The Bear in the Portal

He bearly played at UGA - I know he was a true freshman on a stupid good DL but most of his stats were in blowouts. Probably 2/3 of his snaps were probably TCU, Kent, GTech and whoever the other creampuff on their schedule was...probably Samford or Mercer

He is still all potential and from a kid who basically is at a new school every year and now making pro money....I just think he will be an interesting follow. Maybe he is 2 and done...or maybe he transfers again.
You better watch yourself. You’re getting dangerously close.

Will Smith Police GIF

Advertisement
That's some apartment. NIL is a positive in terms of accentuating the differences between big city vs. small college towns. Whereas before, the average college athlete could not afford a big city and the lifestyle that comes with that, they now can, which should make a big city more attractive now than it previously was. UM has to capitalize on this. Imagine if we could put kids up in Brickell or Downtown on the water
If I’m not mistaken there have been players living on brickel and at downtown gables for years.

Regardless of area, median rent is almost $700 a month lower in LA than in Miami.

Plus if you look at the cost of owning property in Los Angeles , it makes sense to rent a place short term.

I'm an apartment developer who builds in LA (and around the country). I don't build in DTLA since rents aren't that high as others have noted. I build in Echo Park/Silver Lake just outside downtown and west to Santa Monica where I have most of my projects (and reside). In LA rents climb as you go west of DTLA and peak in Santa Monica. SM has the highest rents in the LA area generally running about $6-$7/sf.

DTLA only became a viable place to live in the last decade. Not really comparable to Brickell. The person who lives in Brickell would probably choose West Hollywood or Hollywood if they moved to LA.

I'm an apartment developer who builds in LA (and around the country). I don't build in DTLA since rents aren't that high as others have noted. I build in Echo Park/Silver Lake just outside downtown and west to Santa Monica where I have most of my projects (and reside). In LA rents climb as you go west of DTLA and peak in Santa Monica. SM has the highest rents in the LA area generally running about $6-$7/sf.

DTLA only became a viable place to live in the last decade. Not really comparable to Brickell. The person who lives in Brickell would probably choose West Hollywood or Hollywood if they moved to LA.

You live in the area, I visited on many occasions. That’s why when people start comparing overall rents between cities, without actually knowing the breakdown of the cities, and where the desirable areas are to live, you can get a wrong impression. I would think that you would agree that comparing like areas between Los Angeles and Miami, Miami is significantly less expensive. For example, in the general area I live, for me to live in a similar area near Los Angeles, I would be looking at well over $2 million, and probably a lot more.

You live in the area, I visited on many occasions. That’s why when people start comparing overall rents between cities, without actually knowing the breakdown of the cities, and where the desirable areas are to live, you can get a wrong impression. I would think that you would agree that comparing like areas between Los Angeles and Miami, Miami is significantly less expensive. For example, in the general area I live, for me to live in a similar area near Los Angeles, I would be looking at well over $2 million, and probably a lot more.

I’ll chime in;

Ppl say “L.A” & not realize L.A City is different than L.A County. There’s a lot of slum L.A City areas that are being considered in these apt rates. L.A City have many, many assisted living rentals (Sect. 8). The avg. well-to-do person wouldn’t be caught dead in these areas. DTLA, as mentioned above, recently became semi-desirable to live in recent yrs, yet it’s still slums w/ a plethora of homeless encampments.

Now, with that being said, it’s a totally different ball game when u’re talking about renting in areas like Palos Verdes, Malibu, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, Signal Hill, Beverly Hills, Beverly Glen, Eagle Rock, Palasades, Topanga Canyon, Calabasas, West Hollywood, Studio City, Westwood, Sherman Oaks, Encino, Bel Air, Brentwood, etc. etc.

Advertisement
I’ll chime in;

Ppl say “L.A” & not realize L.A City is different than L.A County. There’s a lot of slum L.A City areas that are being considered in these apt rates. L.A City have many, many assisted living rentals (Sect. 8). The avg. well-to-do person wouldn’t be caught dead in these areas. DTLA, as mentioned above, recently became semi-desirable to live in recent yrs, yet it’s still slums w/ a plethora of homeless encampments.

Now, with that being said, it’s a totally different ball game when u’re talking about renting in areas like Palos Verdes, Malibu, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, Signal Hill, Beverly Hills, Beverly Glen, Eagle Rock, Palasades, Topanga Canyon, Calabasas, West Hollywood, Studio City, Westwood, Sherman Oaks, Encino, Bel Air, Brentwood, etc. etc.
So it’s a no to book a room at the Cecil?
****! was looking forward to a nice stroll on a cool night in downtown LA.
Guess I’ll switch it up to San Diego. 😂

I’ll chime in;

It’s similar to Miami and Miami-Dade county. When people think of living in Miami, they think the beach or downtown/Brickell. A lot of the city isn’t exactly desirable. **** a lot of the most expensive places to live in Miami only recently became desired. South Beach was cheap retirement living until the 90’s. Nobody cared about living downtown until the mid 2000’s and places like Wynwood were dumps until gentrification took over the neighborhoods. There’s only so much land mass in Dade county so as more people with money come to the area, the more developers turn whatever cheap places remain into trendy, expensive hot spots. Little Haiti will eventually be the new Wynwood and Hialeah has actually become a a hot spot for the young professional crowd. There’s very little low income dedicated housing so anything that isn’t gets bought up and gentrified

Advertisement
If I’m not mistaken there have been players living on brickel and at downtown gables for years.
Oh, sure. My point is that NIL now gives kids a better opportunity to enjoy what Miami has to offer. Athens, Columbus, Tuscaloosa, etc. . . . I'm sure decent college towns and great programs . . . but if I'm 18-22 and can afford a residence overlooking the water in Brickell/Downtown (and lots of pretty young women in that area), when weighing college choices, that has to play on a kid's mind.

