The Buzz at The Opening

Free article from David Lake at ITU

Here is the latest buzz on some of Miami's top targets and commits from The Opening last week:

The Buzz

• Miami should be credited for discovering what may be the biggest steal in the 2014 recruiting class in quarterback Brad Kaaya. Miami offensive coordinator James Coley was by far the first school to extend Kaaya an offer. Coley offered Kaaya in March and his second offer came from San Diego State one month later. Kaaya, who is from West Hills, California, never received interest from any other major BCS programs and committed to Miami in May. During last week’s Elite 11 competition, which included the 7-on-7 portion of The Opening, Kaaya emerged as one of the top quarterbacks in the country. Kaaya is a prospect that has a ton of potential with all the tools to succeed as a starting quarterback on the next level. Kaaya has great size with a big arm and good accuracy. The Elite 11 coaches also raved about Kaaya’s coachability, his competitiveness, and his mental approach to the game. The 2012 season was Kaaya’s first as a starting quarterback in high school and with the way he has progressed this offseason, he should only continue to get better and have a huge senior season.

• It became clear during the week that Miami is the favorite to land Palm Beach Dwyer receiver Johnnie Dixon with six months until National Signing Day. At The Opening, Dixon named a top two of Miami and Ohio State. He was wearing Miami wristbands during the week and was also seen wearing an Al Golden Football Camp shirt. Miami has made Dixon a top recruiting priority for more than a year now and that attention is paying off. The Hurricanes have been the most consistent team in the recruiting process for Dixon. At The Opening, Dixon got better with each day. He worked out of the slot for his team and was the most utilized receiver on his team while running the short and intermediate routes. At Miami, Dixon would line up on the outside most of the time in a similar role that Phillip Dorsett plays. Miami likes Dixon’s deep speed.

• Miami is also in strong position for cornerback Chris Lammons. His recruitment will likely come down to a Miami-Florida battle. Lammons is very intrigued by the Gators and many of UF’s recruits out at the opening were recruiting him hard for Florida. Anthony Moten, Khairi Clark, and Dalvin Cook in particular were recruiting Lammons hardest. With that said, Miami is showing the most interest at the moment. Lammons is confident he can go to Miami and receive early playing time. Florida is also in very good position for some of the top cornerback prospects in the country in Adoree’ Jackson and Jalen Tabor. The Gators also have commitments from J.C. Jackson and Duke Dawson, who they project as cornerbacks.

• One of the big surprises of the week was DE Chad Thomas, who had the best performance of any defensive end during the linemen drills. Thomas turned his game up against the top competition that The Opening provided and showed quickness and power during the one-on-one drills. His highlight of the week was when he matched up against massive offensive lineman Damien Mama. Thomas bull-rushed the nimble 370 pound offensive lineman and knocked him on his back as he got to the quarterback. Thomas measured in at 6-feet-5 and 240 pounds. He still has plenty of room to put on 20 or 30 pounds at the college level. His recruitment will likely come down to Miami and Florida State and at the moment Miami has the edge. Thomas has been very impressed by the recruiting job Miami has done in their pursuit of him.

• At this point in the recruiting process, there are strong indications that Homestead wide receiver Ermon Lane is leaning toward the University of Florida. Lane received the full court press from all of the Florida commits that were out at The Opening last week, with Dalvin Cook leading the charge. Lane was also on the same team as 2014 Florida commit Will Grier during The Opening and the two had a strong connection on the field. Lane is well aware of Florida’s big need at wide receiver for the 2014 class. He is very confident he can come in and play right away. Lane may make a commitment before or during the 2013 season, but that won’t stop the UM coaching staff from making him a top priority if he doesn’t choose Miami. Lane will be a top priority for the Hurricanes until national signing day.

• Good to see that WR Braxton Berrios received an offer from Miami, which was the school he grew up a big fan of. Berrios is a pesky slot receiver at 5-feet-9 and 180 pounds and is one of the quickest players in the country. Berrios tests off the charts with a 4.48 laser timed 40, a 41-inch vertical jump, and a blazing fast 3.81 short shuttle--which measures quickness. Berrios camped at Miami in late June and won the wide receiver MVP for his performance at the camp. Miami decided to extend an offer to him over the weekend. Miami is now one of the top schools to beat for Berrios along with Kentucky and Clemson. Right now Berrios is crystal balled to Miami by 67 percent. Because of his short area quickness, Berrios is a matchup nightmare for opposing defensive backs. He is always a threat to get open. Miami is looking to fill one slot receiver spot in the 2014 class. Berrios is planning to enroll early in the spring of 2014.

• RB commit Joseph Yearby had a quiet week due to turf toe issues he was dealing with. Yearby is quiet by nature, but he has been recruiting South Florida players to join him at UM. During the week, Yearby had his sights set on Ermon Lane, Chad Thomas, Treon Harris, and teammate Dalvin Cook. Yearby is excited to watch the Hurricanes in 2013 and he expects a very productive attack by the offense.

