2023 The books are cooked and the star system is a complete a joke.

Just a FYI; 247 is a composite website. I know it’s easy to place the blame on 247 for the rating drop, since they’ve become top dog, but 247 always had Jayden as a 4-star (in house), but had him as a composite 5-star based upon their score + rivals + ESPN, as of June 3rd, On3 @LeedsCane

So for Wayne to now be considered a 4-star per 247’s composite, that means one of those other 3 sites dropped his rating (On3), which lowered his overall composite score.

Now, let me be clear, b/c we are starting to sound like Gator fans w/ all this star checking; these sites r not 100% accurate when it comes to evals or predictions, but per tangible evidence provided, their evals r right more often than not. Hence, it has created a star-gazing phenomena regarding recruits. I wanna give On3 a pass since they are new, however their founder has been in the game for a minute, so I’m not sure what’s their criteria out in Nashville, but it’s ****ing me off. W/ that being said, u need a staff that still does it’s own evaluation, & if the two mesh, perfect fit.

Like @Liberty City El stated in his re-post, these rankings can be subjective. I know for a fact, offers does play a role in rankings, so do camps, the area u play in, school competition, stats, measurable, etc. Again, it’s not perfect, but I already posted in another thread about % of players that have been drafted as 5 stars, 4 stars, 3 stars. The NFL has a lot of 3 & below star players in it b/c of the talent pool is overwhelming in favor of such players, but the teams who recruit the perceived blue chips r dominating CFB & those same players have a much higher % of entering the league.

This article **** near verbatim what I said in the “Do Stars Matter?” thread we had. They’ll be a time soon, when a commit to Miami is considered prestige again, & we won’t see this trend of a player getting bumped down. We have an elite evaluator & recruiter now, & the W’s will follow.

Miami fans always feel as if they’re under attack. This will fall on deaf ears. For as much as swagger is our selling point our fans sure are thin skinned.

Advertisement
Miami fans always feel as if they’re under attack. This will fall on deaf ears. For as much as swagger is our selling point out fans sure are thin skinned.
It'll absolutely fall on dead ears for now and we have a very real persecution complex.....that is entirely justified.

It'll absolutely fall on dead eats for now and we have a very real persecution complex.....that is entirely justified.
Some of it is justified. This particular subject is the one where mostly everybody loses me. Who cares what they rank? Everybody in the country wanted these kids

Some of it is justified. This particular subject is the one where mostly everybody loses me. Who cares what they rank? Everybody in the country wanted these kids
I can understand your sentiment because I too am not much of a stars guy. The problem on this front is that all the recruits are, there is an obvious trend on this front (that ON3 is now exacerbating) with us and there's a real case to be made that this stuff could* affect a kid's initial NIL income stream- at least in his first year.

Advertisement
There are now 399 kids ranked 5 and 4-star by 247. I kid you not. This is not a drill. They keep raising it.

There are 37 5-stars and 362 4-stars.

Think about that. If these ranking ever went chalk and were actually right, the entire first round of the NFL draft all the way through the 5th pick of the second round would all be former 5-stars.

But the 4-stars are were the most corruption occurs. Again, there are 362 4-stars. 362!!! And there are about 262~ TOTAL picks in the NFL draft. And think about how irrelevant the last two rounds are. That means that once the 5-stars are taken in the first and top of the second round, there are only 225 picks that remain in the entire NFL draft. That means that, again, if the rankers were correct, and the draft went chalk, 137 4-stars... WHO LIVED UP TO THEIR RATING, AS IN WERE ACTUALLY ONE OF THE TOP 399 KIDS IN THEIR CLASS, would go undrafted!

So the ratings services are telling you that the 38th best player in the NFL draft (early 2nd rounder and instant multi-millionaire) and the 137th best undrafted free agent, who will be lucky to make a practice squad, ARE BOTH 4-STARS!!

It's a joke. They flood the market with 4-stars (and 5-stars for that matter), and then when they hit on one out of four, they crow about it.

And here’s is 2020 NFL Draft breakdown by stars, according to 247Sports.com:
  • Five-star: 19
  • Four-star: 73
  • Three-star: 110
  • Two-star: 32
  • Not Ranked: 21
Only 19 of the 37 5-stars were even DRAFTED!! And they only went 73 for 225 with the 4-stars, but they had 362 chances!

Here is the 2019 first round breakdown btw:
  • 5-stars: 6
  • 4-stars: 15
  • 3-stars: 10
  • 2-stars: 0
  • 1-star: 0
  • Unranked: 1
LOL. They went 5 for 32.

Now, yes, there is of COURSE a correlation between rankings and talent. But as I've said, your near-blind grandmother can point out the 5-stars and most of the top 100 kids on the field and be as right as these wannabe fake scouts. The coaches and talent guys who are actually good at their jobs (and are paid by teams to do them) can tell you the massive game-changing difference between #50 and #350. They don't pile them all together and pray.

Look, this is all entertainment, I get that. And we need to go by SOMETHING when we BS about these kids. Fine, so use the scores. 247 gives a composite 1-100 score on each player.

For example, Malik Muhammad, CB from Dallas has a rating of .9835 while Dylan Edwards, RB from Derby, KS has a rating of .8903 and yes, as you can guess, they are both 4-stars, even with a massive gap in their ratings.

So yeah, one school gets 10 4-stars in the top 100 (mostly projected first three round picks), and another get 10 guys in the top 400 (all projected UFA's) and people point to them as comparable. No.

And yeah, even though these scores are created by 1099 guys who aren't qualified to coach JV girls football or write about sports for a real outlet, if you must give them some credence, don't talk to me about stars.

Me? I look at the OFFERS. Because those are handed out by professional football people.

Fin.
Yup. Check the offers. Usually tells the tale.

Advertisement
This is what I mean about flooding the market with 4-stars to the point where there is a massive, massive, inequitable difference between a high 4-star and low 4-star (again, the difference between a high multi-millionaire NFL 2nd round pick and a UFA that is projected to not even make a practice squad).

Look at last year's final rankings. TAMU had a massive eight 5-star kids to Alabama's three. It's all we heard about. "Eight 5-stars! Best class ever!"

As everyone knows the points system hugely rewards teams who get the elite kids. A top 5-star can be worth 28 points or so and another 4-star kid that you're excited to get can be worth around 12. Huge disparity. So with that, and the 4-star and 3-star counts being relatively even, you would think that the quality of TAMU's class would absolutely dominate Bama, right?

NOPE.

Bama had a higher avg recruit rank than TAMU. That's statistically insane considering TAMU had 167% more 5-star kids. But that's how different one 4-star can be from another. Bama's collection of four stars were so much better than TAMU's 4-stars that Bama was able to overcome TAMU's eight 5-stars and beat TAMU's avg rating and it wasn't even close. .27 is a LOT.

Books are cooked. It's like when you give a kid 1000 tries at something until he wins. The services basically do that for themselves with these 400+ 4-stars they crown. A zillion chances to "be right." Frauds.

They should just totally eliminate the star system and stick to just the scoring system.

Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 1.33.49 PM.png

I am not sure that an evaluation (5/4 stars) coming out of high school relates to a high draft choice 4 or 5 years later.
Most of the high rated kids are near their potential with a somewhat limited ability to greatly improve as they are already close to their ceiling.
Where as a lower star kid might have a much higher potential and some will improve greatly, especially if they come from a high school with limited
facilities. Zion is a good example of low star, with high potential, and becoming a higher round draftee.

Advertisement
Back