The bigger picture from last nights debacle.....

BiltmoreCANE

Freshman
Waking up sick to my stomach is never fun & I don't drink anymore! As stunning and ridiculous as the ending of this game was. This nonsense started at the 4th & 4 with a ******* WR screen (Really!!!?) on the first drive. We looked (esp TVD) so outta sink on O all night.....what the F happened over the by week? Why did our O look so dramatically different and lost. The play calling after the Williams int was terrible and after the FG. I texted my brother back to predict we'd lose 24-20 because of it, caused by the D going for the kill shot only to give up a TD with the game ending with TVD's 4th int. Not perfect but close enough. Can anyone rationally explain what happened not just at the end and but thru the whole game. I mean seriously what gives? I am to the point where I feel like we may never be back in natty discussions ever again. This program has been a shell of itself for many years now but, the debacle we witnessed last night might have taken the last breath from the dying corpse that was CANE football. I could rationalize the ending (well no not really) if this was a toe to toe fight....say unc, clemson. fsu but gt? Give some some serious responses here on why or how this happens in a game like this.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Said after first 2 drives we needed to go tempo or something because we looked wack.. After sideline reporter said mario wants us to be mEtHoDiCaL I knew we were in for bull**** letting GT off the hook while they sat in two high and dictate what we can do. We couldnt run up middle but I think Mario wanted to prove a point against a light box by just pounding against a wall.. We let GT get comfortable in 2 high and never attacked the middle weakness until late. NONE in first half. Everything was middle run, no pitchouts, no outside zone, just run up middle. We didnt really attack them, everything underneath, letting them stay in control and dictating

Teribble

Said after first 2 drives we needed to go tempo or something because we looked wack.. After sideline reporter said mario wants us to be mEtHoDiCaL I knew we were in for bull**** letting GT off the hook while they sat in two high and dictate what we can do. We couldnt run up middle but I think Mario wanted to prove a point against a light box by just pounding against a wall.. We let GT get comfortable in 2 high and never attacked the middle weakness until late. NONE in first half. Everything was middle run, no pitchouts, no outside zone, just run up middle. We didnt really attack them, everything underneath, letting them stay in control and dictating

Teribble
Yes but why? For what purpose?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Mario overthinks everything.

He’s not the only coach. Last night was the blunder of all blunders. But watch other college games and the NFL and I swear you’d think clock management was quantum physics.

How about Texas? Can’t score on four tries from the OU 1 yard line. Plays for a game winning FG, only to leave too much time for Oklahoma’s offense. Easily gives up a TD drive to lose the game.

Winning games like this was the proverbial “next step” in this programs trajectory upward. We lose that game 10 out of 10 times the last 2 decades. Finally winning it, only to have it stolen by your own HC is worse than losing it on your own awful play.

1 step forward, 5 steps back.

I just hope this lights a fire under tvd to get it together. I don't know what will if this doesn't. My issue is I am not sure he can. Georgia tech ate our lunch.

Mario overthinks everything.

He’s not the only coach. Last night was the blunder of all blunders. But watch other college games and the NFL and I swear you’d think clock management was quantum physics.

How about Texas? Can’t score on four tries from the OU 1 yard line. Plays for a game winning FG, only to leave too much time for Oklahoma’s offense. Easily gives up a TD drive to lose the game.
And USC with a Heisman winning QB had to go to OT to beat Zona. See it every week at every level. Games like like ours last night that involve our Canes just sting a lot more.

Advertisement
And USC with a Heisman winning QB had to go to OT to beat Zona. See it every week at every level. Games like like ours last night that involve our Canes just sting a lot more.
Yes, and USC has one of the worst defenses I’ve ever seen for a ‘Top 10’ team. 41 points given to Zona and CU back-to-back weeks, 28 points the week prior to ASU.

Clearly looking forward to Unc...clearly not running tempo or much of the real offense or being "conservative" a bit ...even more so after the qb mistakes.

-Looking ahead.
-Dawson did get rattled imo early by GTs game plan.. then recovered.
-Played about as bad as we could play but still won the game...this includes outplaying the officials.
-Mario and staff gave the already clinched victory back to them with extreme mental errors.
That's it.

Advertisement
GT came out in a soft zone. Our OC didn’t push the safeties to cover deep with posts or go routes. Our run game did well but we lacked tempo to keep pushing their front 6 to stop us. We had a very bland game plan likely because Dawson wasn’t sure what the DC would run.

On D, we had too many penalties and at least three busts for longer completions during scoring drives. We also were put in bad situations 4 times with turnovers.

On the bright side, it was our best special teams game yet.

This game came down to our O turning it over 4 times (at least 3 points/likely 10 lost). Our penalties costing us at least one TD on O and 1-2 on D (4 plus 7). Our mental mistakes(players and coaches) cost us the game. The volume and intensity of which wouldn’t be overcome. If we just cut them in half we win the game by 10 and more likely 17 as GT starts to get pass happy.

The scary thing is that you are right. The guy has serious mental issues. He did the same thing vs Stanford.

Yes he really said that. It was to the sideline reporter in the 4th quarter
It’s got to be CTE. I have never seen a more stupid play call in my life.

Almost makes you think Mario didn’t want to win the game. Wanted to give it to GT.

Because that was inexplainable. Sabotage if you ask me.

Advertisement
Back