Off-Topic The Batman

Saw it on HBO Max last night and thought it was a solid flick, but not great.

2 hour 56 minute runtime was not just long, but the film felt long.
Part of that is probably because there was too much quiet, empty space in what I found an obvious and often awkward attempt to create tension that felt unreasonable and unrealistic (the first scene, for instance... how many camera angles and shots do we need with this guy just standing there unnoticed).
The main plot was contrived. We learn a bunch of "stuff" at the end, but it fell flat and unearned to me. They had nearly 3 hours to show the audience and, but instead the reveal is mostly just narrative.
Pattinson... no.
Love interest between Catwoman and Batman felt forced and (mostly) unnecessary to the film. Likely just a set up for future movies.

On the plus side, beginning and ending with an underappreciated Nirvana song is always a good move.
I appreciate the cinematic choice to have longer, complete action sequences instead of smash cuts (the modern action trend). Makes the stakes higher and the sequences grittier, IMO.
The film is mostly well shot, and they create the right ambience for Gotham.
The "Bruce Wayne trying to learn the truth about his father" parallel story was good. More interesting than the A-plot, IMO.
Turturro, Wright, and especially Farrell were excellent.

7/10. Better than most of the DC Universe stuff. But not in a Top 3 Batman film (better than the Justice League or Batman v. Superman nonsense, but not in the same league as anything written/directed by Christopher Nolan).

Advertisement
It’s going to take me a couple days to watch with interruptions oh and falling asleep if after work I attempt.

From what I’ve seen so far is everyone whispering ,close talkers and straight faced frozen.

Still figuring it out

GOCANES

Since Batman is literally my favorite super hero, I’ll give a take on it;

1. There’s a prequel book that needs to be read before watching this movie, as this Batman comes from a totally different angle.

2. It’s dark, and I liked that. If u’re expecting Nolan’s trilogy type of a Batman, don’t. Nolan is a brilliant, BRILLIANT Film producer, & what he did w/ that trilogy was nothing short of amazing. Batman was falling on hard times w/ those goofy, cartoonish versions. Also, I have a love hate relationship w/ Snyder’s films, so I’m glad he wasn’t on this project. It was a different spin, a more of a broken souled Batman caught between fighting for justice & finding answers in his personal life.

3. Cat woman played by Zoe K was outstanding. Not only did she look the part, but she played the part. Really nice casting job.

4. Penguin is a nice portrayal b/c of u know his origin, he didn’t start off as a boss, he worked his way up the ladder. So it was good to see him make that transition

5. The movie should’ve & could’ve cut off about 30 mins. There were unnecessary moments that prolonged the movie, but it kept me engaged

6. The Riddler was a unique touch. Never seen that version of him, but I liked it.

All in all, I would give it a 3.9/5. I can’t say 4 b/c I wouldn’t pay to watch it again & I'm not too sure, based upon length of the movie, if I would watch it again. If it was a 2.1 hr movie, then yeah, I could watch it again w/ no problem.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Actually the only 😎 thing about the movie was the Joker laugh in the back ground at the end as taste of a SUPER BATMAN coming.

This Batman was mostly PI investigation dull , quite/ close talking it dragged on .

I’d give it a 3 star max ( a gift) out of 5 star

Me & my boy was talking; I think DC should start doing anti hero movie. Bane & Joker went over very well w/ critics, & honestly, DC villains r iconic, & it might be a good look if they went dark w/ it. Rated R type ish.
You mean like the second Venom movie when it climaxed with Venom saying, "Fvck this guy", and biting his head off?

Advertisement
I will say this about this new version, The Batman, it really wasn’t as bad or preachy as I thought it was going to be.

The performances were good, the plot/writing was not bad, but the cinematography was incredible, especially the first 90 minutes of the film. I’m not much of a film critic, or a good judge of what’s considered art or not, but if you look at the film from that perspective, I thought there was clear artistry to the way the movie was filmed.

Not that just that it was dark, there are other movies that are “dark” themed, there was just something unique and compelling about the visual aspect of it, that I can’t quite put my finger on. But I know I enjoyed it.

The Joker laughing was the best part , he will always be the heart of all Batman movies no other villain compares.

GOCANES

Saw it about a week ago. I like the much darker take on the movie and the more “detective” side of Batman was nice to see. Pattinson was an ok Batman I just thought the dialogue was below average and the second half of the movie was brutal to watch at times. Could have shaved an hour plus off and it wouldn’t have bothered me.

Better writing would have gone a long way here. 6/10 from me because there were some very good and entertaining moments mixed in with the bad and the cinematography was a plus as well

Advertisement
I really wanted to like it but it just dragged.... I mean I love all superhero movies but sometimes they miss and miss pretty bad.... For me this one missed... Some of the individual performances were good and with the cast they had I really hoped collectively it would be better but man.. it just dragged on...
If they do another one and they probably will I hope they inject more life into it...

I could have edited it down to a good film. There were good aspects. The movie suffers from too many character plots. Focus on Batman and Riddler. The others do not need backstories.

Advertisement
Back