The Bear in the Portal

This kid has massive flop written all over him. But its not just him. The higher-level NIL guys arent going to have that drive to get to the next level and get paid. They don't realize NIL is chump change but they blinded by the new income. Some will get it...but some are going to go through the motions, get lazy, etc. Every school has that hurdle to overcome now too.

I still think NIL will start to self-regulate. But in the meantime I expect a few big-name college coaches to bail for the NFL in the next few years. Who wants to recruit their star players 3-4 years in a row on top of their typical recruiting?

Advertisement

shocked philip j fry GIF

That's some apartment. NIL is a positive in terms of accentuating the differences between big city vs. small college towns. Whereas before, the average college athlete could not afford a big city and the lifestyle that comes with that, they now can, which should make a big city more attractive now than it previously was. UM has to capitalize on this. Imagine if we could put kids up in Brickell or Downtown on the water.

This kid has massive flop written all over him. But its not just him. The higher-level NIL guys arent going to have that drive to get to the next level and get paid. They don't realize NIL is chump change but they blinded by the new income. Some will get it...but some are going to go through the motions, get lazy, etc. Every school has that hurdle to overcome now too.

I still think NIL will start to self-regulate. But in the meantime I expect a few big-name college coaches to bail for the NFL in the next few years. Who wants to recruit their star players 3-4 years in a row on top of their typical recruiting?
He was very good at UGA against SEC comp im
Sure he will be fine against PAC12 OL lol

Advertisement
He bearly played at UGA - I know he was a true freshman on a stupid good DL but most of his stats were in blowouts. Probably 2/3 of his snaps were probably TCU, Kent, GTech and whoever the other creampuff on their schedule was...probably Samford or Mercer

He is still all potential and from a kid who basically is at a new school every year and now making pro money....I just think he will be an interesting follow. Maybe he is 2 and done...or maybe he transfers again.

Advertisement
He bearly played at UGA - I know he was a true freshman on a stupid good DL but most of his stats were in blowouts. Probably 2/3 of his snaps were probably TCU, Kent, GTech and whoever the other creampuff on their schedule was...probably Samford or Mercer

He is still all potential and from a kid who basically is at a new school every year and now making pro money....I just think he will be an interesting follow. Maybe he is 2 and done...or maybe he transfers again.
I think you might be over thinking it. If this guy showed any interest in Miami more then half the board would be saying back up the brinks truck and talking about how stacked our Dline would be. This is just college foot ball now.

Lol there is no "probably" needed in your statement.

That apartment probably goes for double that in LA.
I hate to be Mr. Financial Advisor, but 4K or anything close to that is a terrible use of money. I don’t care how much money he thinks he has, anyone who spends that money renting instead of owning is a fool. Or rent for half that price, and invest the balance and turn it into something real.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

I think you might be over thinking it. If this guy showed any interest in Miami more then half the board would be saying back up the brinks truck and talking about how stacked our Dline would be. This is just college foot ball now.
Oh 100%. But I think as I have gotten older 99% of the time I just temper my expectations now with every kid...and NIL is such a new aspect the next few years are going to be interesting.

I hate to be Mr. Financial Advisor, but 4K or anything close to that is a terrible use of money. I don’t care how much money he thinks he has, anyone who spends that money renting instead of owning is a fool. Or rent for half that price, and invest the balance and turn it into something real.

Without looking into it, I can almost guarantee that isn't 4k.

Rent prices are simply absurd in big cities. 4k wouldnt even be a nice apartment i bet.

In Miami, 4k won't get you anything that looks like that. Not even close.

Advertisement

Sure. But tell an 18-22 year old college student athlete who thinks he's invincible and sure to soon cash in on NFL millions and see what reaction you'll get!

I agree with the premise. But it wouldn't surprise me if he's not paying for it. Now, if that's the case, ***I*** would prefer that cash in hand at my age. But at 19, 20... idk if I would have said the same thing lol.

I haven't really paid attention to ins and outs of NIL, but if you are someone like John Ruiz, or any other business person who is marketing through NIL, I suspect there would be no issues with partially paying an athlete by leasing them a condo for free, right? I would imagine this would be a better investment than just handing over all of the cash to an athlete because you own the property.

Advertisement
Oh 100%. But I think as I have gotten older 99% of the time I just temper my expectations now with every kid...and NIL is such a new aspect the next few years are going to be interesting.
I think it's perfect for those that have the resources. The way USC is going the amount of top talent they get via the portal they are bound to get a couple hits. Having Lincoln Riley helps as well though.

Is that apt part of his deal coming to USC???... I mean if he isn't footing the bill then good for him...

Dude should be living like a college kid who eats really well whenever he wants and wherever it makes being an elite college football player easiest (as close as possible to the football buildings and coaches). Then he should be putting the rest of that money into growth and retire at 40 even if he never becomes an NFL player.

18 year old kids being given hundreds of thousands or even millions can set them up for a nice life if they're wise.

Advertisement
Back