The case for Dan Enos

Advertisement
Short answer, he hasn't. That doesn't mean he can't or won't, it just means he didn't at Central Michigan and Bielema didn't want him to at Arkansas.

It's just odd to hire somebody to do something he doesn't naturally want to do.
His offenses aren't running a ton of pre-snap horizontal motion along the line. They aren't running tempo.

We're basically going to have our defensive minded coach force our OC to do what he naturally doesn't want to do?

What? I mean I get you, and that might still be legit, but don’t you want to see how it unfolds?
What waiting for this to unfold to do with making a very logical convincing argument about this man skills and experience?
Nothing in life is guaranteed. But the OP was a very solid convincing argument.

Advertisement
It's just odd to hire somebody to do something he doesn't naturally want to do.
His offenses aren't running a ton of pre-snap horizontal motion along the line. They aren't running tempo.

We're basically going to have our defensive minded coach force our OC to do what he naturally doesn't want to do?

I don't disagree with you necessarily, especially when you look at the other names that were apparently considered for OC (Applewhite, Fedora, Scott, et al). Scheme-wise, Enos certainly seems like the outlier. That said, I think we can run "tempo" of any kind without running Air Raid or Veer or whatever, if that makes sense. I don't think Manny will say "build me a spread offense or your fired" - rather, I think he'll say "build me an offense of aggression and confusion and speed." And that I think Enos can do.

I think ppl are mad at the fact he wasn’t a “known name”. That doesn’t matter. He looks to be like a very very solid QB coach that can develop. JW really needs that. Ppl are also saying oh “Saban must not have wanted him” how do you know? You know that onrey fire breathing telling shtick get old right? Quick to a grown *** man. He could have wanted to leave. Plus he was making 200k at Bama so I doubt we broke the bank. He also has experience coaching RB’s and WR’s. We’ll ultimately see how it shakes out but I think the Diaz Cartel pulled a coup on this one.

I live in Alabama (God help me) and when Enos' name first showed up as a candidate in another thread I kinda brushed it off as a pipe dream. This guy is one of the best football coaches in the country, hands-down. He is a major quarterback whisperer. Everywhere he's gone, the QBs put up ridiculous numbers. At Arkansas he groomed the two Allens (Brandon and Austin) to back-to-back 3000 yard seasons. We all saw what he did with Tua this year, and even had Hurts prepared to step in and win the SEC Championship game - Hurts looked more like a QB in that game than in any other during his career. This guy will get the absolute most out of the QB room.

Further, despite the internet mopery, he does NOT run a plodding offense. Is it "pro-style"? I guess, but a better term might be "power run/vertical pass." Here's a pretty good article on him at Arkansas: https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/a...ielema-plus-enos-match-made-offensive-heaven/

As you can see, Bielema is a run-first coach and so that's what Enos ran there. BUT, you can also see from that article (and others, I'll do a breakdown at some point too) that Enos likes to run out of passing formations and vice-versa. Will he line up in 5-wide sets every down? Probably not, but don't think for a second that this is a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" scheme. QBs have put up gaudy numbers in his offenses - so have running backs - and make no mistake, if Manny wants our offense to run tempo, Enos will run tempo. He's a brilliant offensive mind.

Briefly also, Enos can recruit, has head coaching experience, has been part of a winning and championship-level culture, and was literally on his way to being OC at Alabama before Manny poached him. The Roll Tide-rs down here are in shock that he's leaving. I don't believe the whole "if Saban wanted him he'd still be there" crap. Saban wanted him. So did Kirby. So did a lot of coaches. But he's now the Offensive Coordinator and Quarterbacks Coach at Miami. And yes, in my opinion, it's a home run.

At Bama and at that FCS juggernaut North Dakota State. Great hire!

I think ppl are mad at the fact he wasn’t a “known name”. That doesn’t matter. He looks to be like a very very solid QB coach that can develop. JW really needs that. Ppl are also saying oh “Saban must not have wanted him” how do you know? You know that onrey fire breathing telling shtick get old right? Quick to a grown *** man. He could have wanted to leave. Plus he was making 200k at Bama so I doubt we broke the bank. He also has experience coaching RB’s and WR’s. We’ll ultimately see how it shakes out but I think the Diaz Cartel pulled a coup on this one.

No, people are mad that he doesn't run the scheme Miami fans envisioned. Even those supporting the hire are at least conceding that point.

Advertisement
No, people are mad that he doesn't run the scheme Miami fans envisioned. Even those supporting the hire are at least conceding that point.

That's why I really want to hear from Enos himself as to what exactly Manny wants him to run here.

Something that cant be overstated, IMO - I've read now in several places that at Arkansas, Bielema told Enos what he wanted the offense to do/be and Enos went out and did it, to the tune of 3000 yard passers and 1300 yard rushers in back to back seasons with different personnel. That tells me that he's savvy enough to take what the HC wants to run and put the best version of it out on the field.

Thats his JOB.

Execute the mission and vision the HC puts out.

Advertisement
I don't disagree with you necessarily, especially when you look at the other names that were apparently considered for OC (Applewhite, Fedora, Scott, et al). Scheme-wise, Enos certainly seems like the outlier. That said, I think we can run "tempo" of any kind without running Air Raid or Veer or whatever, if that makes sense. I don't think Manny will say "build me a spread offense or your fired" - rather, I think he'll say "build me an offense of aggression and confusion and speed." And that I think Enos can do.

Sure, but you can do that with anybody. "Hey, I'm going to hire you, but this is what I want you to do. Now go do it." The problem is we are all hoping this 50 year old CAN do it. He can adapt more modern concepts into his offense, because we don't have the overall talent to make his preferred scheme successful.

I'd much rather have hired somebody that is already running what we ideally want.

Well said here. I like this.

Advertisement
Is he going to run a pro-style? I wanted spread.

Well the good thing is we'll be going back to a power blocking scheme.

Like i said, coaches don't succeed by pretending they know everything and hiring yes men. They do so by hiring the best subordinates. When your staff are getting offers from all over thats when Miami is back. Thats when we have teachers, players get developed. Ready for the season

solid hire. I remember watching a bama game earlier this year and Brando was blowing Enos over the QB development there. Obviously he always blows bama for whatever but you could definitely see the difference in Hurts this year when he played...

Advertisement
Back