The Blueprint (Defense)

View as article
Patke atleast has unearthed some guys. He is the plug ont he NYC guys we got ( weird) and the NJ lb. Harrison Hunte is already showing huge promise.

Blake Baker i thought would give us a foot in Louisiana didnt even realize he is from Houston...now im like wtf. Dude should have us with all kind of offers that way. His recruiting prowess also needs to be in question.
think rumph is gone at the end of the season?

Advertisement
Why do you always come in here doing this?. At this point its only you and dsdcane left.

Also Banda is the south miami contact..the area Marshall is from
can't have it both ways dawg. Either they recruit by area - then why is Rumph getting blamed for all CB misses, - or they don't and why is Rumph who the staff and everyone here believes is complete garbage still in charge of the most important recruits we have left this cycle, and Banda not put on them?

You can keep passing it all off on Rumph and not putting blame on EVERYONE involved all you want, but I won't. Diaz deserves most of the blame, then Rumph, and Banda deserves a lot of blame for our top misses at CB.

can't have it both ways dawg. Either they recruit by area - then why is Rumph getting blamed for all CB misses, - or they don't and why is Rumph who the staff and everyone here believes is complete garbage still in charge of the most important recruits we have left this cycle, and Banda not put on them?

You can keep passing it all off on Rumph and not putting blame on EVERYONE involved all you want, but I won't. Diaz deserves most of the blame, then Rumph, and Banda deserves a lot of blame for our top misses at CB.
I dont know how much time it has to be explained. You recruit by area intiially..AND it also gets passed to the recrtuiting position coach. Its just not a one stop shop..**** a kid could have a great relationship with a GA and or an analyst and he does most of the recruiting. For example a kid lik eJames Williams...DVD had a closer connection than probably rumph/banda. Cooney was the guy for Wiggins/Popee tc.

Diaz deserves the most of the blame because he has a guy on his staff he doesnt really trust to recruit. Thats on him. I dont know why Banda has to always be brought in to the convo. Its like **** how much more ppl do you want to carry the weight of someone making 6 figures?.

I mean they are evaluating 2022/2023 prospects and ninjas want dude to sign his guys, coach em, do that as well. Im sure he helps out with Rumph as well. In fact i remember early on...basically they were dumb n dumber ont he recruiting traila s they drove around together in state as Banda i guess was tecching/or helping him get use to recruiting. At some point yall are gonna say why isnt Lashlee helping out withthe cb recruits as well.lol

Advertisement
its a HC dumb decision to not put his worst recruiter on a marquee prospect that Banda is in charge of? banda is 10000x the recruiter your boy rumph is and its been proven over and over and over and over. if not for banda, we arent even in some recruitments and dont even land some of the guys we have. we have brought in other guys to help rumph recruit a position he cannot. he cannot recruit and he hasnt done enough on field to make up for thst
Then Why isn't Banda currently out recruiting CBs heavy is the ******* point I'm making. Only an absolutely ******* idiot would handle CB recruiting the way it's being handled. So Rumph sucks enough to not allow him to be involved in the major CB recruitments - all of which Banda has missed on (and gets 0 blame, while Rumph takes it all) - yet right now when we have 0 CBs committed (Diaz clearly made the decision to drop the 1 CB we had btw, not Rumph) why is Banda not involved heavily? It just makes zero sense. If Banda is "the guy" for recruiting on defense, then why the **** isn't he put on all the DBs? I swear yall act like just about every other DB coach in the country doesn't recruit both CB and S, but for some reason Banda, who is our best Recruiter can't be asked to do that ... or even worse when he is and misses out on the CBs he is recruiting, people just ignore it and act like it's all on the guy not even being asked to do so..

Yall literally make no sense with some of this sht.

Levels of Blame of CB recruiting failure: Diaz > Rumph > Banda.

I dont know how much time it has to be explained. You recruit by area intiially..AND it also gets passed to the recrtuiting position coach. Its just not a one stop shop..**** a kid could have a great relationship with a GA and or an analyst and he does most of the recruiting. For example a kid lik eJames Williams...DVD had a closer connection than probably rumph/banda. Cooney was the guy for Wiggins/Popee tc.

