The Blue Chip Ratio - Wide Receiver Edition

I am interested to see the "Post Spring" evaluations around CIS as well as Hecht Center. WR room is getting mighty crowded. Somethings gotta give. I think 1-2 guys transfer out post Spring.

WR room has alot of talent..A core of George, XMan, KSmith, BSmith, Brinson and Ladson is definitely a great start.

Advertisement
Last year’s WR class was our highest rated group since 247 started rated players.

We also had a WR break the single season record for receptions and yards despite not playing in a bowl game.

A WR broke the all time receptions record last year too.

It’s almost like if you play a style that benefits receivers and helps them put up big numbers, you’ll be able to sign the best ones.

View attachment 177481

These are start of season roster listings. Some notes:

2007: Jermaine McKenzie does not play, having been injured in an auto accident. So in reality, we only had 6 wide receivers entering the season
2021: Mark Pope and Jeremiah Peyton both entered the transfer portal during the season
Jermaine did have the injury but his issue was hoes and the playbook he left in my car for like 2 months.

Lol Fla WR. I can't remember the last time we landed a Jeudy, Cooper, Ridly or Shwartz. Real coaches will look out of state like Jimmy did. I'm shell shocked on the Pope's and the divas we have chosen. I can't remember the last time we had a WR from FL that went Pro besides Benjamin
I’m looking at a list of our all time best receivers and almost all of them are from Florida. The only non-Floridian WR in Miami’s top 20 for career yards are Reggie Wayne and Wesley Carrol. I’m not sure what superstar receivers Jimmy Johnson was going out of state for. The only one I can think of was Kevin Williams

Edit: Check that, Kevin Williams was recruited by Erickson.

Last edited:
View attachment 177481

These are start of season roster listings. Some notes:

2007: Jermaine McKenzie does not play, having been injured in an auto accident. So in reality, we only had 6 wide receivers entering the season
2021: Mark Pope and Jeremiah Peyton both entered the transfer portal during the season
Ladson was a blue chip recruit and he’s on our 2022 roster.

Advertisement
I’m looking at a list of our all time best receivers and almost all of them are from Florida. The only non-Floridian WR in Miami’s top 20 for career yards are Reggie Wayne and Wesley Carrol. I’m not sure what superstar receivers Jimmy Johnson was going out of state for. The only one I can think of was Kevin Williams
After the "Andre Brown" debacle I think Jimmy actually kind of soured going OOS for WRs. You are right. Kevin and Wesley are the only ones off the top of my head.

(For those too young to know the story, Andre Brown came in highly rated having virtually set every high school WR record in Illinois around that time. Had like 40 TDs his Sr year or something insane like that. Jimmy told Michael, Brett and Brian that they better strap up because he was coming for them. Needless to say, we didnt hear much from Andre until his Sr year in 1988. Had a underwhelming career considering all the hype even though he had a cup of coffee with the Dolphins as a UFA. Not throwing shade at the guy just telling a story)

Advertisement
Back