she legit wanted to be the sluttiest **** star of all time & agreed to do any and everything. Literally nothing was too extreme for her.

Last edited:
I think he’s a better version of Jordan Miller. I would just like to see a veteran. Need another body there. We are set up nicely with the DE position and I I know Bain can play DT as well when needed.

With that said, we need to address ******* CB. I can’t believe we haven’t done **** there.
We need a "slowdown" corner. Not shutdown, but someone who throws a small wrench into what a QB wants to do. The recipe for that is a speedy CB.

Advertisement
I wouldn’t say ordinary;

Nice work here

Sheesh; not to derail, but many know I have **** model stories simply b/c one of my homies (my frat brother’s brother) is a legend in the industry. Her stories r wild; she legit wanted to be the sluttiest **** star of all time & agreed to do any and everything. Literally nothing was too extreme for her.

And yet there are posters here that would put her slurping to shame… 😈

Sheesh; not to derail, but many know I have **** model stories simply b/c one of my homies (my frat brother’s brother) is a legend in the industry. Her stories r wild; she legit wanted to be the sluttiest **** star of all time & agreed to do any and everything. Literally nothing was too extreme for her.
Hats off to her.

Advertisement
The schedule drops yesterday and we had multiple posters forecasting we’d be 6-6 or 7-5. Yeah the offseason is full of homers, and we need you to remind us to be vigilant.
It's pre-emptive. I've been a fan for a long time. We have a whole off-season to hear how everyone is flying around and coming together plus our cupcake schedule. Everyone including myself will be in board the train by then.

It's pre-emptive. I've been a fan for a long time. We have a whole off-season to hear how everyone is flying around and coming together plus our cupcake schedule. Everyone including myself will be in board the train by then.

I’ll believe it when I see it. This board is full of salty old pirates with peg legs and eye patches who don’t know the meaning of sunshine.

Advertisement
Back