Diaz deserves the most of the blame because he has a guy on his staff he doesnt really trust to recruit. Thats on him. I dont know why Banda has to always be brought in to the convo. Its like **** how much more ppl do you want to carry the weight of someone making 6 figures?.

I mean they are evaluating 2022/2023 prospects and ninjas want dude to sign his guys, coach em, do that as well. Im sure he helps out with Rumph as well. In fact i remember early on...basically they were dumb n dumber ont he recruiting traila s they drove around together in state as Banda i guess was tecching/or helping him get use to recruiting. At some point yall are gonna say why isnt Lashlee helping out withthe cb recruits as well.lol
Right cause the OC is the same as a DB coach recruiting DBs.... lol. I get it man, because Banda landed a couple elite safeties you don't want to put any blame on his shoulders for the elite CBs he missed out on and was in charge of the recruitment for.

If you don't think Diaz is a ******* idiot for how he is handling CB recruiting I don't know what to tell ya. You also seem to be confusing what IS done with what should be. If Banda is our best recruiter, he should be on all our DB recruits, especially if our HC thinks Rumph is a trash recruiter. What is so ******* difficult about that? And guess what, when Banda misses on the guys he recruits, it's also perfectly reasonable to assign him some blame.

None of that is passing blame off of Rumph or saying he shouldn't be replaced. But repeatedly you can't seem to understand that it's more than just 1 guy at fault for something.

Right cause the OC is the same as a DB coach recruiting DBs.... lol. I get it man, because Banda landed a couple elite safeties you don't want to put any blame on his shoulders for the elite CBs he missed out on and was in charge of the recruitment for.

If you don't think Diaz is a ******* idiot for how he is handling CB recruiting I don't know what to tell ya. You also seem to be confusing what IS done with what should be. If Banda is our best recruiter, he should be on all our DB recruits, especially if our HC thinks Rumph is a trash recruiter. What is so ******* difficult about that? And guess what, when Banda misses on the guys he recruits, it's also perfectly reasonable to assign him some blame.

None of that is passing blame off of Rumph or saying he shouldn't be replaced. But repeatedly you can't seem to understand that it's more than just 1 guy at fault for something.

Ok i dont know how many times i have to say Manny DIaz is the fault here. But anyway ....all that being said....what is the point of Mike Rumph?. Just literally based on what you just typed. Not who is the blame, who could help, who is the best recruiter....whats the value of Mike Rumph as a coach based on your assesment?.

I also LOL @ "because Banda landed a couple elite safeties". You should have stopped and deleted everything you said after that.

Advertisement
Surtain was not recruited by Banda, Surtain Jr played for Rumph in HS.

Banda is a Safeties coach, he shouldn't have the responsibility of covering for another coaches inability to recruit their position. But aside from that, Banda has redeemed whatever misses he had in previous classes by landing prospects like Tae Williams, Jalen Harrell, Kam Kinchens & James Williams.

No matter how hard yall try, the fact is Rumph has not done his job at a respectable level. Blame Diaz, Blame Banda, Blame God, what cannot be denied by anyone is that the CB's Coach of the Miami Hurricanes has not done a good job recruiting CB's, if your solution to that problem is to have a whole other position coach handle the recruiting of CB's coach, then what is the purpose of having a CB's coach in the first place?

Does Rumph receive criticism he doesn't always deserve? Yes. But that doesn't mean he deserves no criticism at all.
Exactly This X 1,000!

Once we fix our CB recruiting you'll see Miami playing at a higher level.

The fact is, we just haven't had elite cover corners here in a long long time & it impacts every other aspect of the Defense. It's become more glaring because in the uptempo spread era of football we're in now it's even more imperative that have at least 3-4 CB's that can cover & we sadly haven't had that.

