The Blue Chip Ratio - Wide Receiver Edition

GojiraCane

All ACC
1644552656553.png

These are start of season roster listings. Some notes:

2007: Jermaine McKenzie does not play, having been injured in an auto accident. So in reality, we only had 6 wide receivers entering the season
2021: Mark Pope and Jeremiah Peyton both entered the transfer portal during the season

Advertisement
View attachment 177481

These are start of season roster listings. Some notes:

2007: Jermaine McKenzie does not play, having been injured in an auto accident. So in reality, we only had 6 wide receivers entering the season
2021: Mark Pope and Jeremiah Peyton both entered the transfer portal during the season
With those kinds of numbers and no seniors, I only see us taking 2 guys unless someone hits the portal. 2023 is loaded with FLA WR's...

With those kinds of numbers and no seniors, I only see us taking 2 guys unless someone hits the portal. 2023 is loaded with FLA WR's...
Lol Fla WR. I can't remember the last time we landed a Jeudy, Cooper, Ridly or Shwartz. Real coaches will look out of state like Jimmy did. I'm shell shocked on the Pope's and the divas we have chosen. I can't remember the last time we had a WR from FL that went Pro besides Benjamin

Lol Fla WR. I can't remember the last time we landed a Jeudy, Cooper, Ridly or Shwartz. Real coaches will look out of state like Jimmy did. I'm shell shocked on the Pope's and the divas we have chosen. I can't remember the last time we had a WR from FL that went Pro besides Benjamin
Are you suggesting we stop recruiting FLA WR’s?

Advertisement
Dorsett did. First round too but was a bust. Herb Waters was a WR that went to the Packers that ended up playing DB. Was a Folden recruit. Ahmon Richards would have played on Sundays if he didn’t have that tragic injury. That’s about it since Benjamin. There might be a few I am missing but even if there was that is so pathetic!!!

Dorsett did. First round too but was a bust. Herb Waters was a WR that went to the Packers that ended up playing DB. Was a Folden recruit. Ahmon Richards would have played on Sundays if he didn’t have that tragic injury. That’s about it since Benjamin. There might be a few I am missing but even if there was that is so pathetic!!!
Hankerson, Dorsett, Allen Hurns, Coley…….. but yea to the real point, we haven’t had a real star in forever while the area keeps producing nfl stars. Hopefully Mario changes the trend starting this class. We need at least 3 of the top guys even if others leabe…. redding hasn’t done a thing here and Worsham has seemed like a candidate to go also.

Advertisement
We have lacked a true superstar WR since Richards got hurt and gave up football. We have had good to very good talent without question with guys like Rambo, Osborn, Harley etc. Right now we have several kids who could develop into outstanding WR's like Brinson, George, Smith and Horton to go with the productive slot man Restrepo and the versatility and explosiveness of Brashard Smith. A guy like Michael Redding is very intriguing in terms of what he may be able to bring to the offense as a potential red zone weapon.

In terms of our future at the WR position, it is very bright as the class of 2023 is absolutely loaded. Having seen what a prolific recruiter Mario Cristobal is and the top notch staff he is building, I have nothing less than complete confidence that our WR class in 2023 will be anything less than elite.

Last edited:
For a long time, there was an impetus placed on "Getting Miami Players!".

Randy Shannon & Golden succeeded at this. They just got took any Miami player.

As the image suggests, the moment we went towards national recruiting, we started getting blue chips.

We have to keep Miami players at the U. We need the "Fence". But don't take JAGs just for the sake he's a Miami player. Lessoned learned.

We have to keep Miami players at the U. We need the "Fence". But don't take JAGs just for the sake he's a Miami player. Lessoned learned.
We just have to improve our evaluations. There were way too many WRs we ignored from South Florida that are better than the people we recruited over them. And I'm not even talking about the blue chippers. Just like in 2008 when Randy Shannon, a LB head coach, took a whole class of Northwestern players except the LB that ended up being an All-Pro.

We just have to improve our evaluations. There were way too many WRs we ignored from South Florida that are better than the people we recruited over them. And I'm not even talking about the blue chippers. Just like in 2008 when Randy Shannon, a LB head coach, took a whole class of Northwestern players except the LB that ended up being an All-Pro.

Was that Lavonte? I'm not sure he qualified, but *****! lol!

Advertisement
I hear people say this all the time, but I never actually looked into it. Did he actually offer every senior Northwestern player except Lavonte? Why didn't the scrub kids with no other offers, just come to the U for a free scholarship?

Hurns

Dorsett is still playing.

Advertisement
Redding is still here? Totally forgot about him. Hope to see something from him this year.

We’re taking 4 in 2023. Minimum 3.

The average NFL career is a little over 3 years and you are eligible for a pension at 3 years. He has been in the league 7 years. Anyone saying he is a bust is a moron.
This. I thought I was the only one who thought the word "bust" was very harsh. LOL. Should he have been first round? Probably not. But when you run a 4.33 at the combine then run a 4.27 at your Pro Day..that gets everyones attention.

Hes had a good NFL career. 7 years is **** good. Where is Rashard Greene right now? We took the right STA WR.

Advertisement
Back