• OL commit Trevor Darling had a solid week of work overall. He worked at right tackle for much of the week and held his own. Darling will likely move inside to guard at the next level because he lacks the athleticism required to play tackle in college. Darling is big, strong, and plays with a mean streak. You can’t really ask for more in a guard prospect.
http://miami.247sports.com/Board/92/Miami-Recruiting-Buzz-The-Opening-19762664/1

Last edited:
Advertisement
Damnit kinda annoys me to see all those south florida gator commits recruiting for em, good stuff about kaaya, Dixon, berrios and yearby though

Damnit kinda annoys me to see all those south florida gator commits recruiting for em, good stuff about kaaya, Dixon, berrios and yearby though

Forget them if they want to be Gators, we going to show them what's up in September.

''Berrios is a matchup nightmare for opposing defensive backs. He is always a threat to get open. Miami is looking to fill one slot receiver spot in the 2014 class. Berrios is planning to enroll early in the spring of 2014.''

I nightmare for opposing DB's is what I like to see, come on down!

Advertisement
The only guys I'm really interested in "flipping" are Cook and Moten.

Then get Berrios and Dixon to commit, and call it a day.

Lane is starting to sound like more and more of a headache to me as each day goes by.

Clark I'm indifferent about.

"Lammons is very intrigued by the Gators and many of UF’s recruits out at the opening were recruiting him hard for Florida. Anthony Moten, Khairi Clark, and Dalvin Cook in particular were recruiting Lammons hardest. "

Ya'll know the drill..... the worst.....

So disappointing.

yearby wasnt that quiet at the opening.

Dude was killing the lb's in the games i watched....and dilfer and the espn staff talked bout him a bit. He was likely the most dangerous back out of the backfield..

"Lammons is very intrigued by the Gators and many of UF’s recruits out at the opening were recruiting him hard for Florida. Anthony Moten, Khairi Clark, and Dalvin Cook in particular were recruiting Lammons hardest. "

So disappointing.
The type of season the canes have will determine which of those guys we get (kind of goes without saying) IMO

Advertisement

So disappointing.

Moten
Clark
Cook
Lammons
Lane

Disgusting...

really don't see cook flipping

Ya... Interesting for Yearby to see Cook recruiting for UF then predict he's 80% to UM.

If we meet or exceed expectations this year while UF disappoints or flat out ****s themselves it's a totally new ballgame with a lot of these bandwagon jumping recruits. We have to be the favorites to at least represent the Coastal Division in the ACC Championship Game while it's a very real possibility that UF and that one-dimensional offense of there's and less experienced D crashes back down to earth against what looks like a pretty tough schedule. If this scenario, or something similar, plays out this upcoming season just watch how quickly the momentum shifts...

Advertisement
we are a 500 team the last 7 years? Gators have won two championships and lost 1 or 2 games last year? And in SEC?

cant blame them... we need to win and win with that swagger.

Ya... Interesting for Yearby to see Cook recruiting for UF then predict he's 80% to UM.

If we meet or exceed expectations this year while UF disappoints or flat out ****s themselves it's a totally new ballgame with a lot of these bandwagon jumping recruits. We have to be the favorites to at least represent the Coastal Division in the ACC Championship Game while it's a very real possibility that UF and that one-dimensional offense of there's and less experienced D crashes back down to earth against what looks like a pretty tough schedule. If this scenario, or something similar, plays out this upcoming season just watch how quickly the momentum shifts...

who says UF is going to dissapoint? i don't get why so many of our fans are banking on our game vs UF and expect kids to make their college choice around the winner/loser of that game.

****, didn't know Kaaya had only one year of starting experience. I'm even more impressed now.

Advertisement
Lol Florida is going to have the "dream" class that most ppl on here was fantasizing about.

Cook, Lane, moten, clark, and possibly Quincy...got **** gators.

who says UF is going to dissapoint? i don't get why so many of our fans are banking on our game vs UF and expect kids to make their college choice around the winner/loser of that game.

Who says they're not going to? Did I say they were "definitely" going to disappoint our did I say it is a very real possibility they will given their struggles on offense, less experienced defense and their strength of schedule. If you know for certain that they won't or are fairly possitive that they won't please share your reasoning.

The 2nd part of your post can't be in reference to anything in my post since I said nothing about recruits basing their decisions on that one game.

Last edited:
Lol Florida is going to have the "dream" class that most ppl on here was fantasizing about.

Cook, Lane, moten, clark, and possibly Quincy...got **** gators.

But for every one of those guys, we are getting guys just as good or better.

Who says they're not going to? Did I say they were "definitely" going to disappoint our did I say it is a very reall possibilty that they will given their struggles on offense, less experienced defense and their strength of schedule.

The 2nd part of your post can't be in reference to anything in my post since I said nothing about recruits basing their decisions on that one game.

2nd part was to just some people that are banking on this game for recruiting decisions. i hope they fall on their face and miss a bowl game but i do think they will be better than some of our fans expect

Advertisement
Back