Oh, sure. My point is that NIL now gives kids a better opportunity to enjoy what Miami has to offer. Athens, Columbus, Tuscaloosa, etc. . . . I'm sure decent college towns and great programs . . . but if I'm 18-22 and can afford a residence overlooking the water in Brickell/Downtown (and lots of pretty young women in that area), when weighing college choices, that has to play on a kid's mind.
The city of Miami has never been the issue when it comes to attracting recruits. It’s the football team that’s been the issue.
As a father of a 10 year old athlete, I can tell you that we’ve been looking at this way way wrong.
To be honest, if a football player wants to come here and the reason he was convinced was because he spent the weekend on South Beach and on Brickell and in winwood, then honestly I don’t want him here. If the reason he made a decision was because he had a party at a rooftop pool with a bunch of beautiful women they were giving him a lot of attention. I don’t want him either.
Think about the kids to go to IMG for example. These are highly rated kids that sometimes go way across the country sometimes from big cities sometimes from small towns, but they’re basically going to a boarding school in order to maximize their talent.
They spend time away from their families from their friends in order to be in a very regimented athletically driven school. Those type of kids ain’t picking the school to see how much fun they can have.
Those type of kids want to go to a place that’s gonna try to give him the biggest chance to get to what they’ve been working on for a very long time.
I’ve written several post about traits that require no talent, but in a sense those traits are a talent.
A kid that wants to spend his adolescent years far away from his family to perfect as craft already has a talent that most kids don’t.
Mario going after kids that play multiple sports is because he’s also looking for talent. But it’s not the athletic kind of talent. It’s the talent of having to manage three different practices three different skills, working to perfect each and everyone of those sports and learn playbooks. The talent to be able to manage being a teammate in those sports at the same time as taking care of academics and maybe even squeezing in a part-time job somewhere.

Those kids are highly motivated, self driven and don’t need a lot of babysitting and they’re attracted to kids that are like minded and get turned off when other players don’t have the same drive as they do.
So, in my opinion, when Mario goes after somebody who plays football, shotput and also plays basketball; he’s not looking at what kind of skills can transcend into the football field.
Yes, there are things that a basketball player, a wrestler, or a track guy does that absolutely translates to the football field, but that’s looking at it on a superficial level.

The city of Miami has never been the issue when it comes to attracting recruits. It’s the football team that’s been the issue.
As a father of a 10 year old athlete, I can tell you that we’ve been looking at this way way wrong.
To be honest, if a football player wants to come here and the reason he was convinced was because he spent the weekend on South Beach and on Brickell and in winwood, then honestly I don’t want him here. If the reason he made a decision was because he had a party at a rooftop pool with a bunch of beautiful women they were giving him a lot of attention. I don’t want him either.
Think about the kids to go to IMG for example. These are highly rated kids that sometimes go way across the country sometimes from big cities sometimes from small towns, but they’re basically going to a boarding school in order to maximize their talent.
They spend time away from their families from their friends in order to be in a very regimented athletically driven school. Those type of kids ain’t picking the school to see how much fun they can have.
Those type of kids want to go to a place that’s gonna try to give him the biggest chance to get to what they’ve been working on for a very long time.
I’ve written several post about traits that require no talent, but in a sense those traits are a talent.
A kid that wants to spend his adolescent years far away from his family to perfect as craft already has a talent that most kids don’t.
Mario going after kids that play multiple sports is because he’s also looking for talent. But it’s not the athletic kind of talent. It’s the talent of having to manage three different practices three different skills, working to perfect each and everyone of those sports and learn playbooks. The talent to be able to manage being a teammate in those sports at the same time as taking care of academics and maybe even squeezing in a part-time job somewhere.

Those kids are highly motivated, self driven and don’t need a lot of babysitting and they’re attracted to kids that are like minded and get turned off when other players don’t have the same drive as they do.
So, in my opinion, when Mario goes after somebody who plays football, shotput and also plays basketball; he’s not looking at what kind of skills can transcend into the football field.
Yes, there are things that a basketball player, a wrestler, or a track guy does that absolutely translates to the football field, but that’s looking at it on a superficial level.
I hear you. I don't disagree. But we know that there are high caliber, talented players that you want on the roster because their talent is that tantalizing even if they don't fit within the traits you described. I think a team can sustain some primadonna types if they are sufficiently talented, provided you have the other players (that fit what you're describing) and the coaching to keep them in line.

I'll just say this.

As these guys get older, as they move from HS to college to the NFL, it is perfectly fine for them to observe and aspire and actualize the kinds of lives they want to lead.

I'm not saying that I want our players at rooftop parties every weekend. But it's fine to show them what life can be like, that if you work hard and succeed, if you spend some time in the NFL and bank your money, this is the type of life you can enjoy.

I'm not ashamed to let our recruits see how nice Miami is. You have to balance the work and the play, and there's nothing wrong with showing them how beautiful Miami can be.

Advertisement
Perhaps I am just old, but is that a desirable view?!?! What exactly is nice about it? Honestly, that is the absolute last thing I would want to see if I walked out on my deck/balcony. Not to mention, it is California, so, ewwww. Good for him?

Advertisement
Back