The common link among champions

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
As Miami gets further and further away from its glory days, a question dawned on me: What is the common thread among national champions? In other words, what is keeping Miami from the top?

One theory is that it's quarterback play. But AJ McCarron just won a title, and Matt Mauck and Greg McElroy have rings. Is it coaching? Coker disproves that theory by himself, and Gene Chizik and Les Miles were punchlines until they won it.

So what is the one thing that all college football champions had? It's defensive line. Let's look at the champions since Miami's last title and the talent they had up front (NFL draft round in parenthesis):

2001- William Joseph (1), Vince Wilfork (1), Jerome McDougle (1), Andrew Williams (3)
2002- Will Smith (1), Kenny Peterson (3), Tim Anderson (3), Darrion Scott (3)
2003- Keneche Udeze (1), Mike Patterson (1), Shaun Cody (2), Frostee Rucker (3)
2003- Marcus Spears, (1) Kyle Williams, (5- All Pro), Marquise Hill (2)
2004 - Mike Patterson (1), Shaun Cody (2), Frostee Rucker (3)
2005- Brian Orapko(1), Tim Crowder (2), Brian Robison (4)
2006- Derrick Harvey (1), Jarvis Moss (1), Ray McDonald (3)
2007- Tyson Jackson (1), Glenn Dorsey (1)
2008- Carlos Dunlap (2), Jermaine Cunningham (2)
2009- Marcell Dareus (1), Terrance Cody (2)
2010- Nick Fairley (1)
2011- Courtney Upshaw (2), Jesse Williams (2013 prospect), Damion Square (2013 prospect)

If you look at the 2000 Miami team and the 2001 Miami team, they were very, very close in talent. The only real difference is that the 2001 team had far superior defensive ends, due in large part to Jerome McDougle and Andrew Williams coming in from JUCO. The defensive line took the 2001 team to a whole new level.

Anthony Chickillo looks like a keeper. Guys like Tyriq McCord and Jelani Hamilton will make us or break us.

Advertisement
its all about OL and DL plus quality depth. Coker does not really disprove the coaching part since he waltzed into the best situation in CFB history. Butch put the program in place and recruited all the players. so, the answer is that a mediocre game day coach can win a MNC if they are elite in the recruiting, talent evals, program implementation part

but, why didn't the 2002 team win it? that was an arguably more talented team. I think the poor coaching caught up with

Advertisement
but, why didn't the 2002 team win it? that was an arguably more talented team.

1) The 2002 defensive line got lazy.
2) The Ohio State defensive line was the better unit in the Fiesta Bowl.

common link among the champions is unity, talent, us against the world mentality, talent, good position coaches (we have a solid staff right now, IMO), talent, speed,toughness and athletisicim on defense.

and art kehoe.

lulz

Advertisement
but, why didn't the 2002 team win it? that was an arguably more talented team. I think the poor coaching caught up with

The worst call in CFB history.

The call that is the reason why we have instant replay in CFB.

Excellent OP.

I read somewhere the odds makers look closely at the DL. And, an injury to a strong DL guy affects betting odds second only to QB.

Advertisement

it was the worst call ever, but we had so much more talent all around then OSU it shouldnt have even been close. some real bad calls went our way early in the game as well... so im pretty much tired of and over the whole "call" thing. it was Miami's own fault that there was even an oppertunity to lose that game. after years and years of blaming it on the call, im finally done. we arent getting that one back, we arent 6 time champs, and larry coker still sucks.

I don't think pass interference is a reviewable play, so I am not sure that play is the reason for replay in CFB and even if it was, it wouldnt have made a difference in the game.

it was the worst call ever, but we had so much more talent all around then OSU it shouldnt have even been close. some real bad calls went our way early in the game as well... so im pretty much tired of and over the whole "call" thing. it was Miami's own fault that there was even an oppertunity to lose that game. after years and years of blaming it on the call, im finally done. we arent getting that one back, we arent 6 time champs, and larry coker still sucks.

I am with you on this one and even though I think that the call was bad, the main offense, IMO, was how long it took the ref to make the call. If you watch the play in real time, I can see how the call could go either way, but the worse thing a ref can do is be indecisive and by waiting so long to make the call, that is what the ref came off as. A play that was even worse in my opinion, was the previous 4th down on that series where an OSU WR pushed off on one of our DBs to make the catch and get a 1st down to continue the series. Even before the PI call, I was screaming at my TV b/c the refs didnt call that one.

And either way, we shouldnt have even put ourselves in the position to have 1 or 2 calls effect the outcome of the game.

Advertisement
the call was brutal but the conservative/scared coaching was worse. no way we shoulda lost that game. even with 5 (or whatever) turnovers

I am with you on this one and even though I think that the call was bad, the main offense, IMO, was how long it took the ref to make the call. If you watch the play in real time, I can see how the call could go either way, but the worse thing a ref can do is be indecisive and by waiting so long to make the call, that is what the ref came off as. A play that was even worse in my opinion, was the previous 4th down on that series where an OSU WR pushed off on one of our DBs to make the catch and get a 1st down to continue the series. Even before the PI call, I was screaming at my TV b/c the refs didnt call that one.

And either way, we shouldnt have even put ourselves in the position to have 1 or 2 calls effect the outcome of the game.

Also, didn't the play clock expire on that 4th and 14 as well?

We should have rolled that Ohio St team. 5 TO, McGahee's injury, Sharpe's mistake on 4th and 13, the call. Miami wins that game 8 or 9 out of 10 but that's why you play the games. Miami should really have 7 NCs

Wrong. If the UM D-line had played with passion and effort the game is over. The slow footed OSU QB, burned us on a 4th and 12(or14) with a scramble for a first down. D-Line makes that play, no OT. PLus that penalty call doesn't get called if the D-line sacks the QB on that play.

DMoney is on to something here.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back