Boxing The CIS Boxing Thread

LOL, and Mike was? Bobbin' & weavin' from a stationary position doesn't make you a great defensive fighter. Lenox timed that $h!t up and ******* e d Tyson up!!!

WTF are you talking about. I never said Tyson was top 5 P4P defensive fighter. I said he was the most defensive HW of all time, which he was.

Pernell is arguably the P4P goat defensive fighter. Roy Jones is one of the most gifted fighters of all time. Only a handful of fighters had the speed/power combo to be able to throw double straights.

You have never boxed in your **** life if you think Tyson was just bobbing and weaving in a stationary position. He was closing the distance non stop and using the fighters missed swings to make his punches harder. You need incredible footwork, which tyson had and speed to pull it off. That is why you rarely see big guys pull off this style.

Advertisement
Advertisement
WTF are you talking about. I never said Tyson was top 5 P4P defensive fighter. I said he was the most defensive HW of all time, which he was.

Pernell is arguably the P4P goat defensive fighter. Roy Jones is one of the most gifted fighters of all time. Only a handful of fighters had the speed/power combo to be able to throw double straights.

You have never boxed in your **** life if you think Tyson was just bobbing and weaving in a stationary position. He was closing the distance non stop and using the fighters missed swings to make his punches harder. You need incredible footwork, which tyson had and speed to pull it off. That is why you rarely see big guys pull off this style.
I'll take Salvador Sanchez's Defensive fighting, Footwork & counterpunching over anybody who's ever fought...

87178234_3222583034437176_704287775125405696_n.jpg

Advertisement
Tyson never fought heavyweights the size of these guys that could actually box. It was mostly tomato cans.

He looked like a child against Lennox, Lewis was a lot bigger , taller and a far more talented boxer. Holyfield wasn’t huge but even he was just too much , because he could actually box and wasn’t scared of Tyson.
Some validity to that, I agree. I think any comparison of Mike Tyson to Wilder is silly though. Wilder is the absolute definition of a one trick pony. Mike Tyson was as strong with his left as he was with his right, was unbelievably quick with power combos, could jab well for a guy of his height, and had great ring feel and head movement. He didnt get close to most of his opponents by chance. I see none of that in Wilder. None. Just a wind-up right hand cannon and nothing else. Mike Tyson would present a much greater threat to a guy like Fury than Wilder does. But you are correct that Tyson managed to go almost his entire career without having to square off against true pugilists.

Prime Fury is good enough to give prime 1967 Ali a good fight. That's how good Fury is. Good enough to give the greatest of all time a competitive fight. Ali would likely have won on points, but it would go the distance.

As for Mike Tyson, his style would put him at a massive disadvantage against Fury. Fury would have too much reach, too much defense for Tyson to get the quick KO, and that tended to be his undoing.
agree. fury is very good. i saw chad wilson saying on twitter that lewis, tyson and hollyfield would all easily whip fury. i thought that was absurdly off the mark.

I disagree that heavyweight boxing is that bad now. Wilder isn’t a great boxer but being a one dimensional knock out artist is hardly something new, especially for a heavyweight. And Fury is an elite level technician. He doesn’t get hit hard often and when he does, his chin is solid.
i thought fury had an uncanny ability to create space for his punches by moving wilder's hands apart with one hand and sneaking his jab in between. when he wasn't finessing him he was outright mauling him like a bear. come to think of it it reminded me a little of the Revenant when leo fought the grissley bear. .

Advertisement
Oliver McCall and Hasim Rahman didn't have the skill set of Lennox Lewis, but that didn't stop them from putting him on the mat. And neither of those guys had half the boxing skill, footwork, size, or reach of Tyson Fury. Lennox Lewis wouldn't win one fight in three against Fury. Fury's style is all wrong for Lewis.
He avenged those losses though.

He avenged those losses though.

Doesn't matter, he lost those fights. That's the point. Fury was put on the mat, got up, recovered, and then went on to dominate his fights. Lewis was put on the mat, couldn't get up, couldn't recover, and lost his fights. Fury is still undefeated, and has defeated all comers. Lewis inexplicably lost to a couple of tomato cans he totally outclassed.

Doesn't matter, he lost those fights. That's the point. Fury was put on the mat, got up, recovered, and then went on to dominate his fights. Lewis was put on the mat, couldn't get up, couldn't recover, and lost his fights. Fury is still undefeated, and has defeated all comers. Lewis inexplicably lost to a couple of tomato cans he totally outclassed.
Inexplicably meaning a Heavyweight landing straight on his button. Both punches from McCall and Rahman were beautiful punches. Neither were tomato cans. Lewis would outclass Fury with ease.

Advertisement
Inexplicably meaning a Heavyweight landing straight on his button. Both punches from McCall and Rahman were beautiful punches. Neither were tomato cans. Lewis would outclass Fury with ease.

Poor defense, weak chin, and inability to recover quickly led to those losses. Tyson Fury has displayed no such weaknesses. Two losses to inferior fighters for Lewis, no losses at all for Fury. Lewis would get destroyed by Fury, much like Wilder just did.

Advertisement
Back