The key to improving this Defense is fixing the backend, once we cover better it will give our DL more time to collapse the pocket & allow those delayed Blitzes more time to get home, obviously most of us would rather we stop running them **** Blitzes altogether but we all know as long as Diaz is here that's not gonna happen lol.

With the rumors that Muschamp could be getting fired soon or at least by season's end, Diaz should seriously consider bringing in T-Rob on this staff, aside from his great recruting resume, he developed Jaycee Horn into one of the best CB's in the nation, that's exactly what we need in a CB coach, someone who can both recruit & develop talent.
Why not go full turkey and bring in muschamp. Dudes a lunatic but can coach up a defense

Advertisement
The problem with looking at NFL draft trends with the LB position is the NFL has been very inefficient at drafting the position. Most of those names have been underperforming this year. I got laughed off for saying Devin White is overrated and he's been consistently one of the worst graded LBs in the league for 2 years as he's dog**** in coverage and makes a ton of mental errors.

There's value in having a low-upside assignment-sound thumper like Shaq (or a theoretical Jennings with better instincts) as long as you have an alternative for when you're in nickel or dime. The passing game is where football is won and lost but if you can't stop the run you're helpless. It's hard to play undersized run-and-hit types every down when you want your DTs penetrating gaps upfield. I finally saw Carter lining up at LB some on passing downs so maybe there's hope that the staff will mix and match based on down and distance.

thinking about the Lb point D$ made in OP, went back amd rewatched ray lewis frosh highlights at miami.

Man, we forget what LBs are supposed to do. It’s painful to watch what we got then vs. now.

For good measure, went back and watched a bunch of college highlights, Morgan, Barrow, Hester, ST, Reed, Sapp, Vilma....

Sorry, not sorry, we gotta evaluate and recruit better.

We sent better players to the NFL in the 1970s - before we were ‘da U‘ - than we did in the 2010s. That's inexcusable.

thinking about the Lb point D$ made in OP, went back amd rewatched ray lewis frosh highlights at miami.

Man, we forget what LBs are supposed to do. It’s painful to watch what we got then vs. now.

For good measure, went back and watched a bunch of college highlights, Morgan, Barrow, Hester, ST, Reed, Sapp, Vilma....

Sorry, not sorry, we gotta evaluate and recruit better.

We sent better players to the NFL in the 1970s - before we were ‘da U‘ - than we did in the 2010s. That's inexcusable.

I wish we could’ve seen Spence and McCarthy in this defense. They'd get 40 TFLs between them.

Advertisement
I wish we could’ve seen Spence and McCarthy in this defense. They'd get 40 TFLs between them.
Would they have done that with Patke teaching them instead of Barrow? Barrow in this scheme, sure, but I’m not sure Patke is capable of developing guys even with that starting point.

Would they have done that with Patke teaching them instead of Barrow? Barrow in this scheme, sure, but I’m not sure Patke is capable of developing guys even with that starting point.
I don't really buy the development stuff. Most good LBs are good immediately. Spence didn't get developed, he came in ready. Same with Shaq. I think it's more of a recruiting issue than a development issue.

I don't really buy the development stuff. Most good LBs are good immediately. Spence didn't get developed, he came in ready. Same with Shaq. I think it's more of a recruiting issue than a development issue.
I think Shaq was a bit limited athletically and teams schemed into that, but I also don’t think he got much better than he came in. That’s a problem. If Barrow was his coach that wouldn’t have been the case. It’s not to say there was not a recruiting issue, especially in the 17 and 18 classes, but our LB play has been painful to watch.

Thank you!

’developing’ is a label people throw around way too loosely. Ray lewis walked on the field as a true frosh late arrival at MLB and was making plays everywhere. Spence had pure lb instincts from the get go. Taylor at safety did. Not everyone is that good, but great talent is great talent.

‘Development’ is a term that implies coaches have magic. It’s not true. Kids develop themaelves for the most part. Hard work, S&C, film, and practice and experience. Coaches given them the tools and if they’re good, put them in a place to succeed. sure, position coaches give some nuances, but people saying spence wouldn’t have been spence in our current defense are absurd.

Advertisement
Back